PDA

View Full Version : RAF Valley Taxiway Chart.

Tonka777
24th Jun 2009, 20:47
Does anyone know where i could find a taxiway chart for EGOV? I am trying to build an airport for a flight simulator and would like to be able to label the taxiways correctly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The Real Slim Shady
24th Jun 2009, 20:53
You could try the AIDU website.

taxydual
24th Jun 2009, 22:00
Or else, try Google Maps

raf valley - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=CzF&q=raf%20valley&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Isn't it funny how Google Maps/Satelitte have reasonably spot on pics of Military Bases in UK?

Tonka777
25th Jun 2009, 10:33
Thanks for the replies so far. I have been looking at the AIDU website, and will contact them later to today to see if its possible for a civilian to get access to some of their documents. With regard to the google maps suggestion, it is quite high resolution, but not high enough to see the taxiway signs unfortunately. Multimap does not have a birds eye view for Valley either. :ugh:

Any other help or suggestions welcome! :ok:

potatowings
25th Jun 2009, 10:44
Try the UK AIP

Tonka777
25th Jun 2009, 10:55
The NATS AIP is mainly civil airports, with a couple of exceptions. Thanks anyway though.

green granite
25th Jun 2009, 11:55
Sheet 262 of the 25K OS series has the airfield on it.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/orangeherald/valleymap.jpg

Tonka777
25th Jun 2009, 11:58
Thanks for posting that. Although i am specifically after a taxiway chart that has the taxiway designations marked on it. I have Aerodrome charts that show where the taxiways are, just nothing that shows what each taxiway is designated.

MrBernoulli
26th Jun 2009, 13:25
I don't think RAF airfields actually have taxiway designations, so I don't think you will be very successful in your search. In my 16 years in the RAF it was usually ""Taxy to holding point runway 27, call before crossing threshold runway 02." Something like that, anyway. You looked at your aerodrome chart and got on with it, because there was usually only one way to go - RAF airfields, in the main, had a wartime heritage and the layouts are pretty self explanatory, and similar. If you were new to a particular airfield, and unsure of a taxy route, you just asked!

Tonka777
26th Jun 2009, 13:34
Thank-you for your interesting reply MrBernoulli, you make a good point! Would i be correct in assuming that if there are no taxiway designations marked on an aerodrome chart, then there are no taxiway designations in use at that airfield?

BOAC
26th Jun 2009, 15:29
Google Earth doesn't think there are any designators either.

petermcleland
26th Jun 2009, 15:36
Yes, but if you give your taxiways no designations then ATC will just say "AirForce 12 taxy to Runway 27 using Taxiway__" there will be just a short pause where that "__" is :)

AI traffic will also take the SHORTEST route to the FULL LENGTH turn on to the runway, so their exact route will depend on where they are parked and not all will necessarily use the same route :bored:

It is hard to make AI traffic use an earlier runway entry than the full length but on landing they will turn off the runway at the first point available when their speed is reduced to about 12 or 14 knots...This can be adjusted a bit by changing their braking effectiveness or the drag on things like Gear and Spoilers :)

sunnybunny
26th Jun 2009, 15:42
Looking at the google view

Someone has done a good job of mowing patterns on the triangular piece of grass in front of the hawks on the seaward side of the airfield.

And is that a hunter parked up on the top right side?

Tonka777
26th Jun 2009, 15:49
Thank-you for the replies, they are all much appreciated. :ok:

There is a Hunter Gate Guardian at Valley - RAF Valley - Gate Guardian (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafvalley/aboutus/gateguardian.cfm)

MrBernoulli
26th Jun 2009, 18:05
Would i be correct in assuming that if there are no taxiway designations marked on an aerodrome chart, then there are no taxiway designations in use at that airfield?

Yes, I believe so, for UK military airfields. Large civilian airfields may have an overall aerodrome chart that, whilst showing all the runways and taxiways, may not show any taxiway designations. There are usually a couple of other taxiway plates that will give more detail and any designators, if they exist.

Op_Twenty
27th Jun 2009, 10:52
RAF Valley has no taxiway designation. I think that the only one's that do will be big bases like Brize, but you'd have to ask someone else. All the Fast Jet bases I've flown into, in the UK, have had no taxiway designators. Hope this helps.

Tonka777
27th Jun 2009, 12:45
Many thanks to MrBernoulli & Op_Twenty for those last two replies, that clears the issue up perfectly.

CAR105
24th Aug 2009, 01:44
I see this thread is a few months old, However if you're still searching for info. Have a look at Page 572 of Pooleys flight guide.

Although it does confirm that there are no taxi way designators, it does show the position of the tower and A/C parking, a hangar and a couple of buildings (Ops/Flight planning building) and two others (unnamed).