PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

holdmetight
16th Feb 2010, 10:26
Re-application does not necessarily mean disadvantage, just a longer wait for an interview. HR needs to compare your new application with your previous one and determine whether you have "improved" significantly enough to warrant another selection. Given there are now thousands of applications from new international candidates, it is hardly surprising they might need more time to get back to us. To illustrate this point, I have a friend (another re-applicant) who waited 6 months until CX finally gave him an interview. Another friend of mine who had never applied before waited several weeks before getting an interview. Both friends did all their selections in HKG.

I last applied back in late 2007.

dagger19
16th Feb 2010, 13:32
its really hard to determine how much you have improved from the application site there online. furthermore, we do have our life to live on. the most you can do might just be reading more abt aviation and trying some flight simulator.

holdmetight: you really took a long time to prepare for ur 2nd attempt. are you working related to aviation all these time?

holdmetight
16th Feb 2010, 14:06
Hey dagger19,

Improvements can come from a lot of sources, depending on what your weaknesses were. For example, if your weakness was lack of aviation knowledge, then reading more about aviation and joining some aviation-oriented activities such as the AAEP would be ideal. If your weakness was English, then joining some English courses would be good. If you failed the eye-hand coordination exercises then taking driving lessons could be the solution. The most important thing is to identify why you failed, and work hard at improving yourself. If you really have worked hard, HR will notice your efforts when you re-apply; just be sure to indicate your efforts in your application form/CV.

I'm glad I applied after 2 years instead of the published cool-off period of 12 months; I wouldn't have had enough time to improve had I applied that soon!

auto--pilot
17th Feb 2010, 09:51
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I just got an email tonight for the initial interview in Vancouver which is occurring in April. I applied way back in August, so the email was a little unexpected to say the least. Anyways if anyone else Van got this as well, PM me and we can chat

Good luck to everyone, time to hit the books!

cadetpilotwannabe
17th Feb 2010, 13:56
Not yet... I am still waiting.... Hope I will get the invitation for ICAO test soon .... finger cross~

first officer
17th Feb 2010, 15:09
can any one please tell me when will cathy pacific start their cadetpilot programme.i am so much confused...i can understand the procedure..can any one help me cuz in website they said that they announced in sep2009....:ugh:

Canadawings
17th Feb 2010, 17:36
Hi everybody ! I'm new on this forum.

First off good luck to everyone. I hope as many of us as possible we'll get on this Cathay flight to Adelaide.....
And thanks again to Swine Facipic for the booklet. It's really helpful to get ready and to know in advance what to expect from the examiners.

Autopilot I'm also from Vancouver. I haven't gotten any email from Cathay yet but on the other hand I applied only 10 days ago so I guess I shouldn't expect to hear from them until late this year. Anyway did you get a phone call from them as well ? Or just the email ? And was the email directly from Cathay or was it from one of the HR staff ? Just asking to make sure I won't delete it by mistake :eek:.
Good luck to you man. Don't let the Olympics draw your attention away from booklet ;).

SloppyJoe
17th Feb 2010, 18:14
It has started. Just takes them a long time to reply to people, if you read this thread you would not be confused. If you are still confused after reading it probably think about another career.

auto--pilot
18th Feb 2010, 00:30
Canadawings, just a email from the same email you recieved after submitting you app...yes and the olympics are keeping me busy here, but i will be making the time for sure to hit the books. best of luck

Michael Egerton
18th Feb 2010, 05:36
Good information from holdmetight, and I can confirm that the ICAO English test used for cadets doesn't require aviation knowledge or radiotelephony. These skills would be tested in other ICAO English tests, but are not relevant to cadet entry pilots.

However you would probably find an aviation specific English course more interesting (and certainly a lot better for your motivation) than a general English course. The CX ICAO test uses the ICAO descriptors - pronunciation, structure, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency and interaction which aren't tested individually in other English tests. You will need to score a minimum of level 4 in each of these skills. If you score level 4 for each skill apart from pronunciation eg level 3, you would get a level 3 score.

Officially airlines need level 4 scores to be ICAO compliant, but I had a long chat with a nice lady in Cathay HR and she said they want cadets to have level 5. I've known retest candidates to be accepted with level 4 scores though.

Either way, aim for level 5 because you will need strong communication skills throughout the selection process and you don't want to have "borderline" level 4 scores which could slip to level 3 if you don't practice. Level 4 is the bare minimum anyway and many people (myself included) would say that it should be raised to level 5. It would be very difficult for some countries to meet the March 2011 deadline for ICAO compliance - so officially it's level 4.

I would add is that you should start improving your English early - even before you make an application. Some students have come to us a week before their ICAO test and expected a "magic pill" that will enable them to jump to level 5 overnight. If you are already at level 4, then achieving level 5 won't take too long, but the difference between ICAO level 3 and ICAO level 4 is massive. Depending on where you are on the ICAO scale, going from level 3 to 4 could take up to 200 hours.

If you are not sure of your current level, we offer a placement test that will give you a lot of insight into which areas you should improve. I recommend this to every non-native speaker applying to the cadet programme, as it can save you time and money.

This article on our blog should be helpful in developing learning strategies. You will find that the "educational environment" in Hong Kong is very much focused on passing tests - rather than developing actual functional competence in English. The way that you prepare yourself to learn is very important.
English learning strategies for pilots and air traffic controllers English for pilots, ATCs, cabin crew and airport staff in Asia (http://aviationenglishasia.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/english-learning-strategies-for-pilots-and-air-traffic-controllers/)

Feel free to post a comment or question on the blog too.

cadetpilotwannabe
18th Feb 2010, 09:55
Hey guys, I just a rejection email =(. Hope you guys all the best~

holdmetight
18th Feb 2010, 10:24
cadetpilotwannabe,

I'm very sorry to hear of your rejection. Don't take it to heart, perhaps you are not yet ready to take on the challenges down in Adelaide? I'm sure the rejection does not mean you cannot be a good pilot in the future. I would suggest you make a list of their questions (and your answers) from the interview, and think about what went wrong. Work hard at improving, and you will come back much stronger. Been there, done that!

Good luck! :)

cadetpilotwannabe
19th Feb 2010, 11:40
Thank you very much holdmetight... I will try my best to prepare for my next attempt. Do you have suggestion of how to doing it? Would you mind sharing your experience to us as well. I do not have any engineering background. My major is Econ... I have no idea what I can do...

holdmetight
19th Feb 2010, 12:38
cadetpilotwannabe,

Please refer to post #271. Personally, I think that each individual profile and background has its own merits; just because you don't have an engineering background does not mean you are any less suitable. As you may already know, cadet pilots come from a large variety of backgrounds, so keep confidence in yourself. I would also advise you not to rush into re-applying; make sure you have well and truly improved yourself before handing in your second application. Do not use the 12 month cooling-off period as a yardstick.

Good luck!

flapsupdown
19th Feb 2010, 13:07
Just wanted to submit a post to add my 2 cents worth and to support what Holdmetight has been saying in this forum...

I think being self-critical and always striving to improve/become better are two very important characteristics that CX looks for in their pilots...think about it, as a cadet, you are constantly being critiqued and the only way to succeed as a Cathay cadet is to be able to accept this criticism and work hard towards improving....it doesn't matter how much flying experience you have - whether you have zero hours or an ATPL - the fact of the matter is, there is no such thing as perfection in aviation. Even IF IF IF your flying technique and skills are perfect (which I doubt any one can claim), a big part of flying has to do with AIRMANSHIP, SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, COMMUNICATION, MAKING DECISIONS...etc etc. I have a ton of respect for captains (not just CX captains) and great pilots, but at the end of the day, nobody is perfect. I think Cathay wants people who can acknowledge and work on their limitations, shortcomings and weaknesses to become better pilots. They want people who will continue to learn throughout their career and to take something away from every flight they operate.

If you think you are perfect, or the day you become complacent, you become a threat to the crew and the passengers. And unless one can acknowledge that they don't know everything, they are not in the correct mindset/attitude to learn.

Having said this, if you failed in the past, use this as an opportunity to show that you will not let this single failure stand in the way of your dreams. Use the opportunity to show that you ARE the type of person who will continue to seek out learning experiences and to improve yourself. Use this opportunity to show that you are the type of person who can recognize your weaknesses and that you are proactive in making yourself a stronger candidate.

For those who are re-applying (or thinking of re-applying), keep your head up and have a think about this.

All the best!

holdmetight
19th Feb 2010, 14:17
flapsupdown,

Very well said, and point taken! :ok:

myhitomi
20th Feb 2010, 00:43
holdmetight:

I've also applied CPP again a few months before and still waiting to hear from them

A friend of mine who failed his 1st attempt and had to wait about half an year for the initial test..and he's now about to head towards ALD for flight grading next week.

So, I think most re-applicants have to wait longer

jubilee2000
20th Feb 2010, 03:43
Does the waiting period has anything to do with your current job?
A friend of mine who's working for CX re-applied CPP and got called for initial test in just one month time.:bored:

Michael Egerton
20th Feb 2010, 04:15
Great posts from flapsupdown and holdmetight.

I've found that successful candidates come from a wide range of backgrounds, professions and age groups. To think that a particular type of candidate will be successful is just a limiting belief. From the candidates that I have known to be successful, it clear to see that they are very committed, and have been well prepared for every stage of the test. They often get caught out on technical questions, but it seems to be equally important that a candidate can accept correction and advice. Airlines want cadets that are easy to train and can learn from mistakes, so become someone that is easy to train.

