PDA

View Full Version : Jepp apt diagram linear scale

clm
25th Jun 2009, 16:06
In regards to the linear (given in meters/feet) scale located on the Jepp airport diagram, can this be used to accurately determine distances between taxiways for intersection t/o. On one diagram I ran into, the actual dist. did not match with the scaled dist. on the diagram. It was what appeared to be around 1000' off. Ideas?

Tim Zukas
25th Jun 2009, 16:48
What airport?

clm
25th Jun 2009, 17:08
oops, never mind. Jepp scale was correct. an aerial map we were using did not match. KHST by the way

Nightrider
26th Jun 2009, 07:46
Also I am extremely confident in Jepp charts, one may find discrepencies between the drawing and the real world. Not sure if this is a result of the sources (individual AIP) being outdated or it is a glitch at the Jeppesen rendering end.
I.e., Rome Fiumicino (LIRF - FCO) when using taxiway B eastbound you need to follow a "S"-turn, first right then left; the charts, however, show you a straight parallel (to RWY 25) concrete strip.

That change is now over 2 years old, it was a straight.....

SimJock
26th Jun 2009, 08:01
Not all Jepp charts are 'to scale'

For AIP/Jepp disparity look at Vilnius EYVI parkings postions, the AIP information is from 2006 and doesn't even show the main gate parking on the latest terminal which opened in 2007. How does the authority get away with that ?

Old Smokey
27th Jun 2009, 14:58
As a confidence check of runway data supplied by the airport authority, I check the provided data against the Jep runway charts and Google Earth, when doing runway analysis for the generation of RTOWs and EOSIDs. In all cases I have found them to be very accurate, BUT neither are an approved source of data. They are a very good "confidence check", and that's all.

Regards,

Old Smokey