PDA

View Full Version : Wide Bay airshow

Kippers7
27th Jun 2009, 03:25
Hey,
I'm thinking of driving up to Bundaburg next weekend for the airshow, just wondering if anyone has herd if is going to be any good and worth the 5 hours from the coast??
Any recommendations of must see's would also be appreciated
Thanks heaps..

Grivation
28th Jun 2009, 06:36
The flying display is usually as good or better than what you'd see at Avalon.

MakeItHappenCaptain
28th Jun 2009, 08:05
I'll be taking a pristine Queen Air in for static display. Noise alone should be worth it.:E:ok:
Wide Bay Australia International Airshow (http://www.widebayairshow.com.au/) has the schedule

AEIO-540
30th Jun 2009, 06:05
Hi All,

I have heard Pelair are taking a metro23 to the airshow for static display and Travel Beyond are chartering it to take passengers the out of Brisbane Saturday and Sunday for day trips to the Airshow.

This sounds like a great idea so people can get from Brisbane to Bundy just for a day trip. Has anybody else heard if this is true???

Matt-YSBK
30th Jun 2009, 06:51
MakeIt:
Is that the one that's been for sale in Aviation Trader for 2 Years ?

Mr Milk
30th Jun 2009, 13:45
Matt- that would be Twin Bo VH-CLO. It was in great condition when i last saw it- just after the engine repair. Anyone know if it was sold?
Would be a shame to see the old girl on the scrapheap.....

MakeItHappenCaptain
1st Jul 2009, 04:05
Matt- What Mr Milk siad....

This one's been hangered for at least four years and owner has spent a reasonable amount (by aviation standards) to refit. It's a straight tail 65 with the RFDS rego...VH-FDV.
(Hoping to get easier clearances....."No, we are a Queen Air, just a bit short on aircraft so we dragged her out of retirement!":}

Turbulent Eddy
2nd Jul 2009, 03:59
Can confirm that Pelair's Metro 23 will be going to the airshow on both Saturday and Sunday, as people I know are going on it. Would be a good way to get there for the day without the 5-6 hour drive :ooh:
If you are interested give Pelair Brisbane (1800 676838) a call for further information.

PlankBlender
2nd Jul 2009, 07:07
The PB's co-pilot just had to drop out at the last minute, so he's got a spare seat (or two, depending on W&B considerations).

Planning to leave before sunrise from YBAF tomorrow, should be a beautiful morning for an early flight! The dust haze is pretty much gone from BN, but will go IFR if need be.

Going mainly to take in trade show/careers fair Friday and the general admission air show Sat, taking a small tent and am pre-registered for the camping, so a second tent should be doable.

Returning Saturday arvo. Any spontaneous takers, PM me or post here. Cost contributions on a (PPL type) share basis according to means (without the testing :}).

Looking forward to a great weekend. :ok:

j3pipercub
2nd Jul 2009, 08:04
I don't envy the Pelair lads, an entire plane load of weekend warriors eek

Runaway Gun
2nd Jul 2009, 15:43
Genuine Bundaberg Ginger beer? ;)

PlankBlender
2nd Jul 2009, 17:18
In other words buy PlankBender sh!tloads of BEER

Sounds about right, no spontaneous takers so far, so I'll make my way into the gusty early morning in the next few hours, if anyone needs a lift back, let me know. :ok:

j3pipercub
2nd Jul 2009, 23:56
"no spontaneous takers so far"

Maybe your asking price was a bit steep...

Kippers7
4th Jul 2009, 08:28
Just got back from the show, what a great day.
Heaps of vintage and war birds, and top gear style jet v's v8 super car.
Favorite would have to be the pitts, awsome show..
I recommend going tomorrow if you have the chance.

MakeItHappenCaptain
5th Jul 2009, 01:16
Also recommend PEOPLE KEEP THEIR HANDS TO THEMSELVES. Sure most will do so and it was probably some old fart who couldn't resist sticking his mitts in but I found one of my mag wires had been unscrewed and left hanging on the Queen Air. The other side was halfway undone as well. :mad::mad::mad: Also due to pax briefing cards being souvineered, we closed the aircraft up halfway through Saturday.
Due to a breakage (unusual for a queen:confused:) we won't be there Sunday.)
Owner spat the dummy when he watched some f.ckwit grab a handfull of ignition leads and give them a good yank to see how secure they were.

Personal thanks to the gumby in the yellow gazelle/skyfox making three calls on every leg who inspected every taxiway and then stopped in the middle of 14 despite being asked not to delay as I turned a 3 mile final after extending d/w to give him room.:ugh:

PlankBlender
5th Jul 2009, 03:07
Certainly a weekend to remember, albeit with some mixed experiences..