I'd also add unless you are a native speaker you should start improving your English early. This is essential throughout every stage of the selection process (and your career), not just the ICAO test. Don't think, "hey, I got to stage 1b - now I should start improving my English" because that's going to put your teacher in a more difficult position. It's still possible to improve but it's not going to be as effective as a long term plan. Better English will also help you in every other aspect of your life.

If an assessor asks you to explain eg how a jet engine works, or the difference between various control systems they are assessing your ability to communicate in English, as much as your technical knowledge. I'd say that candidates from a non-technical background may even have an advantage over CPL holders there, in that the assessor's expectations will be lower.

There is also the case where an aviation career might not be right for you, and I can understand that this might be a painful decision, especially if your heart is in it. It's important to consider whether you (a) have the basic aptitude, and (b) have the interest and passion. If you don't have these things then it's ok to move on. Plenty of other people have made the same decision. Rather than work on the skills that you lack, it might be better to leverage the skills that you already excel at. There's a great book called Strengthsfinder 2 that can help you find these. Highly recommended.

If you do have the interest then do try again. One of the great things about aviation is that it's something that you can pursue privately and it's becoming more accessible, so a rejection from an airline is no big deal. Cadet entry is not the only way to an airline career, and you might find that you can get your aviation "fix" through private flying.

holdmetight
20th Feb 2010, 05:00
myhitomi,
Thanks for your advice. I e-mailed them around a week ago, and was told to expect a longer wait as they had to "review my file". I also have a friend who re-applied and had to wait 6 months before doing his Initial Test, so I guess you and I will be waiting/preparing for some time to come. Good luck to you, keep us updated!

jubilee2000,
I think your waiting period is massively reduced if you already work for CX. It is only logical that an insider's application would warrant an expedited assessment, when compared with an outsider's application!

Michael Egerton,
I agree that proactive thinking and preparation is the key to success.

Everyone else,
Since the gist of the thread has moved towards re-applying, I'd like to suggest that locals from HKG can indeed gain flying experience for a relatively low cost. As you may or may not know, some flying schools in the Philippines offer some very competitive prices for aircraft rental and instructor hiring. One such example would be Omni Aviation, check out their URL:
Omni Aviation (http://omniaviation.com/content.php?content_id=80)
I have never been there before, so take my advice with the usual pinch of salt, and do some research for yourself. I heard that the Philipino PPL is FAA-compliant, and the actual cost of airfares, accomodation and flying is actually much cheaper than if you were to go to Australia or the USA. Do the math, research and see if this is the thing for you.

dagger19
20th Feb 2010, 05:34
hello all,

If you are successfully selected for an interview in a reapplying attempt, do you continue from where you failed in your previous attempt, or do you go from stage 1?

flapsupdown
20th Feb 2010, 13:40
Not sure about stage 1, but I know that you can go straight into stage 2 or management if that is where your last attempt ended....

holdmetight
20th Feb 2010, 14:22
do you continue from where you failed in your previous attempt, or do you go from stage 1?

Not sure about stage 1, but I know that you can go straight into stage 2 or management if that is where your last attempt ended....

Don't quote me on this, but from what I have seen, it looks like it varies on a case-by-case basis.

Back in 2007, I was told by the HRs that the validity of the Initial Test is 12 months. Based on that logic, anyone who re-applied immediately after a year's time was allowed to skip the Initial Test and proceed directly to the stage he/she failed previously, while those who re-applied later were required to redo the entire assessment from scratch.

I wonder if this still stands?

AsL402
26th Feb 2010, 18:27
Hello All. This is my first time posting on this forum. Lots of good info.

I applied in June of 09 and never received any emails, so I sent an email to [email protected] 2 weeks ago to see if they have any update on my application. I then got a reply few days ago asking me to send in my High School and University certificates/transcripts via email.

I am now waiting to have my schools get my transcript ready for me to send it over.

From another user's post, it looks like they will be holding interviews in Vancouver. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to do an interview there since its not too far from LA. Anyone from LA applying also?

depart5
28th Feb 2010, 07:13
Hey everyone ... just got registered on here ...a lot of good information and help. Will be having my stage 1 in a couple of weeks in Joberg, is there anyone else ?

ajac 282
28th Feb 2010, 18:17
Hello chaps looking for some info in the cx interview in Hong kong 2nd stage. having a night mare finding anything. Any help much appreciated!!! like wise anyone needing some pointed revision let me know cheers

CaptainCourageous au
1st Mar 2010, 00:22
wowpeter.com Blog Archive Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Program! [Updated with International Applicant Timeline / Info] (http://www.wowpeter.com/?p=75)
This site is mostly up to date with a few exceptions. I found it quite helpful so i had an idea of what id be doing before i got there

This is what i did prepping for my Stage 2 in hong kong hope it helps. This all came up to some degree in the interviews/tests

-Do a bit of revision on your theory up to where you are qualified to thus far in your aviation knowledge.
-Study the routes CX fly
-Learn the A/C they fly and be able to identify and distinguish between the --types
-Which A/C fly on which routes
-Info about the course in Adelaide i.e. Length of the course etc
-Which training A/C are used in Adelaide
-Practice some "speed math” addition and subtraction (theres a couple of sites about to use for practice)
-Role which will be served if accepted into cathay
and much more

nicky7789
1st Mar 2010, 02:50
i was born overseas and i'm now currently in australia studying.. i have a very strong interest in aviation and would like to work for CX.. first of all, 2 questions

1.is the CX cadet pilot program open to everyone?

2. theres a uni in australia that teaches aviation, i was planning to go there and have my training done.. once i graduate, i will have the following Commercial Pilot Licence together with a Command Instrument Rating on twin-engined aircraft and a Flight Instructor Rating and completed the theoretical component of an Air Transport Pilot Licence. will i still get to be a CX second officer? or do i have to join the cadet pilot program to be one?

NickFry
1st Mar 2010, 05:07
nicky7789:

In regards to question 1: Yes, you can read this on the Cathay website.
In regards to question 2: You can apply to the program regardless of hours/ratings obtained. And just as a side note, there is actually two universities offering flight training under a government funded FEE Help scheme, Swinburne and Griffith.

nicky7789
1st Mar 2010, 06:38
so wat u mean is once i graduate .. i need to apply for the CX cadet pilot program ??

auto--pilot
2nd Mar 2010, 07:00
Hey Guys!

Anyone got some great resources for the reasoning test which is similar to the tests Cathay uses. At this time I am using my sisters SAT prep books.

nicky7789 -
You can apply for the CX Cadet program at anytime. People with all the ratings you mentioned plus some time can get into the program, however it would be more of a benifit if they accepted you with no time, this way you could save the costs. A post secondary education is a must though. If you are suggesting that you do you buy your own flying education this is not a guaranteed job at Cathay, you still need to apply and get through the initial checks.

holdmetight
2nd Mar 2010, 07:38
Anyone got some great resources for the reasoning test which is similar to the tests Cathay uses. At this time I am using my sisters SAT prep books.

Hey there,

As mentioned in a previous post, the reasoning/IQ test you are given in Stage 1 actually comes from Raven's Progressive Matrices. Google it and you should find more information on this book, perhaps you can find it in your local library as well. As for the math test in Stage 2, the questions will be quite similar to the ones you find in graduate-trainee interviews for most accounting/business firms. At this stage, the main point will be to get your brain into gear, so doing SAT or GMAT can achieve this, even if the questions aren't similar to the ones in the CX test.

lautzeyan
2nd Mar 2010, 13:19
How long do I have to wait before I can apply again?

PA28R
3rd Mar 2010, 00:52
has anyone got any replied from cx, for candidates who are in North America, or does anyone know if or when will CX, conducting initial interview in NA, because i applied to CX cadet program 4-5 months ago and got no reply from them.

thanks

holdmetight
3rd Mar 2010, 04:56
From some previous posts, it looks as if the next round of initial interviews in North America will be held in Vancouver some time in April. I also know that CX are doing initial interviews in SE Asia, in mid-April. It looks like the wait for an interview outside HKG stands at around 6 months, so hang on in there!

Hope this helps.

LA-250
3rd Mar 2010, 06:06
I applied early October of the previous year and haven't heard anything yet. I chose Vancouver as first preference for the interview and I see that some other people here on the forum are invited for an interview in April. Anyone else invited for Vancouver in April? And when did you apply?

AsL402
3rd Mar 2010, 06:20
I applied June of last year and barely just got a reply from them. They wanted me to send in my transcripts via email.

rahulpereira
3rd Mar 2010, 07:18
I also know that CX are doing initial interviews in SE Asia, in mid-April. It looks like the wait for an interview outside HKG stands at around 6 months, so hang on in there!

Hey Holdmetight,
I have applied from India in DEC 1st week, so if what you said is indeed true , how long do you think before I should get a call for Stage 1.
I have been reading on pprune a lot about dates for UK, Australia and N America, do they hold interviews for SE Asia that often too ?
I am eagerly waiting for an email.........
Regards,
Rahul Pereira

holdmetight
3rd Mar 2010, 07:50
I have applied from India in DEC 1st week, so if what you said is indeed true , how long do you think before I should get a call for Stage 1.

Beats me. Did you tell them you wanted to be interviewed in India? I think how long you will wait depends on how quickly they can get a reasonable number of applicants based in India. If there aren't enough candidates wanting an assessment in India, then you could be in for a long wait. Why don't you think about changing your preference for interview location?

I have been reading on pprune a lot about dates for UK, Australia and N America, do they hold interviews for SE Asia that often too ?

