PDA

View Full Version : Suspect item leads to RAF parade cancellation

Gainesy
25th Jun 2009, 15:34
As it was Boston, I assume the parade was for Coningsby?

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Lincolnshire | Suspicious item halts RAF parade (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/8119161.stm)

extpwron
25th Jun 2009, 15:50
Probably another MOD laptop.

Jimmy Macintosh
25th Jun 2009, 21:15
Sadly ironic, a freedom of the city parade cancelled due to suspect package.

Seems that the city isn't so free.

Pontius Navigator
25th Jun 2009, 21:25
It was the Coningsby parade that was cancelled. The package certainly had wires etc and was in a telephone box. RAF EOD was called in and used a wheel barrow disruptor. According to the police there was no explosive and the area was open to the public later.

No news if the parade will be restaged.

Gainesy
27th Jun 2009, 10:11
If anyone is even remotely interested, :zzz: said item was found to be an air freshener.

diginagain
27th Jun 2009, 10:45
The package certainly had wires etc and was in a telephone box.

From the description, I was half-expecting it to have been the telephone.

TOPBUNKER
27th Jun 2009, 15:56
The item was an automatic air freshener according to the BBC News.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Lincolnshire | Air freshener disrupts RAF parade (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/8121586.stm)

A spokesman for Lincolnshire Police said: "We had no idea what it was, it was something we'd never encountered before."

Hmm, Police have no idea what an air freshener is - here we go...

davejb
27th Jun 2009, 19:07
One would have thought that the first sensible thing to do was to phone BT and confirm this device wasn't part of the normal phone box equipment...

...from a different call box, obviously....

Reminds me of a Taceval at CXX - strange object with aerial sighted on roof of sumptious squadron accomodation/hut delete as applicable. Turns out to be old piece of kit nobody had noticed stuck up there for past decade or two...