The good first: Great static and flying displays, heaps of friendly and knowledgeable people to meet, be it fellow pilots, industry figures, or RA-Aus/CASA officials, good food, long long rows of diverse fly-in aircraft, some superb flying there and back; the sunrise flight there with a 25 knot tailwind and almost 150 knot GS in the Archer was fab, complete with calm winds for the arrival Friday morning at 7.30 :) going back NVFR was even better, not a cloud in the sky, dead calm, thanks to the controllers for clearing me straight over MC and BN :ok: and cheers again to the RFDS pilot who gave me a lift in his vintage Ford on the way back to the airport from the campsite on Sat ;)

The bad:

communication: no-one seemed to know how the camping for fly-in pilots worked, first it was complimentary transfer and camping with tents provided, then it wasn't free, no tent provided, plus ridiculous $25 bucks for what turned out to be a one mile drive up the road.. thanks EUROPCAR for fleecing me $15 additional bucks for a non-existing road closure and dropping me off at the wrong side of the camping ground, ended up walking more than driving:ugh::ugh: won't be renting from you in the near future :=)

tech: the speakers airside in front of the main spectator area weren't switched on before mid day, so most of the commentary of the displays couldn't be heard by a big proportion of those present..

ground safety: additional 'barriers' (really another row of advertising) between the spectator area and the speakers made the space next to the main runway very tight in places for the larger aircraft taxiing, and one taildragger promptly took out one of the stakes trying to maintain forward visibility, damaging the underside of their wing and probably the aileron :yuk: the silly displays were duly removed shortly afterwards, the chat the insurer will no doubt have with the organiser about the sense of these particular contraptions should be interesting :hmm:..

The ugly:

display of much more work to do for the RA-Aus guys re training standards: The Cheetah pilot that came unstuck on the generous and well-maintained grass cross strip after giving up on the bitumen due to excessive cross winds, coming in far too fast (yup, we've all done it, welcome to the club :{) and then foolishly deciding after floating more than half way down the strip not to go around again and watch the speed that time, but to try to push the nose down with the obvious hard impact of the nose wheel and following balloon, only to still ignore the obvious excess energy and to repeat the same violent maneuver until the nosewheel gave up and he buried his prop and came to a rather sudden stop :eek: I watched in horror from the tie-down area and just couldn't believe any licensed (or in this case a confirmed 'certificated' RA-Aus) pilot would push the front wheel onto the ground that hard that many times -- at least three of four hard impacts I could see from where I was.. mate, I hope you didn't hurt yourself and/or any passenger, and please make sure you address the issues that this unfortunate incident has thrown up, not only the speed/energy/handling problems, but also the likely stress/get-her-down-itis involved :\

BTW there was much chatter about the RA-Aus CTA endorsement being only weeks away, anyone have the inside track on that one? Some of the GA figures I spoke to said there was much chatter between airlines going into uncontrolled aerodromes and ASA/CASA about this, and some fervent opposition.. most of the recreational folks seem very confident it'll happen very soon, most of the GA folks equally confident it won't happen anytime soon at all.. :confused:

Ultralights
5th Jul 2009, 06:38
RA-Aus CTA endorsement being only weeks away

heard that comment every month now since..... September last year.. casa works fast...

Mustangbaz
5th Jul 2009, 07:33
-makeithappencaptain

I was following you in an Archer, when you broadcast that they should find a flying school for the guy in the yellow gazelle we were pissing ourselves for the entire day..:ok:

thought the show was great although the lack of RAAF participation was a disapointment, the solo PC9 was good but..........

Did anyone see the two ww1 display aircraft crosswind takeoff :\ still have my heart in my mouth those two must have large goolies considering that the heavy t28-wirriway-mustang a/c chose to takeoff into wind..........

awesome day though :D

Jabawocky
5th Jul 2009, 10:52
Hey Plankie, was that Cheetah one with a burnt orange colour and black spots?

J

VH-XXX
5th Jul 2009, 11:22
Apparently not Jaba. It was another stumpy looking homemade, the manufacturer if what I read is correct.

PlankBlender
5th Jul 2009, 20:43
Here's the image, I didn't have the camera out with the right lens on just when it happened, otherwise I would have tried to get it in action which might have helped RA-Aus and the pilot learn from this unfortunate, totally unnecessary and surely very expensive and embarrassing mistake..

