PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

fe_fkf
19th Jul 2014, 06:31
Does the stage 1a interview (Compass test) for the ab initio program comprise of Physics???

Yep i was asked some physics mc questions in the compass test...it should be some high school level physics

dolpinsky
19th Jul 2014, 07:49
Anyone knows what kind of assessment is included in the 1wk flight grading? I know there is stall recovery, but what else?

mast000
19th Jul 2014, 10:53
Its actually depends on how many hours you already have...

strawhatpilot
19th Jul 2014, 12:26
What if it's less than 100

DrakeSkyle
19th Jul 2014, 13:05
Anyone knows what kind of assessment is included in the 1wk flight grading? I know there is stall recovery, but what else?

Basic aircraft control, stall recovery, wingovers, circuits (intermediate grading only). Just pretty basic stuff.

dolpinsky
19th Jul 2014, 13:19
I know, just wasn't sure if they've changed a lot after cutting a whole week
anyway thx!

dolpinsky
19th Jul 2014, 13:19
DrakeSkyle (http://www.pprune.org/members/413855-drakeskyle)
thx!
Is it the same as KA?

DrakeSkyle
20th Jul 2014, 03:09
DrakeSkyle
thx!
Is it the same as KA?

Hm not sure about KA as I've never done it.

strawhatpilot
20th Jul 2014, 14:42
What type of "papers" are you referring to? Other than an HKID and "papers", are there other specific things that they look for when looking at your application?

chris186
20th Jul 2014, 15:53
KA too. Few PPL holders have just got turned down at the 2nd last stage (FTA assessment). Really talented people. So yes he is right. PPL won't secure ur chance. It still comes down to your aptitude, EQ and interview handling.

Good luck~

ExcaptainCX
20th Jul 2014, 22:11
A PPL is just a benefit to the interview it doesn't guarantee you with a place. Even if you had a CPL or an ATPL that obviously will give you a benefit but not a guarantee. Really it just makes you have the benefit of the doubt that you ACTUALLY understand how these things work and you can put it in practise instead of just parroting all the information. And if you tick all the boxes then you will secure an interview. As we all know it doesn't automatically get you a place in CX. As soon as you get invited to your 1a then it is upto you to perform to get the job. You can never have to much knowledge in this industry.

strawhatpilot
21st Jul 2014, 04:43
Thanks, and very insightful information. But what type of "boxes" are you referring to?

The_Architect
21st Jul 2014, 08:19
Whether there is an advantage in having one or both of those depends greatly on the type of person you are.

If you think having a larger number and a shiny license alone will help in the interviews, tough luck. The moment you show them that you have more logged hours and qualifications you will no longer be treated gently.

The company wants to see evidence that there is individual growth and passion for flight. Spoonfed knowledge and large amounts of time in an aircraft proves little in terms of capability and aptitude. You can almost say the main advantage in getting a license before hand comes after selection when you courses begin,where for a large part you will be presented with familiar materials.

btw, its cold down here

DrakeSkyle
21st Jul 2014, 10:54
Whether there is an advantage in having one or both of those depends greatly on the type of person you are.

If you think having a larger number and a shiny license alone will help in the interviews, tough luck. The moment you show them that you have more logged hours and qualifications you will no longer be treated gently.

The company wants to see evidence that there is individual growth and passion for flight. Spoonfed knowledge and large amounts of time in an aircraft proves little in terms of capability and aptitude. You can almost say the main advantage in getting a license before hand comes after selection when you courses begin,where for a large part you will be presented with familiar materials.

btw, its cold down here

How the hell did you get wifi? :p

sugizo20
21st Jul 2014, 11:18
May I know what the size is in your batch? Any more classes upcoming in the next few months?

Foxdeux
21st Jul 2014, 13:39
Having a PPL will help you get to 1a but everything after that it's all up to you. They really want to know if you will be a good fit for the company so there are certain character traits they are looking for. So don't think that just because you have a PPL or really love aviation means you will get through, there's more to being a commercial airline pilot than just being an aviation enthusiast.

The_Architect
21st Jul 2014, 23:31
Gotta be a go-getter if you wanna be a pilot right Drake?

ExcaptainCX
22nd Jul 2014, 02:12
That's true there are many young and older people whom are aviation enthusiasts. However to get in an airline you have to have a huge commitment and a certain drive. They do care about your school grades etc..... but once you get into 1A its all upto you. You are the only person that can perform. As I said previously a ppl will only help with you basic understanding of an aircraft. But not an interview. Cathay Pacifc isn't investing in cadets there investing in future captains.
Ps someone asked me what to wear for an interview. Dont turj up in a hawaiin shirt and shorts please use your common sense no names mentioned here but they didn't get through.
Pps to all you younger lads don't listen to anyone else even if you haven't gone to university you can still get it they won't judge on your age thats why its open to 18 year olds you just have to show maturity.

orangeboy
22nd Jul 2014, 05:05
It will probably also come down to your age and location whether having any flying is beneficial or not.

If you are out of uni and live outside of Hong Kong say Canada, USA or Australia, then there shouldn't be any reason why you haven't atleast done a few lessons. Even if you are still at uni, having some flights under your belt wouldn't be too much of an expectation.

Don't get lessons for the sake of trying to improve your interview chances. Do it because that's what you trully want to do.

Question to ask yourself is, if I fail, am I going to say "well i tried" or "I love flying and this is what I want to do with the rest of my life, I am going to get all the licenses regardless of the outcome".

If the latter is your choice, then take up flying lessons. If it isn't, you probably need to think about another career.

ExcaptainCX
22nd Jul 2014, 05:29
You hit the nail right on the head. I agree with you. It won't better your chances having a licence. In my opinion if you want to be a pilot you have to be wanting to do it from a young age. If your in your 20s and then you go "oh yeah I THINK I want to be a pilot even though ive never stepped foot in an aircraft and in it for the money that is the wrong attitude. And even though people have passed with no experience its better to have at least a couple of lessons to know if you truly like it then waste a year on interviews and then do the flight grading and it turns out that you dont like it.

strawhatpilot
22nd Jul 2014, 06:06
What are some traits and personalities that they are looking for their cadets to possess?

ExcaptainCX
22nd Jul 2014, 10:19
Commited,focused and interested in aviation with a good knowledge. Also a sensible and matute individual.

Captain Dart
22nd Jul 2014, 10:24
...also a willingness to work on days off, no requirement for decent housing, or a pay rise for decades, and overwhelming gratitude for being allowed to sit in someone else's big, shiny jet 11 kilometres high all night over most of the Third World.

A passion for filling out computer flight plans, making up crew bunks, shouting on HF radio and not being interested in a Command for at least 15 to 20 years would also be an advantage.

strawhatpilot
22nd Jul 2014, 11:32
hahahaha, very interesting indeed.

So what are some examples of questions that they've asked to see if your character traits align with what they look for?

Cheungccc
22nd Jul 2014, 16:56
Hello everyone,
is there anyone having their stage 2 on Aug 28?
if yes please PM me!
Thank you very much!

AlvinLiu
23rd Jul 2014, 03:56
Hi guys!
I am going to attend stage 1a in 30th July.
Here to say hi;)

bbq6232
24th Jul 2014, 10:00
Pls PM me if you are on the same day

Thanks!

dolpinsky
25th Jul 2014, 17:26
Feels that I'm ready and gonna reapply for it very soon. Do you guys know normally how long is the waiting period for reapplying applicants?

crwkunt roll
26th Jul 2014, 02:34
Hi guys, I hv some questions about the functional reach test.This is a benchmark reference for the future, if you make Captain. The company will use it to determine the distance at which you need to be from the S/O to deliver a full impact blow to the side of the head when they: answer you back (very common with these new kids), touch anything, complain about their salary, or play candy crush in the back seat whilst taxying.

bobomdpilot
26th Jul 2014, 03:56
dolpinsky (http://www.pprune.org/members/384433-dolpinsky), Normally is one year. but my friend just waited for half a year. so I guess it depends on which stage or what items u failed previously.

