PDA

View Full Version : IR with EFT

EIPCW
25th Jun 2009, 16:43
Has anybody completed their JAA IR with EFT in Florida? They offer a course where the majority of training is taken place in the US and then you return to the UK to complete the training along with the flight test.

Just wondering how good/bad people found this option to be? I completed my PPL in the states and also plan on gaining my CPL there so how difficult will it be to return to the UK for the remainder of the IR, without having any previous experiance in UK airspace?

Cheers,
EIPCW

destinationsky
25th Jun 2009, 17:23
Hi
Who did you do your ppl with? i am thinking of doing mine with EFT in september. how did you find the flying when you got back here?
sorry its off topic a little!

flying_shortly
25th Jun 2009, 18:02
I don't see why you'd want to do your PPL there when it's much the same price to do it here and you don't have the added visa cost and hassle.

My advice: stay at home, you'll be much more happy and confident or at least that's my experience having considered going to the USA... If you're Irish consider the North of Ireland for PPL; works out a little cheaper than the South.

destinationsky
25th Jun 2009, 19:07
it actually works out £1500 cheaper to do it with EFT than my local schools. you also get a night rating over in Florida as part of the package, which in itself saves £800.
i understand it may be better to learn to fly in the airspace you will be flying in but on the other hand, by going to the usa, i will get experience in other airspace. also a little independence and new experiences.
the £1500 i will save will be invested into hours building.
thanks for the advice though! always appreciated!

ford cortina
25th Jun 2009, 19:13
Well, seeing I did my CPL and ME in the USA, IR in England. I now fly in Africa Boeing 737-800's..... So by that maxim I should have gone to Africa.
I hate to tell you this, but, Airspace is Airspace. Learn JAR RT, and you can use it anywhere in the world.
Okay so in Africa, we are not too sure of Pan Pan, or Roger, or Wilco ( but its fun to use the last two) the Africans prefer Charlie Charile, same as Roger, I think.
Best of luck

EIPCW
26th Jun 2009, 05:04
Destinationsky, thanks for stealing the thread :) Did my PPL in San Diego, have never flown back here in Europe which is a reason why I created the thread. I am a bit concerned on how this will effect me when I come back to finish the IR in the UK.

So has anybody been in a similar situation where they did most of their training in the US and then completed the IR in the UK, if so, how did you find the transtition?

Please try not to change this thread into a USA v UK training debate, it suits me for a number of reasons to do my training in the states

Cheers,
EIPCW

ford cortina
26th Jun 2009, 06:31
As I have already said. I had no problems, it is only a issue if you want it to be:ugh:

EIPCW
26th Jun 2009, 06:54
Ford Cortina

Thanks for the reply, dunno what the banging of the head against the wall part is all about though! I'm just looking for people's experience with this route of training. This particular course at EFT does the majority of IR training in Florida and then you return to the UK for the final part plus flight test, so it concerns me a bit of how I will handle this come the time

ford cortina
26th Jun 2009, 07:14
EIPCW, please understand there are a lot and I mean a lot of repetitive threads on here. I did some of my IR in the USA and the rest and test in the UK, just as you want to do.
I had no problem flying in UK airspace, there are a few minor differences, but that was that.
People will tell you you need to do all your training in the UK, mainly because,

1, they don't know what they are talking about*
2, they have some financial interest, ie Flight Instructor*
3, they have heard off others, who told them etc....*

*delete where appropiate.

Happy:ok:

ford cortina
26th Jun 2009, 07:17
Oh and BTW I am a ex EFT student, with a first time IR pass. :}

destinationsky
26th Jun 2009, 09:55
sorry about changing the route of the thread:O
best of luck with your training whatever you decide!

BigGrecian
26th Jun 2009, 13:53
I did the JAA IR - 30 hours in the USA - 20 in the UK.

Did 25 hours C172 in the US, 5 BE76
10 FNPT II and 10 hours BE76 in the UK.

Completed in minimum time - and a first time pass.

I would recommend you complete more multi time in the US - it's worth the money and helps with the transition!

There were 3 other guys doing the programme at the same time.

The UK portion was with PTC Bournemouth, but they went under - so they stopped doing it for a while - believe they are offering it from later this year.