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/PlankBlender/IMG_0203.jpg

For the photography afficionados out there (and judging from the amount of really big lenses at the show there are quite a few of us out there, and no, I'm not compensating for anything :hmm:), taken with a Canon image stabilised 100-400 zoom on a Canon 20D, which hasn't got the full frame chip so the 400 becomes like a 640, which tells us that I was a fair way away :}

VH-XXX
5th Jul 2009, 22:51
Supposedly the pilot (aircraft designer) loaded too much crap on board with little regard for C of G. That's what you do in ultralights apprarently, just load it up in the back until it feels like it's too heavy or when you realise that you can't take off or land because you don't have enough elevator authority. If such rumours are true and that was a GA machine, many questions would be asked.

PlankBlender
5th Jul 2009, 23:13
XXX, from what I can decipher from the original photos it's not a VH rego. Can you register a Cheetah VH? Honest question.

Can you back up the speculation about the loading? Do you mean luggage or instruments? Why was he the designer? Was he the actual designer of the Cheetah model? That would genuinely shock me! Or do you mean he was the builder/pilot?

I would be very surprised if that contributed to the accident. He (making an assumption here, most women I think would have had the sense to go around :}) was simply so fast and obviously flustered that he had no chance of putting her down in a controlled fashion during that approach.

All the pushing and shoving he did to bore the machine in seems to suggest he wouldn't have had too much weight in the back, he did manage to point the nose at the ground quite spectacularly a few times :eek: and AFAIK there's not a lot of front stowage in a Cheetah..

j3pipercub
6th Jul 2009, 00:21
Plank Bender,

You are sounding again like sometime out of your league. You weren't in the aircraft, you probably have never flown the type, you don't know how it was loaded . Trying to comment on it, and 'take action shots' to help the pilot learn.makes you sound very condescending. I tell ya what, if I had an accident and you came over with your camera to show me where I went wrong, from that point on, you'd need to sit down to take a photo. And women go around more than men? I can't believe you even made that comment, then again, maybe I can...

You're building yourself a very tall pedestal Plank

j3

PlankBlender
6th Jul 2009, 03:46
j3, you make me laugh :E

From your recent posts it seems you've made it your pet project to put me in my place, or league if you will. Good on ya, keep going, makes you come across as mature for your age, shows you've got a purpose in life that really means something. :rolleyes: More power to you, the industry really needs figures like you! :hmm:

You have no idea what league I play in. How and why would you? It's an anonymous platform, after all. Most of the people are here to share knowledge, ideas, rumours and speculation. Really, if you can't produce anything productive, you might just as well zip it, 'cause you're only producing hot air and making a nuisance of yourself. And as for the veiled threat of violence, reaaaaaaaally :ugh: didn't your mum teach you that resorting to violence in any form is really only a sign that you've run out of arguments?

Get a :mad: life!

VH-XXX
6th Jul 2009, 04:20
J3 is not the only one on a crusade here! There is definitely a trend to your posts and if you are as experienced as you attempt to lead us to believe, that trend is of complete ignorance. If you are not experienced, you can be forgiven for your oversights and enthusiasm to discover the wealth of information that is aviation. J3, don't stress mate, the holidays will be over shortly.

Now, I'll post again for Mr Plank so he understands (he's a bit slow as he only got his instrument rating last year) as when I said "designer" it obviously wasn't clear enough for him. The aircraft was allegedly being flown by the designer / builder / manufacturer / guy who makes them & sells them. The word on the street is that is was loaded in a way in which it significantly affected the C of G. The aircraft was a Morgan SIERRA (not a Cheetah), no doubt loaded with baggage and or manufacturer paraphernalia or similar for the weekend gathering.

My comments regarding GA registration were moreso about what would happen IF it had been GA registered versus the RA rego that it actually was. What I mean is how much trouble would we get into in the GA world if an incorrectly loaded aircraft caused us to crash, not to mention insurance issues etc :=

PS: You can register almost ANY aircraft as GA if you want to.

j3pipercub
6th Jul 2009, 04:42
PB,

Hey. I think you'll find it's not just me that wants to put you in' your' place, have your earlier post about BK slipped your mind ? But you're right, it's just me...

I do know the sort of league you're in, you're a PPL aircraft owner that somehow thinks that owning a S/E piston makes your opinion able to be broadcast to the world, whether it is informed or needed, this case is a prime example. But hey, who am I to have a go at how you , it's just my opinion too huh? Well ok, I'll leave you alone from now on.

Your critique about the Bundy Airshow were really quite good, but you took it too far by harping on about the accident and how you wished you could have taken action shots to educate the pilot? That is niether your right or place.

I don't have a problem with most of your posts PB, just the ones that have undertones of amatuer accident investigation, where you infer you could do better.

j3

PlankBlender
6th Jul 2009, 04:57
XXX, I won't bite on your personal comments, not really interested in getting into that sort of discussion.