CaptainLimbu
26th Jul 2014, 07:32
I might not be 100% correct but to the best of my understanding,

Q) in the lift formula, lowering the trailing edge flaps increases......
A) S
B) Cl
C) Cl & S
D) V

I think the answer for this question would be

C) Cl & S.

Reason: Cl increases when Flaps are extended, and Wing area (S) increases as Flaps are extended... Hope this helps!

Here is a link: http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/flight-planning/aircraft-lift-formula.php

dolpinsky
26th Jul 2014, 14:30
Thx! :O
Will you happen to know how long do reapplying applicants usually wait before getting invitation?

bbq6232
28th Jul 2014, 04:11
Anyone is going to have Stage 2 interview on Nov 3?

Pls pm me / leave a message here! Thanks ;)

The_Architect
29th Jul 2014, 02:02
There aren't a lot of entries here regarding the recent flight grading process, mainly because most people come to ask a few unanswered questions and never return, and those who do frequent the place just stalk people and read. So this first-person entry regarding FG is in response to a some frequently asked questions and a few personal requests. Flight Grading these days may be shorter and the planes can be different (or about to be), but rest assured they look for the same qualities and standards in the applicant.

Just to clarify, basic grading these days contains FOUR flights, look at it as a week-long aptitude test. Before each of the flights the applicant will be briefly lectured on what to expect the upcoming flight. Some will be told by e-mail a compass test is included during the stay in Adelaide, but it doesn't exist, flight grading only included flight assessment if not a few technical questions asked by the instructor. For most people who passed stage 2 the purpose and effects of aircraft controls are obvious, but practicing them on the field is a different story. Through the week the basic applicant will be taught to to climb, descend, maintain level flight, turn, practice stalls and do wingovers. Instructor are basically told to note how well / fast do you learn and recall knowledge.

The amount of pointers available for this level are much less than that of Stage 1 and 2, and due to individual difference the variation and expectations differ among instructors. In other words, flight grading is different for everyone, there isn't a specific scale that points to good or bad. Another factor to keep in mind is that the grading is assessed as a whole, and one should not focus too hard on their first few flights, because they weren't meant to be perfect...After each flight there will be a short debriefing between the applicant and instructor noting any errors and room for improvement. However, they will not be told whether they have done well or bad in the instructors perspective.

Bear in mind that these flying instructors are trained to give pressure and watch for reactions, and people in the past have succumbed to it. During my second flight, my mind went blank for several minutes during a series of maneuvers, the instructor whom had been pumping pressure almost made brought it to a tipping point. It was among the spewing saliva and cussing that I silently thought to myself everything I had worked for could very well end in that ****ty minute.

To a lot of applicants, myself included, flight grading is a mystical land of fairies and unicorns that is one step next to heaven, the final YES for acceptance into the CPP and ultimately SO in Cathay Pacific. FG was the land so far that only few will have the privilege of visiting in their lifetime, but at the same time the last and final battleground where the hero will face the ultimate boss and his fate. With no exaggerations, failing anything beyond Stage 2 result in a permanent ban from re-application.

The last seven months was a bumpy ride, and I sincerely thank all of those whom have helped me in the selection process both on the board and behind the scenes, and hope the people I have helped directly and in-directly in the past can send the love forward to applicants to come. Within the next month I will receive the message that will tell me whether it is for all or nothing. Wishing everyone on this board the best of their endeavors. Good luck.

mygcdjmyxzg
29th Jul 2014, 14:27
The_Architect

Thanks for your detail description on flight grading.
Wish you could get the offer.

dragunovos
30th Jul 2014, 02:08
Anyone here have their stage 2 on Oct 30th? Send me a pm or email :ok:

chan1008
30th Jul 2014, 05:20
Any one here will have stage II on 5th November? It's time to meet up and study for it. Send me a PM for contact...thanks^^

ODP
30th Jul 2014, 07:43
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the application process for ab initio when they would qualify for Advanced Entry? And if so could they shed some light on what would be expected.

Any insight would be appreciated. Please PM me

Thanks

mast000
30th Jul 2014, 08:02
just wonder how would you have 1a and 1b on next week as no one knows if he could make to 1b before taking the 1a......

dolpinsky
30th Jul 2014, 08:04
ODP, are you overseas applicant?

ODP
30th Jul 2014, 08:09
I live in brisbane but was born in HK and have a HKID

dolpinsky
30th Jul 2014, 08:23
Did you choose Hong Kong as the 1st preferred interview location? :)

ODP
30th Jul 2014, 08:31
No I chose Brisbane but I don't think they are doing interviews anywhere other than HK at the moment

Pilot852
30th Jul 2014, 09:28
If you live overseas but fly to Hong Kong to interview then CX schedule 1a and 1b for you on consecutive days

bobomdpilot
31st Jul 2014, 03:46
Yeah overseas applicants will be advised both 1a and 1b schedule on the email. I did 1a on Mon and 1b for the next day. the process is relatively faster I suppose..

AlvinLiu
31st Jul 2014, 10:28
The_Architect, thx so much for your sharing and wish you all the best!!!

AlvinLiu
31st Jul 2014, 10:31
Hey guys!

Thank God I've just received the email from Cathay inviting me to attend Stage 1b in the mid of August!
Is there anybody with me? Lets have a chat here :ok::ok:

tehbat
31st Jul 2014, 15:43
Congrats! It took a whole month to schedule 1b huh? How long did it take to find out you passed 1a?

Cheungccc
31st Jul 2014, 17:56
Please PM if there is anyone having stage 2 on AUG 28

AlvinLiu
1st Aug 2014, 02:12
Congrats! It took a whole month to schedule 1b huh? How long did it take to find out you passed 1a?

It took 2 days only... Pretty fast now.
And fyi, some candidates from my time slot received the letter of failure right after walking out of cx city...

gclocal
1st Aug 2014, 04:42
HI! Anyone here who are doing FG at the titled period? Please kindly PM me and perhaps we could meet up prior to that.

strawhatpilot
2nd Aug 2014, 04:58
Does anyone know if they have any preference for what we put down for travelling documents? Canada, US, BNO, HK passport? Thanks!

CaptainLimbu
2nd Aug 2014, 06:15
Mate, I believe it doesn't really matter what Passport you hold. Nevertheless, the cadet program accepts applicants who hold a permanent HKID card. To sum up, if you hold HK's permanent ID card you're good to go, regardless of whichever country's travel document you hold. Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Flyonedayhk
3rd Aug 2014, 14:26
Hey everybody
I am new here, just got one question
When you guys apply online, you guys all choose the second officer?
I am wondering I should choose another for cadet instead of SO
Please tell me so that I can do some changes to my application. thanks

Flyonedayhk
3rd Aug 2014, 14:32
Hey everybody
I am new here, just got one question
When you guys apply online, you guys all choose the second officer?
I am wondering I should choose another for cadet instead of SO
Please tell me so that I can do some changes to my application. thanks

strawhatpilot
3rd Aug 2014, 16:11
I was just wondering when Cathay hires you or when you get accepted in the cadet programme, are you allowed to sign the contract as a company and not as an individual? (Due to double taxation if you're a citizen of another country as well)

waiii06
4th Aug 2014, 11:50
Hi, is anyone go for initial A on 20 Aug?

Cpt. Underpants
4th Aug 2014, 13:33
No, you can't sign a contract as a company.