I have never heard of CX conducting Stage 1 interviews in SE Asia before, so I guess the upcoming one in April is the first? Don't take my word for it though, perhaps someone else can prove me wrong. However I am quite sure CX don't visit SE Asia as frequently as they do with UK, Australia and N America.

I would also advise anyone who has waited for a long time, to be proactive with your application. You can call/e-mail them periodically to keep yourself updated towards the status of your application. Having said that, don't stalk/harass them as you could come across as obsessive and unpleasant, but then again taking the initiative could possibly add marks as it proves your enthusiasm. Get it done well, and it could make them think of you the next time they come to your region. Good luck!

nicky7789
3rd Mar 2010, 09:23
wat is the most common jobs ppl will do when they didnt get accepted in the CX cadet pilot program interview?

rahulpereira
3rd Mar 2010, 11:33
Well, thanks a lot for your reply,
I actually put India as my 1st preference but then as an added measure I also opted for HK as my 2nd preference, so even if as you said there aren't many candidates from India I atleast hope they will give me a date in HK itself, I know they won't sponsor me for stage 1 but I'm prepared to go myself to HK.

Also I did send them an email in Jan ,maybe time to send another one in to remind them that there are a few if not many who are living in between Australasia and the UK.

Also as you said if they are holding interviews for SE Asia in April they ought to have informed us by now, don't you think?

Will keep my fingers crossed and shoot them an email.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Rahul Pereira

holdmetight
3rd Mar 2010, 12:01
Also as you said if they are holding interviews for SE Asia in April they ought to have informed us by now, don't you think?

Rahul, the upcoming interviews being held in SE Asia will be conducted in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I think they are primarily looking at Singaporeans and Malaysians this time around. Why don't you try putting HKG as your first choice for interview location? As HKG is the company home base, it is the only location that guarantees interviews throughout the year. While I do not know how often interviews in HKG are held, logically speaking they should be held more frequently than anywhere else around the world.

rahulpereira
3rd Mar 2010, 12:14
Well, I did try opening my application on the CX website but it doesn't allow me to do so, so I can't make any changes.
I also just sent a mail to CX, waiting for their reply, but other than that the only thing I can do is wait and watch.......
Thanks for replying once again
Regards,
Rahul Pereira

lautzeyan
3rd Mar 2010, 13:38
How should I write for the oral presentation topic?

holdmetight
3rd Mar 2010, 14:06
How should I write for the oral presentation topic?

You might want to talk about the details of the training that cadet pilots receive in Adelaide. Things such as the number of modules, focus of each module, aircraft flown, total hours you end up with, ground school subjects you study while training, total number of weeks you stay in ADL, the licenses you end up with... basically anything you can find about the training aspects of the CPP.

I remember I went in and pulled my speech out of my backside, so I didn't go very far before I ran out of things to say. Admittedly that was not a good move, so in the remaining time the HR ended up asking me further questions about cadet training. Just prove to them you can speak decent English and you should be okay.

PA28R
3rd Mar 2010, 14:53
thanks for your info :ok:

lautzeyan
3rd Mar 2010, 15:16
To holdmetight:

So where can I find the complete and detailed info of CPP of CX?

Are you a uni student or working?

Have you applied before?

holdmetight
3rd Mar 2010, 16:14
So where can I find the complete and detailed info of CPP of CX?

I don't think the all-in-one wonder gouge you are looking for exists. To find out more, you will need to take the initiative to do (a lot of) your own research. A good start would be this forum, I believe a lot of useful information has been shared by a lot of people here. Being proactive is very important, don't expect manna to fall from the sky. Good luck!

saxeuman
4th Mar 2010, 14:56
Hi all,

Got an email from them. They will be conducting the initial interview here in Singapore late April.

Cheers

Swine Facipic
5th Mar 2010, 00:42
Hello Fellow Wannabes,

I opened my e-mail today and I saw 67 requests for the JKI booklet and list of questions.

I have sent all the info to all the people I can , happy to see the enthusiasm and motivation in all. I was out of touch since the 5th of Feb Because of my Stage 2 /3 interviews and the celebrations after.

I will be writing a post similar to Post #146 regarding the stage 2/3 interviews soon.

thank you for all your help and support.

Regards ,
Swine Facipic

CaptainCourageous au
5th Mar 2010, 07:16
Had my management interview roughly a month ago and i’m still yet to hear anything back. Anyone in a similiar situation? or since heard back?

mhhermanlo
5th Mar 2010, 07:27
Hi there,

I'm a local HK people who have just got the call from CX about Stage 2 interview on 24th March. I would like to meet the buddies who got the invitation for the interview as well. Let's meet up and prepare for the interview tgt. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers!

flyawayk
5th Mar 2010, 09:45
Hi saxeuman, can I know when did you submit your application and receive the email from CX for the initial interview in Singapore? Thanks and all the best for the interview. :ok:

Cheers!

saxeuman
5th Mar 2010, 14:35
Hi flyawayk,

I think I sent in my application online middle of jan this year and received the email from them 2 days back.

Thanks for your wishes, have you applied for the cadetship as well?

Cheers

ademaro
5th Mar 2010, 16:17
hey man, did they invite you for an interview already? or will they contact you when the time comes?

flyawayk
6th Mar 2010, 06:30
Hi saxeuman,
check your PM. :ok:

dagger19
6th Mar 2010, 09:08
are you all from singapore too?

maybe we can visit a chatroom for a private chat since we are heading in the same direction in life! =)

lautzeyan
6th Mar 2010, 14:20
What kind of aircraft does CX operate?for which route particularly?

How many aircraft does CX have?

7R and 7L(do we read L or left?R or right?)

ademaro
6th Mar 2010, 15:16
yeah im from singapore as well. maybe we can chat thru msn or smth?

lautzeyan
7th Mar 2010, 02:40
What kind/model of aircraft will we learn in Australia?

lautzeyan
7th Mar 2010, 06:18
Any good books for preparation of Oxford Placement test and reasoning test?

drumx
7th Mar 2010, 09:08
I am from Singapore too.
I sent out my application during early Sep last year.
Got the invitation last week for the coming Stage 1 in April.

It was soooo long and I almost forgotten about this application.
Anyway, that's about it.

I have a friend who also applied (1 - 2 months later), he got the rejection letter immediately after 2 weeks. So I was also very uncertain about their recruitment during then...

Anyway, we shall see... Good Luck!!

saxeuman
7th Mar 2010, 11:02
Hi drumx,

Your interview's on april 20th?? I am tentatively meeting up with a applicant next sunday just to discuss and prep for the interview. You interested to join us? Let me know ok...

BTW, what do you do?? have you got any flying experiences?

Cheers
saxeuman

drumx
8th Mar 2010, 04:26
Hi Saxeuman,

Sounds like a good plan. I am OK with the meet up.

I only got a PPL with not much hours.

holdmetight
8th Mar 2010, 07:58
[email protected]

In case you can't see it - cadetpilot(at)cathaypacific.com

PA28R
8th Mar 2010, 15:30
hello everyone i finally got my stage 1 interview in hkg, but on another hand i have to pay for my ticket and hotel, reason being is because currently interviews are happening in HKG, for stage1 etc, so i got email saying saying if i want attend interview in hkg, i have to pay for ticket and hotel, if i want to stick to my original location then its not a problem, but anyhow i just thought let everyone know about, it and if someone from hongkong can guide me for hotel accomodation and how much money will be enough to stay for 10 days.

Thanks
:E

holdmetight
8th Mar 2010, 15:55
Congratulations on getting a Stage 1 interview! Here is a hotel that could suit your needs:

Hotel Novotel Hong Kong Citygate: travel, stay or vacation, holiday at HONG KONG (http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-6239-novotel-hong-kong-citygate/index.shtml)

The hotel is quite close to the Airport and CX City, where you will be having your interviews. Needless to say it will save you a lot of time and transportation costs. Not sure if it's the best bargain in terms of price, but in terms of geographical proximity, it is the best... of course unless you are keen on staying in the Airport Regal Hotel which is just right next to the airport terminal building and in the vicinity of jet aircraft taking off and landing.

The website should be able to give you a quote for your 10 days' stay. Good luck!

AsL402
8th Mar 2010, 16:26
Hello everyone, I got a reply for Stage 1 as well in early-mid April at HK. Guess I should start prepping for everything since all this came in a sudden...I always thought they didn't accept my application since I submitted it all the way back in August. Hope all goes well for those who are invited to Stage 1 as well!

PA28R
8th Mar 2010, 21:40
thanks for the information, appretiate it. are there any other hotels which are cheap coz they seem to be 4 or 5 star hotel lol which i cant afford yet:\,

thanks in advance

PA28R
8th Mar 2010, 23:11
hey thanks i called and made reservation thanks for your help saved quite a lot :ok:

thanks

lee_apromise
9th Mar 2010, 00:54
Does anyone know when the next interview will be held in Australia?

I'm studying for Australian CASA CPL theories and intend to take all theory exams within this year.

Do you guys think studying CPL theories might help in preparation for knowledge test for CX cadet program?

PA28R
9th Mar 2010, 02:06
hello lee, don't count me on this, but i heard that cx at present are not conducting interviews in foreign countries, except for hkg at present. like i said i also heard from someone but not sure, may be someone else can throw some light on this. i also waited long time and just got email today for interview, so hang in there my friend

CaptainCourageous au
9th Mar 2010, 02:08
I assume the next round of interview in Australia will start October-November.

Studying CPL’s will show a level of commitment to becoming a pilot which is exactly what they are looking for. As well as looking for someone who fits the profile of a cadet they want to make sure that applying for this programme isn't just a passing phase, which could lead to someone leaving the programme half way through because they were bored and had not thought out their career path properly.