I appreciate your experience and knowledge as I do everyone else's here, although I admit it's sometimes hard to separate actual knowledge and facts from the quality BS some people spread here..

As per the facts, maybe you can help the discussion along here: As witnessed first hand, the pilot's speed was clearly excessive -- he floated down more than half the 3700 foot runway -- and he then proceeded to push down the nose repeatedly after each balloon, again clearly a sign of excess energy, resulting in the nose wheel breakage.

Now if he was critically out of aft CofG, how would he have been able to push the nose down like that? We're talking from a steep nose high attitude in the balloon to an equally steep nose down attitude that looked very much pilot induced and not a result of the aircraft's dynamic stability. Again I'm presuming here that he wasn't out of forward CofG as it looks it would be hard to overload this model forward. :confused:

Also, if he indeed was out of aft CofG, wouldn't the resulting nose high attitude and limited ability to correct this with elevator eventually have stalled him as the speed bled off, really helping him to land her assuming he wasn't high at the point of stall?

Honest questions here, I'm certainly not saying I know it all, but I think I understand the basics of aerodynamics and performance/loading, so if there's something wrong in that basic understanding, I'd appreciate candid comments so I can correct my thinking. :D

Let me say again, I am really just asking for factual explanations here, so if we could all stick to that it'd make reading these posts easier, in any case I won't bite on any further accusations/put-downs/personal comments like the one j3 just posted, honestly who do you think you are with your wild assumptions and accusations, it's unnecessary, childish, and boring :=

VH-XXX
6th Jul 2009, 05:32
I wasn't there, however when you are thinking back about what you saw, think to yourself not only about the elevator authority, C of G and speed, but also the effect of Power on the elevator, meaning increased airflow over the elevator surface when the engine is delivering power thus making the control surface more effective.

Eg. You are really heavy towards the rear, you are giving it full forward elevator, but it's not working well at low speed, so therefore you are applying power to lower the nose. What happens to the aoa / approach profile when you apply power then decrease it? It's not going to go well is it? You'd be flaring by reducing throttle. I can't see that ending nicely.

This gel with what you witnessed?

j3pipercub
6th Jul 2009, 05:36
PB,

I said I'd leave you alone from now on, so I'll keep my word.

XXX, cheers

j3

Ultralights
6th Jul 2009, 08:39
ignore function works a treat.. if it makes any difference to the crash investigator, the Cheetah/sierra/diamond series of aircraft dont have flaps.

OZBUSDRIVER
6th Jul 2009, 10:11
Oh dear, He didn't say the astronauts creed-

"Oh Lord, do not let me ef up now!,
Amen"

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2009, 00:24
Keep this on record, that if I ever crash (heaven forbid), that I want Planky there to assist the ATSB with their detailed investigations :)

MakeItHappenCaptain
7th Jul 2009, 00:38
Can I have butter with my popcorn, please?

PlankBlender
7th Jul 2009, 00:57
XXX, I'm quietly wondering what motivates you to continually have a go at others here, and I am sure people who might know you might entertain similar thoughts, but anyway, really no point going into it :hmm:

Thanks for the earlier input, though, interesting thought, however from what I saw I don't think it applies. He did pass me on the initial float no more than 100-150 meters away, and I remember not hearing the engine.. I know that these smaller donks don't make much noise, and I might not have been able to hear it due to wind direction, strength, other ambient noise, etc., but from what I remember it just sounded, looked, and felt like a fast float..

Anyway, with that we're certainly in speculation land so for what it's worth, we're going to put it down as two theories of what might have happened, and unless the pilot cares to chip in or someone offers another explanation, we'll probably have to leave it at that :ok:

j3pipercub
7th Jul 2009, 01:38
Hey XXX,

Awesome, ATSB or A Current Affair, as an expert witness...:ok:

j3

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2009, 02:43
I thought as I read your engine comments that you were leading into an engine failure scenario. Phew!

and I am sure people who might know you might entertain similar thoughts

Those people, find it as amusing as I do!

nohumbug
7th Jul 2009, 03:08
Gotta love the aeroclub/weekend warrior boffins getting all sanctimonious.
i can just imagine you strutting about in all the gear. Telling your "war stories" of who said what on the radio..sheesh

:yuk:

maverick22
7th Jul 2009, 03:37
and unless the pilot cares to chip in or someone offers another explanation

Planky, I'm sure the affected pilot has more important things on his mind at the moment than answering to PPRUNE board of inquiry

dude65
7th Jul 2009, 04:53
Hey mods

How about you either shut this thread down or rename it Play School

j3pipercub
7th Jul 2009, 05:16
Only if I can be Big Ted:E

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2009, 05:33
True, true dude..... it was doomed from post #9.