History lesson: Cathay is currently embroiled in what may be it's most costly HR lawsuit ever after closing the Paris base. The base was closed after innumerable mistakes and omissions regarding taxation and other social security issues by CX. With the possibility of HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of euros in lawsuits looming, CX will NEVER permit anything that even remotely looks like a tax avoidance manoeuvre.

Additionally, CX have always included this statement in their employment contracts :

"Residential and taxation issues are to your own account". In other words, your baby.

Other_Flying_Object
7th Aug 2014, 07:28
There are many whispers....

Is it happening....

Is it real....

Do they mean it when they give you the option to apply for an FO position? (Stirring... but its there on the application....)

Or has everyone who qualifies applied to KA already? ;)

Let the entertainment begin!

CPA777
7th Aug 2014, 16:52
DEFOs?

please not..

nyxi
9th Aug 2014, 02:57
Does anyone here experience no invitation after 1b for more than 1 month? I wonder what could it be.

CaptainLimbu
9th Aug 2014, 04:45
I believe if you haven't received any email for a month after 1b, you might have performed well and moved on to the next stage, the allocation of the date of the next interview takes time and depends on the time frame, from what I've heard it takes another 2 months for a candidate to be called for stage 2.
Be positive, work hard and never give up regardless of the outcome, Cheers!:ok:

bobomdpilot
11th Aug 2014, 06:54
Don't worry about it too much. I waited for four months becoz of the medical stuffs. just give it couple more weeks, send them an email or give them a call if u still heard anything by then.

mast000
12th Aug 2014, 00:26
it really depends on case by case, i know around 10 ppl receive emails for stage 2 around 2 weeks after their 1b recently

GG4737
12th Aug 2014, 08:12
Is there anyone attends stage 1A on 4 Sept? please PM to prep together in advance, thanks!

bbq6232
12th Aug 2014, 08:37
Stage 2 on Nov 3

Pls pm! ;)

winnerhy
13th Aug 2014, 03:31
Hi, is there any applicant from Singapore? I am going to have my initial AB in September, just wanna form a study group if there's anyone in SG here :)

GG4737
13th Aug 2014, 07:18
winnerhy, just curious are you a permanent HKID card holder?

The_Architect
13th Aug 2014, 19:28
Hi guys,

Its been approximately two weeks and four days since I return from flight grading, during this time people continuously came to me for tips and what not whether that be the keyboard or real life. Lets cut to the chase; I am finally stressed out... The last four days were just as frustrating if not more frustrating than the final hours before Stage 1B and 2.

I tell every concerned applicant who come to me the last few months the same thing: "go meet up with your stage buddies", which to me at the time was the best therapy for anxiety. Sharing our knowledge and desire to fly was the most stress relieving activity any applicant can do. The sense of belonging and mutual-reassurance got me through most of the selection, and its a treasure that I will hold onto for a long time. Yet, it can also be a fragile and short-lived moment.

I am blessed to have ever resilient Stage 2 and flight grading comrades, that I know will not give up upon rejection by CX, that I know still have a chance to be in the skies someday. Yet I kept picturing myself in similar position, will I be strong enough to make a quick recovery and apply as soon as time allows? Will I be able to risk the same humiliation?

I feared rejection... not lying... and I will fear applying and re-living the nightmare if that happens. I told the HR otherwise during 1B, but as always, its easier said than done.

My Stage 2 and flight grading buddies, the people I help on and off the scenes, whoever I shared with my dreams and hopes; it will delight me to see them fly, but knowing that part of me is with them it hurts to see them fall. And that is precisely the reason why the adrenaline stopped coming after Stage 1B; it is hard to continue without some people.

To all my friends,

I pray you catch up someday and fulfill your dreams. Do ask me for a hand at your will.

God Bless

That goes for all of you. See you in the skies.

winnerhy
14th Aug 2014, 05:29
Yes, I am a HKPID holder :)

AlvinLiu
14th Aug 2014, 09:53
The_Architect,

Congratz. man!

I finished stage 1b and waiting for the email. Wish we can meet at FTA!!! :ok:

CaptainLimbu
14th Aug 2014, 09:57
I really appreciate your efforts mate, wish you luck and best wishes for the FG results.
Hope to meet you soon in Adelaide!

DrakeSkyle
14th Aug 2014, 10:53
Congratulations and well done! You deserve it. See ya soon.

dolpinsky
14th Aug 2014, 12:19
Congratulations! :D
When will ur flight training commence!? :)

kl0887
16th Aug 2014, 06:08
Congratulations architect :) we knew you were gonna make it

Rh927
17th Aug 2014, 14:06
hi is it possible to apply more than twice? I heard someone said you got 2 chances only for your ENTIRE LIFE. Is this true? thanks a lot!

ProPwannabe
17th Aug 2014, 15:44
stage 2 group exercise & flight planning

can anyone share what their exercise and task was about?

thanks!

jasonlau803
18th Aug 2014, 05:10
Hi everyone,

So sad, I failed at stage 1b and received an email of rejection.

There is one part of content I don't really understand.

"Should you wish to re-activate your application, kindly contact Ms. XX at [email protected] in six months time from the date of this letter and we will endeavour to review your application, with a view for you to re-commence the Cadet Pilot selection process."

Typically, a new application must wait for 12 months after rejection right? However this message confuses me.

Does anyone has any idea?

Cheers.

CISTRS
18th Aug 2014, 09:03
Sorry about the rejection notice.

What part of "six months time from the date of this letter" don't you understand?

If you do wish to reactivate your application, make sure you quote that letter, with its reference.

Best of luck for the future.

chris186
18th Aug 2014, 13:01
I see what ur concern is.

6 months means u were not quite ready to move to stage 2 yet. But because u did well overall, your reapply period is shorten from 12 to 6 months. U almost passed the 1b interview.

Use this 6 months time to review ur weak answers during interview.

U almost made it through so don't need to be too sad, next time u will be better, right?

Regards

kelevra
19th Aug 2014, 01:21
@chris186

@jasonlau803

I don't know if the "12 to 6 months" thing you mentioned is correct. For my third attempt, I got rejected after Stage 1A and also received a 6 month wait period. My first attempt I got into Stage 1B and failed and received a 12 month wait period (this was when they were still doing the WOMBAT instead of the COMPASS).

I don't know if I read it here in this thread or somewhere else but I read that CX is increasing their demand for Cadet applicants, which may be a reason for the change to a shorter waiting period.

orangeboy
19th Aug 2014, 01:34
If you can't understand an email of when to reapply, then please don't apply.

Not that hard to understand the difference between 6 months and 12 months is it?

indomi
19th Aug 2014, 02:14
Normally,the waiting period is only 6 months if you fail in 1a.

DrakeSkyle
19th Aug 2014, 04:52
If they tell you to reapply after 6 months, reapply after 6 months, simple as that. Debating on 6 vs 12 months isn't going to help you pass the second time around.

chris186
19th Aug 2014, 06:49
Ah yes.. They are all right, just reapply in 6 months time for ur 4th attempt 😜

AB346
19th Aug 2014, 09:51
Hey I will be having my 1A on the 2nd.

Will_ninenine
19th Aug 2014, 11:01
Hi All, managed to read some of the posts here and it is extremely helpful,
so firstly and huges thanks to all.

Is anyone from the UK got their 1A on the 29th September??? contact me if you do please would be good to have some to prep with.

Could anyone recommend some good books to help prepare with the compass aptitude tests?
I've completed and passed aptitudes tests before but that wasn't for the avaiation industry. But want to be as well prepared as possible, so figured books on the train while travelling to work will be a good choice, so can anyone help? or point me in the right direction?

If anyone has passed the 1A and 1B please get in touch, I would love to hear about your experience and what to expect etc... Thank you.

Any help will be hugely appreciated,
Cheers all.