As for preparing for the knowledge test (I assume you mean the JKI) it essentially should help, however in the interview (stage 1) you will be asked questions on all the theory you should have completed so far in your studies that you are qualified to. i.e if you have passed CPL Met you will be asked some meteorology questions to a standard of CPL.

CaptainCourageous au
9th Mar 2010, 02:13
PA28R I’ve heard similar things.

With the damage caused by the Global Financial Crisis fleet orders have been postponed or cancelled and as such there is a reduced demand for Pilots and the programme is being wound down a bit. Hopefully the programme will not be narrowed to only include HKG residents once more.

PA28R
9th Mar 2010, 02:54
yea fingers cross

lee_apromise
9th Mar 2010, 03:11
Thanks everyone for replies. Well, I know everything takes time and I don't have a problem with it. I just wanted to know when the next interview round in Australia will be held, that's all.

I guess in the mean time, I'm gonna do CPL + IR theories exams and prepare for QF cadet as well. It's not the end of the world.

Damn, gotta get back to engineering work. A lot of things due in 3 hours time :ugh:

p.s: When I applied for CX cadet program online, my initial account seemed to have some glitches hence I created second account to submit the application. A few weeks ago, CX sent me an e-mail saying as below:

"We found that you have already completed and submitted your application form to us. Your User ID is XX-XXX

We also found that you are drafting another application with the wrong email address. Please do not submit that duplicate application to us.

Thanks for your attention."

May be they are still reviewing applications from overseas in my opinion.

Good luck to those fellas heading for interviews, wish you all the best :ok:

holdmetight
9th Mar 2010, 05:25
While the GFC has caused damage to the carrier and aviation industry as a whole, I'd say it shouldn't have much effect on the recruitment of cadet pilots. It takes at least 1.5 years for a cadet to get from his first Grob flight to getting CTL in a B777, so by that time the economy should have run up a bit, people come and gone, and aircraft should have started coming in steadily albeit slowly. Graduating cadets who cannot immediately get into the company are put onto a holding pool anyway, so IMO CX should keep recruiting cadets for its pilot reservoir, given they are likely to replace direct-entry pilots in the long-run.

CX have selections put in place for Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Vancouver next month, so I'm not quite sure things are slowing down substantially? I'd say the long wait of around 6 months is just a common occurence now.

n1312
9th Mar 2010, 13:18
hi guys, i heard the interview will be in sgp next month. but i only applied today 9 march 10. is it too late for me to get the interview next mth? help pls!!

StandardToaster
9th Mar 2010, 14:32
PA28R

Congratulations. Where are you having your interviews? Where did you hear about Cx stopping interviews outside hkg?

AsL402
9th Mar 2010, 18:58
Was anyone able to find the Raven's Advanced Progressive Matrices? i can't find it online or anywhere in the US.

Thanks,

mmrassi
9th Mar 2010, 20:08
Hi guys,

I do believe that I'm too late on this topic but I hace a question and need your help.

I'm about to get my CPL from South Africa and I applied for cadet program last week. How long do you guys guess it takes for them to call me for interview?

Please if someone knows tell me.

Cheers

blackbird93
10th Mar 2010, 00:07
I cant seem to find it anywhere in Malaysia or on the internet either. :ugh:
Perhaps any kind souls here would like to enlighten us, thanx in advance.

lee_apromise
10th Mar 2010, 00:16
I found a website that sells Ravern's progressive matrices materials but the price was utterly shocking. I think 3 sets were sold at around US$400.

PA28R
10th Mar 2010, 02:00
thanks , sorry for the confusion i did't meant to say that cx has stopped taking interviews outside hkg, what i meant was i heard from one of the cadets with cx who is adelaide ryte now, saying that cx are conducting interviews only in hkg for now until further advised, now i dont know where he got this info from...lol, so if you have applied and are waiting then just relax and you will get interview i know waiting is the worst part, but hey good things always come to people who wait .

good luck

PA28R
10th Mar 2010, 02:02
oh and i have my interview on 07 april :ok:

mmrassi
10th Mar 2010, 04:31
hi plz someone answer post # 353

holdmetight
10th Mar 2010, 04:55
Re: Post #353

Hey, it's impossible to predict how long you will need to wait until they call you. It all depends on a lot of factors, most of which are unknown and out of our control anyway. It seems most of us here have been waiting for several months, if it makes you feel better. Hope this helps.

Bizzle284
10th Mar 2010, 07:19
Wuts going on. I'm new to register in this forum, but just noticed you were from Los Angeles. I'm from Florida and I haven't seen many Americans on the Forum who were applying. I had the same situation. Applied back in August and sort of forgot about it. I got an email from them about changing my location on the application and when I did I got another email that night saying to come to hong kong in a month. Threw me off guard. LOL good luck to you.

Bizzle284
10th Mar 2010, 15:09
That last message was for AsL402. But I also wanted to say hi to everyone. I just joined PPRuNe last night, but have following the posts for quite some time. I also just received a call to go to Hong Kong. It was so sudden. They pretty much send an email that says be here in a month. HaHa. I'm glad to see that so many different people have applied from so many different countries. Best of luck to all of you. Cheers

-Josh

Arun_Fly
10th Mar 2010, 16:08
Hey guys,

I Applied Last Week for the CPP program and haven't got any kind of acknowledgment from them. i know that people have been waiting for months but i just cant seem to wait. I m looking for a career change and CX CPP looks like the only affordable chance for my dreams of flying.

Anyways m from India and gave it as my first preference location for interview and my second as Singapore. but can i change my location to hong kong in case i want to? Looks like i cant edit my App after submitting it. Can anyone throw light on this? As i read this thread HK seems to be the best location for a shot at getting the interview call. or else what do u guys suggest?

AsL402
10th Mar 2010, 17:18
Hey Bizzle284, I guess you are referring to me since I'm probably the only person from LA. Yeah the notice is a bit short but luckily I should be able to go back next month. I have already replied their email telling them I'll attend in HK. How about you? Are you planning to go as well?

vortexgenerators
10th Mar 2010, 23:29
hello everyone, i have a question...i want to apply for cpp program and i was wondering if someone can give me suggestion on this, i am from US and i got in trouble with law and have misdameanour on my record, will that affect me. I have excellent grades from uni, and awards, and recommendation letters from present employers and professors. please honest opinion , i mean would it show on the background check even though i was convicted of misdeameanour in USA.

drumx
11th Mar 2010, 00:29
Hi VG,

I believe the best people to advise you would be from CX HR. We can say 101 things but end of the day it will be CX's call to take you in or not. Unless there is someone here from CX's HR Dept who can answer your question.

But if you are having problems getting into a local airline, you might probably encounter the same problem with CX. I reckoned you contact them to clear your doubts.

Good luck!! :ok:

vortexgenerators
11th Mar 2010, 02:04
i havent applied to any airline in usa, because i dont have any flight time. what i wanted to know is that if i will have problem getting clearence in hongkong as pilot if i have misdeameanor in usa,

PA28R
11th Mar 2010, 02:49
not sure...what to say

Bizzle284
11th Mar 2010, 03:21
Oh I'm definitely planning on going. I went to work yesterday and got all my days covered. Kind of excited, but pretty nervous. I liked hong kong a lot when I went to visit my friend there last year. Just the flight......that is one LOOONGGG flight :ok:

Bizzle284
11th Mar 2010, 03:23
I know you can email HR to have them change your location. [email protected]

Arun_Fly
11th Mar 2010, 07:51
Hey Bizzle284,

The thing is i have already mailed the HR at the email id you mentioned inquiring about the status of my application. haven't got any rely till date. So i wondering if it is wise to ask for the interview location and stuff even before they have processed my application.
well you should know this.. how long do they take to reply if we mail them with any questions? and BTW are you looking for a career change as well? what is your current occupation?

holdmetight
11th Mar 2010, 09:36
Hey Arun, last time I e-mailed them it took them 4 working days to get back to me. As there are so many applications, I don't think they tend to respond to e-mails if they cannot give a definite answer to your question. Maybe they are unsure when they will next conduct Stage 1 in India? If you have told them you want to change your interview location, then all you can do is trust they have seen your e-mail and taken note. Be patient, use the upcoming months to prepare.

AsL402
11th Mar 2010, 17:06
Sounds good Bizzle284, yeah its a pretty long flight. But I've flown to HK many times and its worth it every time. I'm pretty nervous as well, not too sure how to prepare for this. Just following the guidance from the previous posts. Hopefully we'll get to meet in Adelaide in the future!

FlyAsh
11th Mar 2010, 18:06
Hey guys,
Is it wise to give the stage 1 interview location as HongKong when your preferred location is something else to get a call? Are opportunities to be called more if we have preferred location as HK instead of some other city? Please reply asap :)

Rgds,
FlyAsh..

Mike Whiskey Romeo
11th Mar 2010, 21:34
Hi guys,

Has anyone got a call for stage 1 in London yet? I was told some time ago it would take place around April

Thanks

M

PA28R
12th Mar 2010, 00:24
do i have to pay for stage2 session as well?, i know i will be paying for stage1.

thanks

Bizzle284
12th Mar 2010, 02:54
Hey Arun Fly. I'm not really sure how long it takes at all. I received my first email back from them a week ago asking if I wanted to change my preference and I replied I would change it to HK (I had that as my second choice before). Naw I'm not lookin for a career change. I work customer service for an airline here in America. The flying world isn't too great right now over here. Many airlines are furloughing pilots. But I've always wanted to fly so...here I am. It seems like a really great opportunity.

