PDA

View Full Version : Australian PPL Hiring a PA28 in Norfolk region

DownunderPiper
27th Jun 2009, 07:22
Hi,

I am planning a trip to England next year and whiel I am over there would like to do some flying. I hold an Australian PPL with time on the Piper Warrior and C152. From my understanding all I need to do is get my Aussie PPL and medical certified by the CAA and then meet any requirments set by the mob I hire the aircraft from?

I will be based near Dereham and am looking for a group who can get me familiarised with the airspace and then hire me a plane for a 5 to 10 day trip.

I have read good things about Shipdham and that's close by, but they don't look like they have enough aircraft to cater for my time away.

BEagle
27th Jun 2009, 09:46
If you simply want to fly a G-reg aeroplane under day VFR and have a current Oz PPL and medical, you shouldn't even need to contact the UK CAA at all:

Exercising the privileges of a Non-UK Licence in UK registered aircraft

Article 26, of the ANO 2005, states that a pilot must hold an appropriate licence granted either by the CAA or by a foreign authority and rendered valid under the ANO to fly a UK registered aircraft.

A JAA licence is deemed to be a licence rendered valid under the ANO unless the CAA in the particular case gives direction to the contrary. A JAA licence is a licence issued in accordance with licensing and medical requirements of JAR-FCL by a full JAA Member State that has been recommended for mutual recognition by Central JAA (JAA Headquarters).
A licence issued by any other ICAO Contracting State (including a JAA State that has not yet been recommended for mutual recognition) is also deemed to be valid under the ANO for the purposes of flying a UK registered aircraft, providing that the licence and medical are valid in accordance with the rules/laws of the issuing State, and the CAA does not in the particular case give direction to the contrary. However, the ANO 2005 Article 26 (4) (a) states that the holder of such a licence cannot:

1. act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

2. in the case of a pilot’s licence, to act as a pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.

(JAA parts dimmed to avoid confusion)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

paulthornton
27th Jun 2009, 11:09
Hi,

I have been flying G reg aircraft in the UK with an Australian PPL(A) and class 2 medical for the past 5 years with no problems. Well, actually my current problem is BFR expiry and not being able to revalidate it here for lack of instructor, but the actual flying has never been a problem :ok:

The relevant part of the official documentation (I keep a copy of this in my headset bag in case it is ever required) is in the UK Air Navigation Order section 26, part (4).

It is summarised in LASORS, the CAA translation into English of the ANO (as already quoted). This can be downloaded here:

LASORS 2008 | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/lasors)

Section A7 is the one that refers to this.
You can't fly IFR in controlled airspace and you can't fly for profit - but I doubt either of those will be an issue!

Most flying schools will just want a check-out on type and will be happy to rent to you after that.

Paul.

DownunderPiper
27th Jun 2009, 13:53
Too easy! Thanks gents

I guess the next thing is any recomendations of where to get the aircraft from?

Phil Space
27th Jun 2009, 15:47
Shipdam should be able to sort something out. Have a chat with Mike Sims.
What part of Oz are you from?
Airspace rules are likely to be your biggest problem after weather.

DownunderPiper
28th Jun 2009, 00:35
I can imagine. I am from Sydney. I would definetly look at buying a few textbooks before arriving then taking a lesson or two to familiarise myself, in adition to any check flights they require.

Phil Space
28th Jun 2009, 13:10
If you are from Sydney and no doubt used to Bankstown then you should have no problem with traffic. However the UK has much more concentrated airspace than Oz and we have a lot more commercial airports that come with restrictions. You need to be familar with types of airspace as well as being forced down near the ground in often bad weather because of the limitations of a VFR licence.
Unlike Sydney the weather in the UK can change very rapidly and over a relatively short distance. When are you coming over?

Norfolk is the nearest you will get to the outback in Australia for quite airspace.
However there is fast jet military traffic and gliders. My advice is try and fly with a UK pilot to get an idea of how we differ. Don't expect to fly over London like you can Sydney VFR:ok:

What are your plans on the 10 day trip. The odds are you can achieve what you want by breaking the trip up. The UK is tiny compared to Australia.
Shipdam and Old Buckenham are about the only places you can hire from as a
visitor.

vanHorck
28th Jun 2009, 17:46
Although just out of the Norfolk area (but a great car trip to do), Modern Air at EGMA (right next to Duxford, a billiard table grass strip of over 700m) has the best Piper rental fleet I've ever seen including several Archer III. All planes are well kept inside and out, maintained on site and the paperwork is 100% including al documents in case you want to fly to France or Holland

The telephone number of the airfield/rental is +44 (0)1763208281

Phil Space
29th Jun 2009, 01:22
Fowlmere is only 65 miles from Dereham but sadly a three hour round trip by
car:}

Zulu Alpha
29th Jun 2009, 07:01
Try Old Buckenham. Even if they don't have their own aircraft they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Details at their website, but wait a few days as they had their airshow yesterday and the dust hasn't settled yet. It was busy and hot!!

Flying School, Flying Lessons, Trial Flights - Old Buckenham Aero Club, Norfolk (http://www.oldbuckaeroclub.co.uk/)

ZA