Kind regards,
Will.

chris186
20th Aug 2014, 15:35
Will,

Try google "sky test". It's quite similar to the "compass" test used by Cathay.

And also try read up more aerodynamic and principles of flights resources online for the JKI test in 1A. The booklet is not really enough for u to pass the test. Go search FAA website there's a free aeronautics theory book in there. If not, many online source also have ATPL theory books around. Just focus on aerodynamics as meteorology and u will be good for JKI test.

chris186
20th Aug 2014, 15:37
Will,

Sorry to clarify, the booklet CX sent u to study for JKI is not enough. Hence I recommend to study extra from more sources. Try also to google "ppl ground school". They also have some theory PDF to study

wilkwan
20th Aug 2014, 18:39
I will be doing this stage 1A assessment on 1st September, good luck to you all!

nondirectbacon
21st Aug 2014, 04:08
Going to have stage2 on 24 November 2014. PM me if u are on the same date.

jjdiy
21st Aug 2014, 07:08
Hi all!

Applied for CPP last sunday and got notified on monday (they work that fast?!)

I will have my 1A on 10/9 (wed). Need to "flick" my working place :E .

I'm also finding books to read about.... When I read the posts about the CX interview, I come found something related to extreme calculations.... Eg. IAS to ground speed calculation in different temperature and altitude, wow, is that true?

And do they expect us ( I have 0 flying experience except some simulator) to know how to recover from a spin?

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Le_
21st Aug 2014, 08:07
Hi guys, I am going to have my stage 1b on 2nd September, please PM me if you will have 1b soon and let's get prepared for it:ok:

Will_ninenine
21st Aug 2014, 11:29
Chris186 Thank you for the advice,
thats a huge help.

I shall take a look and get some stuff printed off.

Thank you.

mygcdjmyxzg
21st Aug 2014, 14:50
Hi jjdiy,

Focus on the JKI booklet, most of the questions come from there.
Plus some Cathay info (What aircraft does Cathay fly...)

For the compass test, practice your hand and eye, simple maths would definitely help.

chris186
21st Aug 2014, 18:29
Ah yes. JKI is a must read. Only if u are comfortable with the content there then u study more from other sources. Fleet and company info are really important too

honggil
21st Aug 2014, 18:49
As many others mentioned such as chris 186, read the JKI and a bit beyond the material that is there within the JKI booklet. Info such as the company, the fleet, and weather systems etc. which can be found in a basic flight theory book. Good luck!

sugizo20
22nd Aug 2014, 07:59
This is real true.

yuenwyf
26th Aug 2014, 07:42
For those who will undergo Stage 2 on 27 oct, pls pm me.
I have already got one in the group and let's prepare together!

Evan_Ip
26th Aug 2014, 08:36
Anyone who will have stage 2 interview on 25 Nov, please PM me

jjdiy
26th Aug 2014, 14:47
thanks a lot.

i'm grinding on the book and i think i will finish the book in 3 hours.

But I have something to struggle with........ the clouds and construction of a gimbal

do we really need to understand the structure of it....?

I also read the "Ace_the_Technical_Pilot_Interview"

wow, this one is quite a struggle... things are not really hard but some of the topics/ questions, occasionally, get really struggling

bbq6232
27th Aug 2014, 03:38
Pls pm! ;)

joelam
27th Aug 2014, 03:51
i done 1b on 19th Aug. til now hv been a week. no reply from CX by email or phone.
wondering how long hv to wait for the reply?
is it true no news is good news from CX?

jasonchan
27th Aug 2014, 14:36
people have said the booklet provided by cx is not enough for the test...
so is there any books out there i can purchase to study that are beneficial for cx test?
is BAK a good option? where can i buy one in HK, at cheaper price would be the best;) or i needa purchase online and ship it from australia?:confused::(:sad:

AlvinLiu
28th Aug 2014, 16:15
Hi guys,

I'm back lol. I will have my stage 2 on 26th Nov. Please PM me if you are with me :ok:

Alvin

AlvinLiu
28th Aug 2014, 16:17
Hi Jason,

Go for BAK. If price is a problem, check if there is any second-hand on maybe e-bay. In HK, I think you can only order it through those book stores or online.

Alvin

Captain Kong
28th Aug 2014, 16:21
Hey guys, I am having 1b on the 11th of sep. Please pm or repost here if you want to practise together

CISTRS
28th Aug 2014, 17:13
Jason, Alvin and others....

Why don't you just download from the FAA website, free of charge?

Link:

Aviation Handbooks & Manuals (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/)

What subjects are included in the BAK exam?

The Basic Aeronautical Knowledge course provides the student with an introduction to:

VHF radio operation and procedures
Aircraft components and controls
The effects of the aircraft controls
Forces involved in flight
The effects of speed, angle of attack and angle of bank
Engines
Fuel Systems
Oil Systems
Electrical Systems
Instruments
Aeroplane performance
The international standard atmosphere
Density and pressure height
Takeoff and landing performance charts
Loading systems
Air Law
Local meteorology
Local area navigation
Human performance and limitations

You will find all of these topics and more available free of charge on the US FAA website.

Hope you find this helpful. Please let me know.

likwo
29th Aug 2014, 14:22
hey everyone, this is my first post here, good to meet you pilots:E
i got nearly 30 hrs and just applied
i am gonna come back hk for a while in the next few days.
is there any study ground or someone happy to hangout for preparation?
please pm me

jjdiy
30th Aug 2014, 07:13
you are having your first stage at when?

likwo
30th Aug 2014, 07:58
Me? Just sent application.

Siliu
1st Sep 2014, 07:21
Last call for anyone having their stage 2 on the 22nd sept. Please get in touch!

kingcsalomon
1st Sep 2014, 08:50
It is coming to an end of my Cathay Pacific Cadet dream;

I will miss all the sleepless night, dreams about the interviews, dream about become a pilot, woke myself up answering how to correct a Dutch Roll.

My hand will shake in the morning by thinking of which captain I would meet at stage 2 and how harsh will the HR push me. I will miss all the books, knowledge I have read.

I will miss going to interview at Cathay City, especially 6th floor. I will miss all the study groups. I will miss all my hand writing notes... I will miss everything in this journey.

Thank you for all the old friends and new friend, especially someone whom only met me for 2 seconds on the 6th floor waiting area and gave me tons of important information,
thank you for all the support from by best friends, special friends, thank you for all the people I have met during this 6 months, it has been a great journey, without any of you I would never made it this far, and of course thanks for everyone that DON’T want to share their information, you all inspired me and motivated me. Thank You.

I wish I can join all of you at FTA, but not everything in this world is under your control, I am going to medical and ICAO tomorrow and I see no hope of passing the color test, and at 3pm tomorrow, it will be the end of my journey with a stamp “unfit for flying”.

It felt like a dream, I wish I will never wake up from it, but I guess All Good Things Come to an End. I have come so far, so close..

To all still in the dream, keep going, never stop until the last second, wish you all the best!

Last, thank you pprune, I found about 10 threads has useful information in these 300 pages, so if you want to pass your stage 2, turn off your computer.

Fly high cadets!

The_Architect
1st Sep 2014, 10:21
Does the HR and captain know of your condition?

Which color(s) are you insensitive to?

You've come this far, at least keep your head up until everything is confirmed.

Remember, always bet on yourself.

kingcsalomon
1st Sep 2014, 13:11
I will inform HR tomorrow if I could not pass medical.

I am weak on green color, cant see all the ishihara, especially the green one and red I am not too good, but ok, still see.

Yes, I will finish the journey with my head held high.

Architect enjoy FTA!

jjdiy
1st Sep 2014, 13:33
sigh... sorry to hear your story:{

anyone use sky test for middle east to prepare for the initial test?