AsL402 -

It's cool that you've been to Hong Kong a bit. I guess you get used to the flight the more you do it. The first time I went, I had slept 10 hrs the night before (bad idea). I was up for the first 10 hrs of the flight, slept for an hour then back up. I was definitely ready to get off the plane when we landed HaHa. Good luck to you. Hope to see you in Adelaide as well...

holdmetight
12th Mar 2010, 05:49
Is it wise to give the stage 1 interview location as HongKong when your preferred location is something else to get a call?

Put it this way, HKG is the base of operations, so cadet pilot interviews are guaranteed to be held there more frequently than any other location in the world. I'd say the pros of choosing HKG over your hometown would be a possibly shorter wait for an interview that is more certain of happening. The con, obviously is that you might need to splash out for travel and accomodation in HKG. Go figure.

Phili-T
12th Mar 2010, 07:05
Hi. i'm also in south Africa and i have my CPL. I applied to the program in August last yeIr and they only called me up in February. It was a long wait and I had honestly given up hope but I got the call and went to the 1st interview. I will know the result in a few days time... fingers crossed

Phili-T
12th Mar 2010, 07:10
Hi. I'm also in South Africa and i have my CPL. I applied to the program in August last year and they only called me up in February. It was a long wait and I had honestly given up hope but I got the call and went to the 1st interview. I will know the result in a few days time... fingers crossed

forssi
12th Mar 2010, 07:16
Phili-T,

I was at the interview yesterday....When did they say they'd let you know about the outcome?

Arun_Fly
12th Mar 2010, 08:34
@holdmetight @Bizzle :hey guys.. thanks for the inputs. will keep those in mind. haven't got any replies still.. guess they are loaded with thousands of applications. :sad:

@Phili-T and forssi : Where did u guys have your interviews? Can you share your experience in the forum. It would be of great help to all of us.:)

Phili-T
12th Mar 2010, 18:22
Hey.

my interview was in Johannesburg South Africa. It consisted of 3 stages. I was sweating like a turkey on thanksgiving. But they asked general questions concerning aviation and personal stuff. They also asked about Hong Kong. But that wasn't as in depth as I thought.

After the interview I had a basic aviation knowledge test. They send you the material to study but its all general aviation stuff and after 500 I knew the stuff fairly well. Last but not least was a reasoning rest. That was a challenge.
All in all I felt I did my best. They said they'll get back to me in about 10 days.
Frossi, how was yours?

Tana-Airlines
12th Mar 2010, 19:44
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, althought I've been reading that thread for ages.
Finger crossed now for you all in South Africa. Hope to have some good news from you soon!

Fili-T, I have heard that this Aviation Knowledge test is based on a booklet they send before. If it is a PDF file, could you please send it to me? Just to have a look on it. I want to check the difficulty level.

Thanks!

forssi
15th Mar 2010, 06:35
Interview went well i think, although competition is very tough.

I had the personal and technical interview first, also asked alt of questions about Hong Kong which i knew.

I then did the Reasoning Test which started off easy and ended off difficult.

Then I did the JKI test which i think i could have prepared better for which i'm kicking myself for.

They said they'll get back to me in 2 weeks but i hope it's sooner.

As for my qualifications, I've got 350 TT CPL with ME/IR. King type rating and I've got a BCom degree specializing in Aviation Management. I work in ops at a charter company at Lanseria Airport in South Africa with 4 years experience.

Bizzle284
15th Mar 2010, 07:47
Hey Forssi. Congrats on the interview and good luck to you. I have an interview in 3 weeks and I'm very nervous. I have a CPL with 260 hrs and I'm curious what kind of questions they will ask. My friend tells me the questions will be on a commercial level. Also, if you could give any insight on the questions that they asked about Hong Kong i would appreciate it. Thanks.

-J

forssi
15th Mar 2010, 08:08
They basically want to see that you have an interest in moving to Hong Kong.

They ask the basics about the place like whats the population, main religion etc.

Know your aircaft that you are currently flying very well, for example whats the tire pressures, engine types, speed etc.

Most important thing to remember is to be yourself. Don't be cocky or arrogant. Give short answers as this will leave room for the interviewer to ask why after your answers. Don't leave any doubt in your answers either. If you get a questions wrong or don't know the answer don't stress, just simply say you don't know the answer.

Make your CV very presentable, have all your copies with and dress in a suit as this shows you are serious about the interview.

Best of luck and remember competition is stiff!!!

forssi
15th Mar 2010, 10:00
Don't know the ratio you're talking about but the 3 other chaps that were also being interviewed with me both had flying experience.

S.J
15th Mar 2010, 10:03
Hey guys, i went for the interview last monday and they send me an email which says you are not successful on this occasion.

However, we shall hold your application on file. Please inform us of any change in address, or education qualifications with a view to reapplying for our Cadet Pilot Programme in six months’ time.

I feel soooo bad that i didn't get it but i want to reapply does anybody know what i should do? should i go on the web site and apply again ? and has anybody failed on the first stage and then reapplied and got accepted?

thanks

S.J

forssi
15th Mar 2010, 11:41
Just reapply in 6 months, i have heard of guys who failed on their first attempt and now are F/O with CX.

Do you have any flying experience? Qualifications etc?

Tana-Airlines
15th Mar 2010, 13:01
Hey guys,

Thank you all for your feedbacks! Don't hesistate to make this thread fatter and fatter with information about your interviews, asked questions, advice etc etc...

The competition is definitely tough as it is an "international selection" for such a low number of places available in Adelaide! Having a ratio would be interesting though.

S.J. so sorry for your rejection. You definitely should reapply online but only in 6 months time, not before. And very important, make your application more interesting for next time, they will compare them! Get some more flying hours if you fly, try to get some trainings, start to learn a language (French for example! :} ). And try to make a nice summary of your interview you just had to be more efficient in 6 months!

I've also heard many guys saying that they succeed on their 2nd attempt.

Good luck!

holdmetight
15th Mar 2010, 15:08
Guys, failure isn't the end of the world - they probably have doubts about something so they decided not to let you through. More than half the people who eventually succeed in becoming cadets have failed in some stage of their application before. Failing does not mean you are not suitable to be a pilot, they just won't take risks when you cannot convince them you have what it takes. If they tell you to re-apply after 6 months, then use the time to improve and come back a stronger candidate.

As for the ratio of applicants vs spots... I'm not sure about the exact number of applicants but for arguments sake I'll assume 10,000 because it's definitely not any less than that. They aim to take around 60 candidates in 2010, so I'd say it's 10,000:60... or 167 applicants competing for 1 spot.

AsL402
15th Mar 2010, 19:37
Wow that's some tough odds! I didn't know so many people are interested in this program...

Holdmetight, these 10,000 applicants you are estimating...are they all invited to Stage 1 or does this 10,000 also include people that just applied and didn't get to Stage 1?

Thanks,

Phili-T
15th Mar 2010, 20:18
Wow forssi. That's amazing man. Where did you get your degree? tuks? I heard through the grapevine that they offer a degree like that. I'm sure you'll do well with that ace up your sleeve. I also work at FALA but at a flight training school. Small world hey. They told me 10 days. That was on the tenth of the month...

Yeah guys. Rejection just means there's something else to be done. This is not a once in a lifetime, never gonna happen again, hell or glory nothing in between decision. I would love the chance and even if it doesn't work out, there are more opportunities out there. Maybe with CX maybe somewhere else.

Do you really think there are that many applicants? A 1 in 167 chance is hectic man. I know a few guys who weren't called. Maybe that 10000 includes them

holdmetight
16th Mar 2010, 03:09
10,000 is an estimate of the total number of applications they get annually, including people who get accepted/rejected during different stages of interview, and those who never/haven't heard back from CX. It's hardly surprising, given they take applications 24/7 and from everywhere around the world. The number is hardly ballpark though, it looks more like an optimistic outlook. I'd say the actual figure surpasses this one by an entire cityblock.

forssi
16th Mar 2010, 04:23
Phil-T, Yes i studied at TUKS. They don't offer the degree anymore which is a shame. I went for my interview on the 11th, so hopefully we get some feedback soon.

As for the rejection, you can't plan your flying career on one interview or one opportunity. It took me 7 years to get my CPL on my own steam so i know all about disappointment. All i say is be patient and do your best and you will get results. I've been struggling to find a full time flying job for 2 years as the industry is basically at a stand still when it comes to jobs for low timers.

duet
16th Mar 2010, 06:03
mhhermanlo check your pm

forssi
16th Mar 2010, 08:56
I got the rejection email today.

Phili-T, let me know your outcome.

Africa contract flying here I come!!!!!!!

Good luck to the other guys from SA.

flying_hamster
17th Mar 2010, 05:42
Im putting this out to anybody who may have been through the cadet pilot programme with CX, or are currently in the process. How many of the people who have applied since the scheme was open for international applicants have actually started flight training at Adelaide?

I read the link to the wowpeter blog, but it appears as though he went through the process 3 years ago.

My main reason for asking this, is because im not too sure if CX interviews people, and then puts them in a pool, or sends all eligible people for training straight away after the interviews and flight grading at the flight school in Adelaide.

Anybody out there know?

holdmetight
17th Mar 2010, 05:55
How many of the people who have applied since the scheme was open for international applicants have actually started flight training at Adelaide?

Don't know the number of people in each class, so I cannot give you an exact figure. 4 classes were opened since CX opened the cadet program to all nationalities - CP34, CP35, CP36 and CP37. Assuming each class has about 10-15 people, that would give you around 40-60 people. It seems all these classes contain a mixture of local and international cadets.