I'm worried about the basic coordination test which i always get lower than 60%...

Do I need to correct the pointer and always make it pointing the blue line? there's no tolerance?

jasonchan
1st Sep 2014, 13:58
thanks alvin~
Do you guys think studying the BAK would be enough or i should go for some ppl texbook?:sad::bored::rolleyes:

AlvinLiu
1st Sep 2014, 14:32
Stay with your faith man!

If you need some help like introducing you a CAD approved doctor, please PM me.

Alvin

mygcdjmyxzg
1st Sep 2014, 17:49
kingcsalomon,

You are not alone....
I have my 1b few days after,
after reading your post,
I picked a few test on Google.
I am quite sure, although not proven by doctor, I have red-green blindness too...:{

I may just send a mail to HR and tell them I will withdraw from the interview..

CISTRS
2nd Sep 2014, 03:53
Do you guys think studying the BAK would be enough or i should go for some ppl texbook?

See my post #6025. A word of thanks may be in order.

jjdiy
2nd Sep 2014, 14:22
thanks for your reminding.

I have perfect colour vision but i'm short sighted....

I can't find any information about the limit of eye-sight.

I heard that people with glasses can still be a pilot.

What I can be sure is that I have 20/20 or now 1.5 eye sight with glasses on...

Do they need to test our eye with glasses off?

dolpinsky
3rd Sep 2014, 05:34
Can someone tell me what aircraft will be used for grading and cadet training?
Is it TB10 for grading and DA40, DA42 and CAP10 for cadet training?

DrakeSkyle
3rd Sep 2014, 10:06
They seem to still be using the Grobs for grading even though they were supposed to go July this year. Training is done on the TB10, DA40-42 and CAP 10.

dolpinsky
3rd Sep 2014, 10:32
Thx! :)
So TB10 are still used for module1/2 until the completion of GFPT, then proceed to DA40/42?

wcc_skywalker
3rd Sep 2014, 15:51
Hi guys, anybody doing stage 2 on Nov 27? Please msg me and stay in touch.

Cheers,
Will

DrakeSkyle
4th Sep 2014, 11:04
They don't do GFPTs anymore unfortunately, CP62 was the last class to do it. But to my knowledge the TB10 is used for mod 1,2 and 3, the DA40 for mod 4 and 5, and the 42 for mod 6. Not sure if this is exactly right though.

dolpinsky
4th Sep 2014, 12:34
Thx again Drakeskyle! ;)
God they're really cutting everything, not even GFPT now!
So let me get this straight, after the training we will have gained 200 flight hours which consists of 160 from day flying and 40 from the night? And we'll received HKCPL, HKMECIR and frozen ATPL?
Sorry for asking, just wanna make sure that I get everything right! :p

mygcdjmyxzg
4th Sep 2014, 15:02
kingcsalomon:

I am sorry to ask, but,
any good news for us after the color test?

Will they go for a "Lantern test" if Ishihara test is failed?

Don't be upset! You are not alone!
Same as you, I can't see all the Ishihara though.

GG4737
5th Sep 2014, 08:40
Hi there,

Is there anyone attending stage 1B on 18/9?

Please kindly PM for preparation in advance.

Thanks!

DrakeSkyle
5th Sep 2014, 10:24
Its more like 160 flying hours and 40 sim hours. Everything else sounds about right. :)

CaptainLimbu
5th Sep 2014, 13:00
How long does it normally take to receive the invitation email from CX for stage 2?

Cheers!

The_Architect
5th Sep 2014, 16:18
[Accurate to 2014]

Submission

Result in: 1 ~ 3 days, with extreme examples up to 4 months
1A scheduled 2 week after notification

1A

Result in: 2 ~ 3 days
1B scheduled 1 week after notification
failure can be announced as early as 30 minutes after assessment

1B

Result in: 2 ~ 3 weeks
Stage 2 scheduled 3 months from notification

Stage 2

Result in: 1 ~ 2 days
Medical scheduled the next working day after notification

Class 1 Medical

Result in: 2 ~ 4 days
Flight grading scheduled to the convenience of applicant, usually within 2 ~ 5 weeks
Inadequacies: height, diseases, vision etc. will result in immediate rejection

Flight Grading

Final result in: 1 week after returning
Australian Medical usually scheduled within 1 week of offer but with exceptions

Course Start

Variable, usually within 2 months after flight grading but with extreme cases of starting in as early as 2 weeks to six months. On average within 10 months after application submission.

CaptainLimbu
6th Sep 2014, 09:52
Thanks for the info mate, really appreciate your help!

dragunovos
6th Sep 2014, 23:28
Wow thanks for that timeline. It's generally accurate from my personal observations. 1B result only took 3 days for me.

The_Architect
7th Sep 2014, 05:42
Where are you now in the selection?

AlvinLiu
7th Sep 2014, 14:19
Repost:

I will have my stage 2 on 26th Nov. I will be so delighted if you are on the same day with me. Please don't hesitate to PM me my teammate! :ok:

Alvin

CaptainLimbu
7th Sep 2014, 16:18
Hi Alvin, good luck with your stage 2 interview. I had my stage 1b on August 7th. I am still waiting for the email from Cathay! Hope I receive it very soon so I can join you. Cheers

joelam
8th Sep 2014, 06:05
im having stage2 on 27th nov too

chan1008
9th Sep 2014, 19:03
Anyone one of you is going to have your stage 2 in the following days, please PM me. I have got few people already and they are also looking for more people to prepare together!

4/11
5/11
6/11

bbq6232
10th Sep 2014, 03:36
Any Nov 3 :hmm::hmm:

sammyduke
10th Sep 2014, 09:52
Hello!

I am from Germany and would like to apply for the Cadet Pilot Programme of Cathay Pacific. Is it possible to apply for the programme with the following eyesight values:

Sph. Cyl. Ax.
+2,25 -2,25 15 degrees

+4,25 -4,0 178 degrees

Hence, both of my astigmatism values exceed 2,0 dioptres. Would be grateful for any help!

nondirectbacon
10th Sep 2014, 13:16
Anyone got stage 2 on 24/11 again?

wongsuzie
11th Sep 2014, 14:57
Sammyduke

Do you noticed any common feature of the majority of the posters on this thread?

Hint: Lat and Lon.

kt90
11th Sep 2014, 15:23
Hey guys, I am having IA interview soon, I want to know what are the MCQ questions looks like? Are they just basic PPL MCQ theory questions? Can someone type or sent me some example questions?

few
12th Sep 2014, 15:09
hi, mygcdjmyxzg, kingcsalomon:

I found that you guys have the colour deficiency problem. Same as you guys, i cant see all the Ishihara colour plate. But luckily I passed the further test in polyU. I hope the link below can help you guys.

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east-wannabes/435369-if-you-have-color-deficiency-you-want-pilot-might-help.html

cheers :)

chan1008
13th Sep 2014, 00:00
Anyone one of you is going to have your stage 2 on the 5/11,please PM me. I have got few people already and they are also looking for more people to prepare together!:ok:

Benson Yung
13th Sep 2014, 12:15
Anyone will have stage 2 on 25 Nov 2014? Kindly pm me, we have 2 people now and it's time to prepare together.thanks

mygcdjmyxzg
13th Sep 2014, 14:39
Hi few

Thanks for your information.
I did all series of test at Poly Vision yesterday.
I have strong protan (red color) defect, no matter by Ishihara, and two types of D-15 test.

No hope to be a pilot or ATC:p.

That's what decided in my DNA and no way to change it.

So, let it be...:(

Hope you all every success in flying!

jjdiy
13th Sep 2014, 15:32
wow sammyduke that's quite serious astigmatism
I have that too (not that serious, around 2.0) .... I was also worried.

I heard that if you can be corrected to 20/20 then it's ok?