If you pass flight grading, you are put into the next available course and you start training ASAP. I think they start a new course every 2-3 months nowadays.

flying_hamster
17th Mar 2010, 06:27
@Holdmetight: Thanks for the insight.

I am currently waiting for an interview date, having applied in June '09. However, I received an email yesterday from CX saying that because I'm travelling from Kenya, they'll try and slot me in to a schedule where stage 1a and 1b is approximately 5days apart, so I dont have to travel back and forth, as it is stage 1 is at my expense. I think CX is really very thoughtful in that respect, I'd have to say :)

S.J
17th Mar 2010, 10:36
hey! yea i got ma CPL/IR 4 months ago and i have passed all the ATPL subjects i really dont know where i went wrong :( am ganna apply again. so did they reject u too ??

S.J
17th Mar 2010, 10:48
thanx for the advice, i will try to learn a new language, i juss hope i get it next time :)

forssi
17th Mar 2010, 12:18
yes, they just rejected me too.

No worries, maybe we should plan a trip to Maun together sometime, I can maybe get a Mooney that we can fly there, just have to split the costs.

Phili-T
17th Mar 2010, 13:30
S.J. and forssi

Tough break guys but keep your heads up and pointed to the blue. Toady was a beautiful day for GA. The visibility was incredible and it hit me that the CX thing is the dream but GA is the life!:ok:

Still haven't heard from them. It's been a week now. I'm starting to stress :ugh:

AsL402
17th Mar 2010, 17:25
Seems like so many people are getting rejected :sad:

A lot of you have flying experience too. Wonder how will I stand next month with no flight hours at all.

Does anyone one know if I have any advantage if I am originally from Hong Kong and if I have a HKID?

All these posts are getting me more nervous...

ap_797
17th Mar 2010, 23:08
Does anyone know when Cathay will next be back in the UK?

@ AsL402, I have that same worry too! Though the requirements do state no prior flight experience is necessary so I guess it all depends on how it goes on the day.

Best of luck to all!

flying_hamster
18th Mar 2010, 06:39
I received an email this morning from Cathay, inviting me for the stage 1a interview in HKG for 8th April. Is there anybody else who got a similar email?

Is there any advice from people who have been through the process more recently?

I will be travelling from Kenya. I'd appreciate if anybody can suggest decent, cheap budget hotels that I can stay in, as I'm travelling on a very very tight budget to attend these interviews.

holdmetight
18th Mar 2010, 09:53
Don't worry about a lack of flying experience, having time under your belt is just one way of getting an interview with the company. You should have other things that would appeal to them too.

ap_797 is right, it all depends on how you perform in your interview. Flying experience merely gets you the interview, but it is your performance that decides if you succeed or not. A good interview performance means demonstrating the level of technical knowledge/aptitude that can be reasonably expected of you, AND also giving something extra so the HR staff have something to remember you by. This is especially true when you face stiff competition to get into the next round, and those who can offer something more/different will be the ones who make it to Stage 2. If you have nothing to make yourself stand out, then it will be hard for them to think of you when the time comes to make decisions. I say this with all due respect for everyone who has just been through Stage 1.

flying_hamster, a couple posts back someone asked the same question about accomodation in HKG. I believe he decided to stay in the CX company hotel (the Headland) which is right next to Cathay City. I think he was able to book a room because he was in HKG on the grounds of a CX cadet interview. Check out their website below:

:: Welcome to Headland Hotel :: (http://www.headland.com.hk/sc_webcat/ecat/cms_view.php?lang=1&web_id=21)

copywrite33
18th Mar 2010, 14:59
Hey everyone,

I have applied for this cadet programme but was wondering one thing:

Because i applied from the UK i assume they will want to interview me in the UK. I am able to travel anywhere in the world (mothers staff travel benefits) so would I make myself look better by emailing/phoning them and offering to meet them anywhere? or will they just tell me to wait for the next round of UK interviews?

Only reason im asking is because i finish my degree this summer and am trying to decide if i should stay on for my honours year or not, dont want to get half way through and have to pack it in (at great cost) to move away.

Cheers,

HughHefner
18th Mar 2010, 16:10
Question for anyone who knows, I've tried to apply but can't because of the high school exam part of the application. I'm from the USA and we don't have any kind of tests like that, I tried to put my old SAT scores on there but they wouldn't take it. I am a college graduate, so any help on how to get around this? Thank you for your help.

MidgetBoy
18th Mar 2010, 16:13
You've never had exams in high school?
Just put your letter grade as a % in the spot you need to fill out.

AsL402
18th Mar 2010, 18:56
Question for anyone who knows, I've tried to apply but can't because of the high school exam part of the application. I'm from the USA and we don't have any kind of tests like that, I tried to put my old SAT scores on there but they wouldn't take it. I am a college graduate, so any help on how to get around this? Thank you for your help.

I don't think info for those boxes are really required. I just used one to put my HS graduation year and my GPA for the result. I didn't even put my SAT scores.

flying_hamster
19th Mar 2010, 04:33
Well, now i'm in a spot!

When I had initially applied for the cadet programme in June '09, I was in university in Malaysia, and naturally put KUL as my first choice for stage 1 hoping they'd get back to me within 8 weeks as they'd said in the automatic email confirmation.

I eventually moved back home to Kenya in September '09, and in Feb 2010, sent an email to cathay pacific asking about interviews in KUL, and I got the standard "geographical area response", but I had also asked them to update my educational qualifications, and they asked if I wanted to change my first choice interview location. I looked at that as a chance to obtain an interview in HKG seeing my 8 month wait, and more importantly me being one step closer to my flying dream.

I received an email from Cathay 2 days ago, saying that they're holding interviews in HKG for stage 1a on the 8th of April, and 1b on the 13 or 16th of April 2010, and if i can stay in HKG up to the 16th, then I should reply back to them so that they can send me further details regarding the interviews. I am still waiting for them to get back to me on that.

Now the twist: Turns out, CX has interviews in KUL around mid-April, seeing from the posts.

I really dont know what to do, because I know that im on a tight budget if I travel to either destination. However, I am familiar with KUL to start with, and also have friends there which would cut down the cost of my flight, accommodation costs, food and transportation costs, and overall it is just a cheaper city to live in compared to HKG (from what I have heard- I've never been to HKG before).

Not too sure what to do from here..

holdmetight
19th Mar 2010, 12:24
Hey there,

I would advise you to travel to HKG for Stage 1, because if you choose to do so, you will be offered a concrete chance for an interview. The same cannot be said of a possible interview in KUL, as they probably have already drawn up a list of candidates to assess there. Additionally, I personally don't think that changing your interview location preference at such short notice will go down well with the HR team, if you previously indicated you could come to HKG but now want to go to KUL instead.

Furthermore, if you stay in the Headland you could be saving a lot on transportation and accomodation costs as well. I know that staying in a hotel for 10 days straight isn't exactly the best thing to do if you're going somewhere for the first time, but as far as an interview goes you are both close to the venue and already saving a lot of money that would be used on transportation to and from CX City and the airport. Depending on the lengths you are willing to go to, your financial expenditure could be much lower than you are probably anticipating. You might be paying peanuts by going to KUL for Stage 1, but going to Stage 1 in HKG has its own unique strengths at a cost that I personally think is reasonable. That's just me though, you be the judge! :ok:

My two cents, hope it helps!

AsL402
19th Mar 2010, 22:38
Staying at the Headland seems like a pretty good idea. But the only problem I see is convenience. It is very convenient to Cathay City, but we are only going there 2 days out of the 1.5 - 2 weeks being there. I am pretty sure you would like to take a tour around the city as well. I'm not too familiar with the hotel or Cathay City, but I guessing most of the food there is hotel food.

The closest city there is Tung Chung, which is still quite new and not too much to do there. Cathay City, Hong Kong Airport and Tung Chung all are on the Lantau Island and is quite far from the city center of Hong Kong.

If you want to save all the trouble in navigating yourself through Hong Kong, the Headlands Hotel is definitely a great choice. However, if you would like to explore the city a little, staying in Kowloon or Hong Kong Island might actually save you some money (Two trips to Cathay City isn't too expensive). There is lots of different types of hotels there anywhere from 1 star.

SMOC
20th Mar 2010, 07:41
There are two types of "Cadets" now, those with no experience and those with 200 - 1000 hours, the term cadet is poorly used in this instance.

There will be basically a long course and a short course.

citation89
20th Mar 2010, 08:49
@Paperbag

Whilst what SMOC says will be true, the short course for those with experience has not commenced yet. Anyone with any experience can apply for the cadet scheme, whether you have zero hours or your an instructor with 1000hours plus, but you would still need to repeat the entire course from the beginning.

The short course may be in operation by the time the application was processed, but it also may not, so you would need to be prepared to repeat all your training again.

Good Luck! :ok:

lautzeyan
21st Mar 2010, 09:23
To holdmetight:

What stage are you in now?

lautzeyan
21st Mar 2010, 09:40
Anyone knows are there any other CPP similar to CX's and KA's in China or countries outside Hong Kong?

holdmetight
21st Mar 2010, 13:34
I'm still stuck at Stage 0. I've been waiting for 3 months and counting, with some previous e-mail correspondence from the recruitment ladies telling me to expect a longer wait. I guess 6 months in the waiting list is typical for someone in my situation, or so I've heard.

Quite a number of airlines have cadetships, but almost all are exclusively reserved for nationals of the company's home country. If my memory serves me right, only CX and EY have cadetships open to people of all nationalities.