I'm having my 1B on 19/9 anyone with me?

sammyduke
13th Sep 2014, 20:05
jjdiy: Yeah I know.. do you know if there is any international airline where cadets with my eyesight values would stand a chance?

jjdiy
15th Sep 2014, 13:57
Sorry, I would like to know more about that too.... esp astigmatism

but for short-sighted, I heard from my relatives that people with -10 can still enter the programme... I'm not sure

ae86kelvin
16th Sep 2014, 07:52
Anyone heading down to FTA/AFTC for Grading/Training in between 25/9 to 10/10 please PM me.

The_Architect
16th Sep 2014, 08:44
jjdiy / sammyduke

I have astigmatism too, but I would like to know how serious is your condition. The ophthalmologist gave me the following set of numbers:

R:Plano-0.50DCx035
L:-0.25DS-0.25DCx175 (I have no idea what they mean)

I can go about life without spectacles, but the nurse at CX city said I will need a pair if I ever walk into the flight deck.

Your concern will only be whether or not it is correctable with lenses, and how big of a hazard it will be if you drop them at minimums.

CaptainLimbu
16th Sep 2014, 18:11
According to CX standard the minimum height requirement is 160cm. Is there any chance for applicants who do not meet the requirement? I have a friend who fails to meet it by a few cm. Honest feedback is very much appreciated.

Ps: I have considered the option of Class 1 medical but since it's not a viable option at the moment, I'm looking for other suggestions.

Cheers!

jjdiy
16th Sep 2014, 23:52
it means that you need to touch the top of the flight control panel, am I right?

jjdiy
16th Sep 2014, 23:53
i was also told about "correctable".

while i'm correctable to 20/20, i'm still concerned...

my astigmatism is 10 times of yours........... @_@

j-dub
17th Sep 2014, 00:49
Gonuts,

You say management are looking at re-opening the advanced training course by the end of the year?
Any word on the Transition Training Programme?
I assume if they need pilots they'll be looking at applicants without a permanent HKID Card in the future?

Any info would great,

J-Dub

DrakeSkyle
17th Sep 2014, 01:51
Hi Gonuts, are there supposed to be any TT cadets starting in October? Also, when do you think the AE cadets will arrive?

CaptainLimbu
17th Sep 2014, 11:40
Thanks for the reply mate. I'll let my friend know about that.

Btw, are you waiting for the AE? Good Luck on that! I have my stage 2 in late November and if things go as planned I hope to fly with you someday! Cheers!

:)

yuenwyf
19th Sep 2014, 08:07
We have got 5 now and waiting the last one to show up. Pm me if you are the last one:)

wenc
21st Sep 2014, 05:45
Hi there!

Im trying to apply for the Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Program, but it seems like this program me is only for applicants with permanent HKID. Does this mean they don't recruit foreigners anymore?

Ive sent and email to Cathay, they replied : Global recruitment is now suspended until further notice.

Does anyone here know when Cathay will start global recruitment again?

Thanks!

kingcsalomon
22nd Sep 2014, 07:01
Hi few,

I am not sure about the "Edridge-Green Lantern" it mention on the other thread, but I dont recall they have Blue color, I am not sure if I cannot see it or they were using a different machine (I am red-green deficiency).

I also fail the lantern test at PolyU.

I have received a email saying I failed the final selection, and ask me to reapply in 12 months..?? without saying any reason, the email more like a stage 2 failed email instead of a medical / ICAO stage failed email...I am so confused now.

dolpinsky
22nd Sep 2014, 07:13
Anyone gonna have the initial A on the 20 oct?

kingcsalomon
22nd Sep 2014, 07:44
Anyone got rejected at medical/ICAO stage and ask you to reapply in 12 months without telling you any reason?

bbq6232
23rd Sep 2014, 03:38
We have four now, waiting for missing groupmates

Pls pm me :E:E

kycfi85
23rd Sep 2014, 04:28
Curious,

Why would anyone do AE or TT? Once upon a time, I considered it, but I just couldn't justify it. An ATP certificated/licensed pilot would seriously consider being a second officer?

Mr.R
23rd Sep 2014, 06:03
including me, we got 2 now.

Msg me if you have the same date. nice day!

The_Architect
24th Sep 2014, 12:55
Are you here to bash or look for someone to persuade you back?

winnerhy
26th Sep 2014, 06:36
really curious about the medical exam, do we have to use our own lenses for the vision test? or would they provide the lenses (just like when you get your prescriptions for glasses)?

What if our glasses is a few years old and it's not correcting our eyesight to the best vision? Will they provide a lens which would best correct your vision during the exam?

Apart from reading the letters/number charts, what else would they test on your eyes?

Many thanks!:)

CISTRS
26th Sep 2014, 08:11
winnerhy:
do we have to use our own lenses for the vision test?

Can you be serious?

winnerhy
26th Sep 2014, 09:27
I am thinking maybe they have their own lenses (the big thick device to determine the seriousness of your short-sightedness), like the one an optometrist uses when he is getting the prescription for you..

Sorry if I asked a stupid question.

dragunovos
27th Sep 2014, 02:44
Always a good idea to bring your own lenses since the requirement is that your vision must be correctable to 20/20.

From my experience with a Canadian Class 1 Medical, they do the basic Snellen eye chart for visual acuity, Ishihara dot test for colorblindness, Some motion eye tracking tests, and pupil dilation with light.

Hope this helps.

CISTRS
27th Sep 2014, 03:44
winnerhy

That's good advice.

Best of luck to all.

Bye Bye Baby
28th Sep 2014, 00:14
winnerhy

What if our glasses is a few years old and it's not correcting our eyesight to the best vision? Will they provide a lens which would best correct your vision during the exam?

Here in lies the problem with you current bunch of applicants. "I can't see properly and can't be bothered ensuring I can", but I expect my potential employer to do the work for me and baby me through the test. If you want to be considered for the job I would strongly suggest you do the work required to show them that, they don't need YOU for the job, you are asking them for one.

On second thought, I suggest you go to the medical and ask them for better glasses so you can pass the test, as I don't want you in my cockpit.

winnerhy
28th Sep 2014, 05:00
Sorry if what I said made you misunderstand anything, but I am just concerned even if I have a pair of new glasses, there is a chance that it is not good enough to pass the test, so I just want to know if I should worry about the quality of the glasses that I am wearing. Given that I have a history of getting poor glasses quality...

If I knew they have their own correctable lenses for you to use for the test, then I wouldn't be much worried about the vision problem and would focus more on my interview preparation. But anyway, if I can make it through, I would make sure I got a new pair of glasses for the medical regardless of the answers that I get here. I asked just because I wanted to know more about the exam details..

But thanks for your words, I will think twice before firing any questions here in the future.

The_Architect
28th Sep 2014, 09:00
While the question you raised might be silly to some, its not a sin to double check and make sure. (Incase someone calls me out for double standard; I still do not condone people asking things like how to apply and should search this thread before raising a question)

If you are sincere to the cadet program, you are always advised to present yourself in the most approriate way possible, that includes showing up to medical with properly prescribed spectacles.

I'd like to point out that the hostile nature of this site does prevent some questions from being asked. This is probably not the best example, but while asking a question will risk being ridiculed for being dumb, it would be even dumber of you NOT to ask when you genuinely do not know.

That being said, the guy above you has no quality of leadership in any cockpit for his unnessecary input. Please go fornicate a sidestick

Sincerly, one of 'those applicants'

CISTRS
28th Sep 2014, 14:38
I'd like to point out that the hostile nature of this site does prevent some questions from being asked. This is probably not the best example, but while asking a question will risk being ridiculed for being dumb, it would be even dumber of you NOT to ask when you genuinely do not know.This site is not hostile. This thread tries both to encourage "Wannabees" to question each other, and compare experiences, and to instil a sense of reality into Cadet candidates with unreasonable expectations.

I am not from CX, not a moderator, not a professional aviator, but I am an elderly HK resident with a few hours in flying, and an interest in assisting those who want to listen.

Bad eyesight is endemic in HK people - just look at the proportion of spec wearers - if your eyes don't work for professional aviation you must choose another job.

Please do not get over sensitive.

m321123
30th Sep 2014, 02:32
Please pm me if yours is also on 2/12:)

winnerhy
1st Oct 2014, 08:13
anyone who had initial b before Sept 18 and still haven't received email from CX regarding the result?

jjdiy
1st Oct 2014, 13:43
I had my 1b on 19/9.

Haven't received any notification yet.:sad:

Mr.R
4th Oct 2014, 12:53
Hello mates,
so far i hv found 2 groupmates for the same date!
if you are going for that on the same day, please contact me!

cspec
6th Oct 2014, 13:32
selling a rudder/joystick set if anyone is interested, please pm me. can use to practice!

bcheng
7th Oct 2014, 07:36
Anyone out there having their stage 2 on November 26th? PM me if you are!

kycfi85
8th Oct 2014, 01:38
Architect,

Not looking to be persuaded. I enjoy flying airplanes.

I seriously am wondering why an ATP qualified pilot would chose to be a second officer at CX...

jjdiy
8th Oct 2014, 04:01
Hi everyone. I have finished my 1b on 19/9 and I received an E-mail yesterday saying that I need to do some follow up work for my medical record.......

Since I was too honest and I wrote down hospital admission "Flu". (around 2 years ago to the best of my memory)

I meant... everyone should have been to the hospital once or twice right...?
So I just filled in the form that way. And there wasn't any indication about the time you were in the hospital...

So now I'm stuck. I have e-mailed Dr. Ho for what I really don't know how to follow up :ouch: ultra fail.

GG4737
9th Oct 2014, 04:36
Hello,

Is there anyone who are taking stage 2 on 10 Dec, please kindly PM me,
we can practice together.

thanks a lot!

wilfredmayk
9th Oct 2014, 13:58
Hello!

Does anyone have the stage 2 on 9 Dec? Please feel free to contact me so that we can prepare for it together.

Thanks so much!!

gusssy
9th Oct 2014, 15:15
hi all,
anyone will have stage 2 on the 4th Dec?
pls PM me and we shall arrange some practises together!!

good luck all of us! :ok:

dolpinsky
11th Oct 2014, 12:20
Gonna have my 1a and 1b real soon, got any last minute advice for me? :E

jjdiy
12th Oct 2014, 23:59
read jki very carefully.... those numbers...

model of planes used by CX

try skytest

and then you are good to go

Zarata
15th Oct 2014, 05:16
Anyone will have grading from 8/11-16/11? Let's catch up b4 grading.

echolima910
15th Oct 2014, 16:30
And anyone who will be going to grading from 1st Nov - 9th Nov, PM me ;) We have a group of 4 already

GG4737
16th Oct 2014, 11:30
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone who are taking stage 2 on 10 Dec, please PM me,
we have got three in a group now, and we can do some preparations on group exercise together!

Cheers =]

Hongkongkid
16th Oct 2014, 13:51
Hey Guys,

I'm about to graduate from Secondary school early next year, is it advisable to go to University first or go head straight in to the cadet?

dragunovos
16th Oct 2014, 20:40
Hongkongkid,

Why not apply for both. I would assume Cathay wants the most passionate and competent cadets for their program. You seem to be on the fence between one or the other so just make sure you demonstrate maturity and dedication if/when you do get an HR interview.

Also, would recommend you try to enroll in an engineering/physics/computer science related field of study as those teach you critical thinking skills quite applicable to being a modern day pilot.

Good luck.

jjdiy
16th Oct 2014, 23:50
It saids SS is a minimum.

The competition is fierce, there are people with working experience and university degree(s) and postgraduate degrees...

Things people learnt in uni might not be related to aviation but the interpersonal and intellectual skills are too valuable for you to skip.

Better enjoy uni life first if you can

dolpinsky
17th Oct 2014, 06:06
jjdiy thx! :)
I'm just a bit worried about the compass test :sad:

Bo To
17th Oct 2014, 15:34
Hello everyone,

I wait for 3 weeks after my stage 1b. I expected that I was passed because "no news is good news" but I was rejected finally. Is it possible that I failed my medical questionnaire since I filled I was a smoker but already quitted? Or...it's just the normal procedure of cx to reply within 3 weeks, no matter what result you get?

Thanks.

ProPwannabe
17th Oct 2014, 23:31
Final call- anyone for stage 2 on 3-5th nov. Pm me.

chchan
18th Oct 2014, 14:45
Anybody is having stage 2 on 28-Oct (Tue)? Feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance

Lucas

Chupichu
19th Oct 2014, 05:17
Hi guys,
I hope this post find u all well ! Im a new member( just joined today)! I find out this is amazing topic and forum for such new pple like me to get more info of Cadet programme. Thank you guys for sharing ur own ideas n info collected ! I just have some small questions, please kindly help me!
1. I have no experience or any aviation related qualifications, Im not from HK( So of course without permanent HKID). Can I apply for Cathay Pacific Cadet programme?
2. Is it a totally free course ? ( and oviously we need to work for certain years later) and How long does it take to be completed?
3. Last but not least, Do you have any idea whether they recruite females or not?
Thanks very much and I do appreciate your time reading this post!

Romeo2
19th Oct 2014, 15:49
Any one will have stage 2 interview on Dec 10?

jjdiy
20th Oct 2014, 00:06
1. sorry..... should be no
2. yes, work for at least 6 years.
3. sure they do

dolpinsky
22nd Oct 2014, 03:44
just had my 1b today, the interview last 30mins only, and they didn't ask me anything questions regarding the company background or to go deeper into how i get started with aviation/why you but not others etc.

I wonder if it has anything to do with my personality and reasoning test. Let's say u completed these 2 tests first and then have the interview. However you couldn't past those 2 tests, will they decide that asking you more questions is just gonna be a waste of time and try to end the interview asap?

Benson Yung
22nd Oct 2014, 07:34
Anyone who will have stage 2 on 25 Nov, pls pm me thanks

mast000
22nd Oct 2014, 08:11
then what did they ask you?

GG4737
22nd Oct 2014, 08:39
Hi!

Anyone who are taking stage 2 on 10 Dec?
We have got 4 in a group now, please PM me, and we can do some preparations in advance.

Thanks!

j-dub
23rd Oct 2014, 04:35
Hey guys,
Any word on upcoming interviews for the TT course for international applicants not possessing a HKID? I've heard rumours some people have been contacted with regards to upcoming interviews, or if this is false information it's got to be ramping up soon? Any truth to this rumour?

Anthony_27
23rd Oct 2014, 04:46
is cathay pacific still hiring , I went to their website and couldn't find the username/password bars to get through my application..