Ronny1992
21st Mar 2010, 15:53
Nope, Etihad closed that offer to the world and its only for UAE nationals

"Etihad is an equal opportunities employer and encourages both male and female applicants to apply. Candidates should be UAE Nationals, between 18-30 years old, medically fit with a secondary school diploma or higher. "

Thats from their website. Cathay is the only one open to the world currently, hope that doesn't change.

aman_spf
21st Mar 2010, 16:21
anyone from singapore attending the first round on 22nd april?

Ronny1992
21st Mar 2010, 17:24
Hey I'm 17 Caribbean national currently in 1st yr of A'levels. I will be 18 by the time I finish the entire course. I was wondering if I should continue on to a degree or apply with my Advanced Level qualifications to get into CX CPP?

Giupi
22nd Mar 2010, 13:54
Hi everybody,
I've just applied for the Cadet Programme with Cx!I'm Italian but I'm now living in the UK.Does anybody know haow long does it take to have the 1st interview in these countries?

Thank you :}

happyguy99
23rd Mar 2010, 03:13
Hey folks, I'm still here and in line for the cadet program. I thought I might share the timeline I have experienced so far as this is one of the main topics on this forum.

I applied for the cadet pilot program on the 16th June 2009. I received an automated email the same day saying that I "will be notified of the application outcome in 8 weeks." On the application I stated my preferred stage 1 location to be at home, 2nd preference Hong Kong.

I patiently waited 8 weeks and at the end of week 9 I emailed the recruitment team requesting the status of my application. I received a reply the same day stating "your application has already been received. Your application will be considered along with all other eligible applicants in your geographic area when we next select for interviews."

On 6th November 2009, 20 weeks and 3 days after my application, I received an email with an invitation for the 6th December 2009, 24 weeks and 5 days after application, stating "We wish to invite you to attend an initial Interview. The interview comprises a forty-five minute technical multiple-choice questionnaire, a reasoning test and an interview of approximately forty-five minute in duration with both personal and technical questions."

Naturally I accepted the invitation and received a further email with a medical questionnaire and job knowledge information booklet. The outcome of my 1st stage interview was made known to me on 1 January 2010, 28 weeks and 4 days after application.

On the 2nd January 2010 I received an email, following a prior phone call, which said "we hereby invite you to attend a Stage 2 and, if successful, a Stage 3 Cadet Pilot Programme Interview in Hong Kong on 16 to 17 January 2010," 30 weeks and 5 days after my application.

On 22nd January 2010, 31 weeks and 1 day after my application, I received a phone call stating, I was successful in stage 3, and inviting me to stage 4. I was told that since I have some flight experience I may be able to participate in a shortened course of which they still need to finalise with Flight Training Adelaide. They said I would hear from them again in approx one month.

I have heard from the recruitment team since. Last week they went to Adelaide to finalise, as is my understanding, whether or not they will be running a short course. I am expecting to find out at the end of this week. I asked, if I'm successful in Stage 4, when the course might start. I was told that at this time Cathay Pacific is over staffed with pilots and Cathay Pacific does its best to time the course start and finish date to coincide with when 2nd officer positions become available. At this time they think it may be around August this year. This was consistent with the information I received in the briefing at the end of stage 2, where we were told that there may be a stand down period between finishing the course and beginning work with Cathay Pacific. It makes sense economically, no point in training cadets and then not being able to put them to use.

This is all I can say with regards to my interview time-line for now, I'm happy to answer any questions. My advise to cadet wannabies is this, use the time you have between applying and your interviews wisely. I found the interviews with HR and management pilots enjoyable - probably because I was well prepared, they hardly asked a question that challenged me - in fact in this aspect I feel disappointed, however, pleased I was able to answer them admirably. The aptitude testing etc is difficult - find ways to practice your maths and improve your hand-eye coordination.

Time line

16 June 2009 - initial application
6 November 2009 - stage 1 invitation
6 December 2009 - stage 1 interview
1 January 2010 - stage 2 invitation
16/17 January 2010 - stage 2 and stage 3 interviews
22 January 2010 - information of success in stage 3 and expectation for stage 4
23 Fabuary 2010 - phone call asking me to give them another week
2 March 2010 - phone call - negotiations with FTA for short course starting following week, next contact 16 March 2010.

miss_pilot
23rd Mar 2010, 05:34
congrats happyguy! do you mind me asking what experience you have?

Bizzle284
23rd Mar 2010, 06:01
That's great news. I'm glad things are going so well for you. Wow 30weeks. Thats a long time. I have the same question as well if you dont mind. What experience do you have? I have a CPL with 250 hrs and I'm curious/nervous what kind of questions they will ask at that level. Also the stage 1a interviews (aptitude and reasoning tests), what are they like? What is a reasoning test? What is the best way to prepare for these tests?

As for the interviews a 45 minute interview is longer than any interview I've been a part of. haha. Wow. My friend tells me they ask some questions about Hong Kong and the area. Is there anything special we should know?

Last question (I promise) - I saw in the email we would have to give a 5 minute presentation on a topic. What exactly is that like and who are we presenting this to?

Good luck to you. You've made it this far so I'm sure your in :ok:

Phili-T
23rd Mar 2010, 13:02
Outstanding happyguy99. How did you prepare for stage 2 and 3? Did they fly you there and pay for everything? What was in stage 4?

forssi
23rd Mar 2010, 13:22
Phili-T, did you hear anything about your CX interview?

Chrisbowe82
23rd Mar 2010, 13:55
How long is everybody waiting for interviews right now? I Applied on the 7th September but I haven't heard anything yet and I know people have applied after me in the UK and had their UK interviews already, which got me down a bit...
When i tried to log on, to check the status of my application I had a message to say my it was being processed/considered, but I'm wondering if I should email them before the next UK round of interviews comes up. Good idea, or would it look like I'm bothering them? I can only imagine the thousands of applications they're dealing with at the moment...

rahulpereira
23rd Mar 2010, 18:19
Hey Chris,
I would definitely suggest you to write them an email asking them about the status of your application as it has been sometime since you applied. You would be correct in saying that your bothering them if you send them mails repeatedly but in your case go ahead and shoot them one.

I applied 1st week of dec. and so decided to send them an email 2 weeks back. I got their standard email saying they have received my application and they will send me an invitation according to my geographical area. Sending them an email from time to time will also give them an impression that you are really waiting for it, at the same time I would say don't trouble them also. Hope you get a date soon .

Regards,
Rahul Pereira

0lancer0
23rd Mar 2010, 19:08
Hi guys!
After months of waiting I have finally got an interview! (Stage 1) I applied back in August 2009 and just got an email back today saying that they want me to goto Hong Kong because they don't know when the next time will be when they will conduct interviews in my geographical location.(Canada) Will anyone be joining me April 8-16th? Thanks to everyone who has supported me and helped me on this forum. I will do my best to help the rest during my process as well.

AgentJackBauer
23rd Mar 2010, 20:15
Happyguy99,

Could you please flick me a PM? I'm in the same boat as you, would be good to keep in touch.

AgentJack

flying_hamster
24th Mar 2010, 04:47
Just read your post, and I too will be coming in from overseas to attend stage 1 in Hong Kong from 8th-16th April. It was a long wait indeed, but am hoping for the best from here on.

On a different note, I have gone through the JKI booklet which they have sent, and read on about their fleet, and a few of the destinations. I am getting a little nervy regarding the interview. Are there any other suggestions for further study for stage 1 interviews?

happyguy99
24th Mar 2010, 08:05
Hi, I don't mind sharing at all. At the time of my application I held a CPL, a grade 3 instructor rating. My total hours were 300.

happyguy99
24th Mar 2010, 08:30
Hi, a quick run-down of my flight experience:

At the time of my application I held a CPL, and a grade 3 instructor rating. My total hours were 300.

I was a little nervous about my interviews as well, it's quite normal and I'm sure they know that. The staff did their best to make me feel comfortable. After my interview I wrote down as many of the questions I could remember. Here are some of the questions I was asked in my stage one 45 min interview:

Human Resource Questions:

1) Describe yourself
2) Do I play any team sports?
3) Why change careers?
4) What do I do in my spare time?
5) What did I like about Hong Kong? (I told them I'd been there before)
6) What did I do in Hong Kong?
7) What do I know about the cadet program?
8) What do I know about the SO?
9) Do I know what the living conditions are like in Hong Kong?
10) Why work as an instructor?
11) What do my parents think of me being here at the interview?
12) What did my parents think when I decided to become a pilot?

Questions from Captain XXX:

1) What do I know about Cathay Pacific?
2) What fleet does Cathay Pacific operate?
3) Explain dutch roll?
4) How many nm in 1 deg of lat?
5) Explain how lift is generated?
6) Explain induced drag?
7) Explain how flaps work?

In my stage one interview I also did the multiple choice test based on the job knowledge information booklet - easy as. The reasoning test which I didn't know at the time is based on Raven's Advanced Progressive Matrices. You can look this up on Wikipedia. It is basically a sequence of pictures and you have to choose the correct one from a possible 8 choices. It's easy to start with but gets hard quickly. I had no way of studying for this as I hadn't heard of this book until I found it on this forum by accident - after my interview of course!

I didn't have to give a presentation in any of the interviews. People may be referring to the group presentation from Stage 2. In stage 2 you work with a group to solve a problem, then one person needs to present the group's findings to the interviewing staff who will then ask questions to the group such as how we came to our conclusion.