:<

:<

i failed the 1b exactly the same month last year, so I'm trying to reapply

dolpinsky
23rd Oct 2014, 05:18
just some normal stuff. eg. why should we hire you/what aspect do u want to improve

btw, is it true that you can only apply for it twice? after ur second attempt and u're permanent blacklisted and even though u can login and update the application, they won't bother to give u another chance?

dolpinsky
23rd Oct 2014, 05:19
anthony is this ur second attempt?

mast000
23rd Oct 2014, 07:34
thats so not true for only 2nd attempt...
i know many ppl success on their 3rd or even 4th attempts

mast000
23rd Oct 2014, 07:35
did they ever ask you one or two basic technical questions or anything related to CX itself, or just basically asking you all your personal related questions?

cuz for ppl i know whom can proceed to stage 2, they must be questioned for at least 5-10 questions related to CX operational flight, fleet info or some basic tech question like what is jet stream/ great circle......

dolpinsky
23rd Oct 2014, 08:27
I remember they asked the following questions :
tell us about urself
tell us about the degree u've been doing
what do you like to do in ur spare time
given a choice, which aircraft do u want to fly upon graduation
why should we hire you
why do you want to fly
why did you fail last time
what preparation have u made since u failed last time
what if we don't select u this time
what aircraft are we fading out
who's our director of flight operation
who's our ceo/coo
how long is the flight from hk to new york
why fly the polar route
what are the destinations we have in north america
what do second officers do
how do they develop skill and exp with no actual flying opportunities
what difficulties do you think u will face when u are a second officer
what are some of the bad things that you've heard about cx
what aircraft do we have
why do we buy a350
how can a350 save us operation cost
do you have any questions?
have you applied for dragonair?

Odd that they didn't ask me anything about the history of CX. And I thought the interview would be held by one hr lady and one pilot, just like the way it used to be. I did spend tons of time reading books regarding technical knowledge but sadly no one was there to ask me anything.

dolpinsky
23rd Oct 2014, 08:31
One tip for those who are oversea applicants. You should arrive in HK at least a couple days before the selection. I arrived the night before the interview and barely had any sleep, during the interview it took me a lot longer to respond to questions.

dolpinsky
23rd Oct 2014, 08:32
mast000, thx for the answer bro, in that case i wish they would give me another chance

dolpinsky
23rd Oct 2014, 08:36
one more question, if we failed, do you guys think it is a good idea to send an email to them and ask for opinions or feedback of the interview?

mast000
23rd Oct 2014, 09:36
looks like ur questions is some how similar as those they asked me pretty much the same, and they asked me couple questions of basic aviation and training in fta as well.

for your question about sending them an email,
they wouldnt really tell you why.
cuz someone tried and this was the reply he got at the time:

Thank you for your interest in the Cadet Pilot Programme.

It is understandable that you asked for feedback to further improve yourself. However, we are unable to give a review of reasons to unsuccessful applicants. We trust that you can have an accurate assessment of yourself as to what you can improve in the future. Thank you for your attention.

jjdiy
24th Oct 2014, 00:01
Wow dolpinsky, they asked you quite a lot of tough question

I was asked about myself and few CX related questions...

People said that I have passed 1B since I'm being asked for medical records ,after 3 weeks of the interview, related to my "FLU"... *facepalm*

dolpinsky
24th Oct 2014, 01:29
Well that's understandable. I think we should be able to find out what kind of mistake have we made and why did we screw up by ourselves. It's just it would be better if they could give us some light instead of letting us wander in the darkness...haha

mast000
24th Oct 2014, 01:29
those questions are so-so for stage 1b, people applying for the Cadet program should expect them as the basic questions....;)

dolpinsky
24th Oct 2014, 01:33
I really wasn't prepared to answer some of the questions like the a350 and difficulties when you are a SO. I wished they had asked me questions like why CX, the 68 year-long story of CX, what engines and their output, why 777 is my favourite etc. In that case I'm definitely gonna nail it :cool:

dolpinsky
24th Oct 2014, 01:38
Some other questions just came to my mind.
What's the difference between long-haul and ultra long-haul flight.
How do we distinguish them according to the flight time
What are some of the ultra-long haul destinations.

mast000
24th Oct 2014, 01:42
cx has standards for all ur questions...so do some research and you will find them out.:8

mast000
24th Oct 2014, 01:43
cuz they need someone who can do critical thinking instead of just memorizing?

dolpinsky
24th Oct 2014, 03:09
I believe the whole point of the CPP is to find someone who has the potential to be a future captain, not just a machine who can parrot every single words from books. Anyway how's ur progress bro!? :)

mast000
24th Oct 2014, 03:16
waiting for the next stage...........

dolpinsky
24th Oct 2014, 03:20
good luck! :O

Anthony_27
24th Oct 2014, 09:26
yes, this will be my second attempt.

what about you ?

rhino88
24th Oct 2014, 09:37
Anyone had stage 1A recently and passed? Any advice to bestow on those about to undergo it?

Many many thanks !

dolpinsky
24th Oct 2014, 11:35
It is also my second attempt, don't know what's gonna happen..

Romeo2
24th Oct 2014, 15:36
http://abovethelaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/UncleSam1.jpg
To all candidates who have their Stage 2 Interview from Dec 9 to Dec11. Please PM me or leave your msg here, thanks...:ok:

theavi8or
25th Oct 2014, 03:18
J-dub,

I know a guy that interviewed for TT about three weeks ago and is being loaded on a course starting in November, so it is back up and running. Also AE courses started this month. Seems the backlog is being cleared first and then getting to new applicants.

Good luck!

tsewaih
26th Oct 2014, 14:43
Hi,
i have stage 2 interview on dec 11,can i join your group and prepare together?

Thanks,
Eva

j-dub
26th Oct 2014, 23:27
Hey thanks heaps for the info update. Much appreciated.

Nav99
28th Oct 2014, 05:00
Does anyone have a 2nd stage interview on Nov11?

theavi8or
28th Oct 2014, 07:45
Anyone here have Stage 1A Nov 18?

captain.weird
28th Oct 2014, 13:55
AE courses only for HKID holders or also internationals?

123pilot456
29th Oct 2014, 18:39
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if I will pass CX's Class 1 Medical. Because I'm 5'4.5 tall (165cm) but weigh only 91lbs. So is underweight a concern?

Thanks!

ProPwannabe
29th Oct 2014, 23:16
Newbies posting a NEW thread, flooding the forum, advertising their interview dates make me cringe. :ugh:

crwkunt roll
30th Oct 2014, 06:03
What's the difference between long-haul and ultra long-haul flight. 1 minute

What's the recovery procedure for a TCAS RA?

Why shouldn't you touch the rudder when in cruise flight?

c.cube
31st Oct 2014, 04:47
anybody got accepted to stage 2 but didn't get the actual date yet?
i was invited to stage 2 (they called it "final interview assessments"), but they said they will email me when they have a confirmed date "in due course"

thanks

CPA777
31st Oct 2014, 06:15
How the heck are they suppose to know that!

GG4737
3rd Nov 2014, 01:48
Hi!

Anyone who are taking stage 2 on 10 Dec?
We have got 4 in a group now, please PM me, and we can do some preparations and practice together in advance.

Thanks!

kitcanfly
5th Nov 2014, 06:15
Hi,

i just failed stage 2

anyone knows do I need to start from stage 1a next year ?

many thanks

rhino88
6th Nov 2014, 00:21
Yes I believe you do have to start from 1A again. Can I ask what questions they asked you?

Just finished 1A - average waiting time?

Nav99
6th Nov 2014, 22:21
Hey Kitlfly could you please share what did they ask in the interview and how was the whole procedure I have it in a few days. I would really appreciate that.

chessietheshiba
7th Nov 2014, 14:34
Hi there, pls pm if you are going to hv your flight grading on 15-23Nov:)

takamasa
13th Nov 2014, 00:45
trimwheel,

are you going for TT course?

SloppyJoe
13th Nov 2014, 07:27
Qantas Flight Simulator Experience Sydney (http://www.qantasshop.com.au/product-555-Qantas_Flight_Simulator_Experience)

they may be able to tailor a package to include the CX interview profile, then it wont be the first time you will have seen it.

To be honest don't worry about it being a 747 sim, all you really use is the yolk, rudders, thrust levers, flaps, gear and trim. It is just a plane like any other. Even an hour in a sim will help giving you an idea of inertia, biggest hurdle.