Hope you find this helpful.

happyguy99
24th Mar 2010, 09:00
Hi, I did quite a bit of work to prepare for stage 2 and 3:

- re-read the job knowledge information book they sent me for stage 1
- studied my notes for principles of flight and performance from my CPL
- read my CPL meteorology book again
- read a book called handling the big jets
- prepared a list of about 140 questions I thought they might ask and how I would like to answer them
- had simulated interviews each about 1 - 2 hours going over the above mentioned questions, every night for two weeks before my stage 2 interview
- studied Cathay Pacific's website - fleet, destinations, visions, history, etc
- studied Flight Training Adelaide's website
- looked at Hong Kong's immigration website
- read a few articles on Cathay Pacific from Australian Aviation
- on the plane to HK, studied using Studio CX, all info about Cathay and HK on their entertainment system
- practiced maths reasoning tests you can find all over the internet

Cathay Pacific did fly me to Hong Kong and put me up in the Headland Hotel which is next door to Cathay Pacific City. All at their expense. I was fiscally responsible for flying to a Cathay Serviced Airport and paying for my meals while in HK.

It seems to me that preparation is a key factor to stand out in the interviews. There was one guy in Hong Kong with us who wasn't invited to continue with stage 3. After talking to him it seemed to me he hadn't really prepared himself, as though he could just wing it. He said one of the questions asked of him was how would he deal with a situation where his girlfriend/partner wanted to leave HK. He simply replied that he would ditch her. I don't know how this went down with his interviewers; treating people in such a way doesn't seem an admirable quality to me.

I am still in line for the final stage 4 interviews. They are currently sorting out whether or not they are able to offer a short course since I have a couple hundred flying hours. They haven't yet invited me for stage 4 but have told me I was successful in stage 3 and I will hear from them soon.

Happyguy

forssi
24th Mar 2010, 09:28
happyguy99, congratulations.

May i ask how old you are? I've got similar qualifications as you but i think i didn't prepare as well as you did.

flying_hamster
24th Mar 2010, 09:29
@Happyguy99:

Thank you very much for your post. It was quite informative, and down to the point. I do feel a little more confident about attending the interviews, knowing roughly what to expect.
I do not have any previous flying experience, so I am assuming some of the more technical questions may not be asked, but as you said, its best to be prepared for those. I appreciate the time you took, and as long as the post may be, I am full of gratitude for the same :)

All the very best to you for stage 4. :ok:

captain reality
24th Mar 2010, 12:48
@ HappyGuy

Really? Plenty of Cathay pilots have ditched girlfriends for reasons worse than work.

I'd suggest arrogance isn't a particularly desirable characteristic either. By the way, I think you'll find that a lot of current cadets have more experience than you. Perhaps best not to wait for the short course...

At the end of the day, it's all about who you can stand sitting next to for 12 hours in the cockpit. Good luck with Stage 4 - seems to be more and more people getting cut at FG lately.

happyguy99
24th Mar 2010, 20:20
Hi, in my third stage interview one of the Captains asked me if I would be interested in the possibility of attending a short course. I replied that I was quite happy do do either. I don't have the feeling that the decision is up to me, I think they will decide what is best for the company - that is assuming I get through stage 4 as you mentioned. I'm not sure how I can prepare for stage 4. Any suggestions? Thanks for your encouragement all-the-same.

holdmetight
24th Mar 2010, 22:51
I'm not sure how I can prepare for stage 4. Any suggestions?

Take a look at another thread, "Advanced Flight Grading". Hope it gives you an idea of what to expect. Try your best and don't panic, while it is true that more and more people are failing FG, I'd say it is simply because there are more applicants nowadays than before. As long as you can show them your learning ability, you should be fine. Good luck!

flyremnant
25th Mar 2010, 05:01
hey anybody from florida or atleast in the US.
are they having any interviews in the states? or is it canada??

any advices for a new guy like me for this program?

happyguy99
25th Mar 2010, 07:33
Hey, thanks for your pointers and regards. I will hire an aircraft just to go over the basics again myself. Nothing like a little refresher course before the exam.

Thank you.

&&&
25th Mar 2010, 09:09
I hope you potential cadets have a handle on 2 important things.
1/ the cost of living in Hong Kong
2/ The very poor level of pay you will recieve.

Keep in mind that if you come from a civilized country you cannot find accomodation that is in any way comparable to what you have at home even with the the $80,000 per month captain level rental allowance, let alone the $50,000 home purchase allowance. A single person can rent a 500' sq foot appartment in a mass residential area for about $25000 per month. Given that your pay is about that much you are going to be living in poverty,literally.

If you think you are going to get home on a base, forget it, there are NO base slots at all for 90+% of ports. Guys with 20 years seniority cannot get on bases even in the country they want, let alone the city.

If you are from the 3rd world or asia you will find it barely acceptable.
If you have not been in HK before I STRONGLY sugest you find a way to understand how poor you will be. You will have NO money at the end of the month if you are single.
As for a married person, particularly with kids, forget it. I am a senior FO will the proper housing allowance and I have nothing left at the end of the month with the cost of living here. ( I have 1 crap car, no "toys" and no other expenses.)

I strongly sugest you do your own research into what you are going to get yourself into here on local terms. The reason why this scheme exists is that out of 7 million people in Hong Kong they cannot find people who will do the job for the money, even if training is paid. Most LEP's have family here and they give them somewhere to stay.

I sugest you stay at home, have a good life amongst your family, and dont be fooled by Cathay's lies. They have an appalling reputation for staff relations and honesty and things will only get worse.

Giupi
25th Mar 2010, 15:37
Can anyone tell me...if you have 0 flying hours do they normally ask you echnical questions as well doring the interviews?

Thanks

Phili-T
25th Mar 2010, 15:50
hey guys

happyguy99 you are outstanding. thanx so much for the info. I'm based in South Africa and i got the call to Stage 2&3 :}. I'm so so so happy. forssi I will represent us Africans to the max

Ronny1992
25th Mar 2010, 16:49
Phili-T what qualifications you going in with?

And I would do my research into what "&&&" was saying.

Ronny1992
25th Mar 2010, 18:30
I was looking at apartment prices and it did go as high as 25000HK for a 500sq if you wanted there were like some from 12000HK to 16000HK and with an average monthly cost of living bill of about 7000HK. It didn't seem bad if the salary I saw on the internet for Cathay pacific first officers and second officers and maybe with a captain salary like that i'm sure its not poverty.

However the living conditions are real cramped but I guess its adpating to new lifestyle and taking new challenges.:ok:

Correct me if my estimates are far fetched.

0lancer0
25th Mar 2010, 21:25
Me too! I will be arriving on the 7th! Hope im not too jet lagged! Your nervy? I only have 2 weeks to prepare haha so don't worry you will do great! I had a job interview today and I have an exam tomorrow so I can't prepare until the weekend. I will let you know if I find anything helpful once I start! Let's make it to FTA!

forssi
26th Mar 2010, 06:22
Congratulations!!!

Make us South Africans proud!!

airplaneridesrfun
26th Mar 2010, 07:17
don't forget to ask about benefits when you are at your interview. Specifically, health insurance benefits. Ask them what they will not cover - you might be surprised to hear that if you are based in HK, you will have the worst benefits of any airline in the world.... but they try not to mention this while dazzling you with the other stuff. Travel benefits are terrible, if you can get on an aeroplane. etc.... kind of important things to know before you join an airline for a long time.

CXmonkey
26th Mar 2010, 16:21
OK guys I can see you are all as keen as beans, and honestly I was too a few years ago when I applied to CX for DESO. Now that I have been in here for a few years you start to see what has been going on for years and years and that is the gradual and deliberate reduction of terms and conditions.

Of course everyone knows about the greedy old A-scalers and their millions of dollars a year in salary, right? Well those guys weren't really paid as much as it turns out and now they haven't seen a payrise in 15 years (not payscale rise but actual dollars in the hand rise) and most have now been coerced into signing to the current contract with other loss of Ts and Cs. Many moons ago there was something called a 'travel allowance' based on the cost to fly you and your family home for a holiday each year - in first class - which sounds great, right? Then one day, new joiners magically didn't get it and the ones who were getting it had nothing to complain about, right? Until there were more guys not getting it than were so now the company has been able to phase it out completely...

Move to 2010 and the company has seen an opportunity to employ expats but not pay them any expat benefits... One day they will be phased out too I guess.

Now I see in HappyGuy99's post about his interview the same pattern. When I was interviewed for DESO, my wife was also allowed to come with me and they paid us a 'per diem' to cover the cost of food etc. This has evidently been taken away as you didn't know it was ever paid...

As a Cadet SO, will you be getting health cover? For you and your wife and your future children? Cadets have always had right of abode so no need for paid health cover. Have you really looked into the real cost of living in HK? &&&'s post covers it pretty well but I think his rent estimates are actually on the high side. Even so, a married couple will STRUGGLE to make ends meet let alone 'live the life of an airline pilot'. As for children, I would forget that notion for many, many years to come unless you have rich parents. I can speak with personal experience that HK is one of the most expensive places in the world to raise children.

As for all you future Cadet hopefuls, just wait until they start charging you a fee for the interview, or more likely, charging for the training course itself...

Now some of you think that this probably seems a bit cynical but far from it. This is the world of the airline business where you are a work/cost unit where reducing the cost side is the name of the game. They are using our enthusiasm for flying as the tool to undermine what once might have been a really great profession. Expect to find the deal gradually getting worse and worse over the years to come as Air China take a greater role in running things. Don't expect to get rich or even recoup the costs of getting set up here for a great deal of time. HappyGuy99 - I hope you and your wife are ready for what you are going to drag her through and good luck.

S.J
26th Mar 2010, 21:54
hey guys congrats to the ppl who got accepted, really nice to hear that, guys i have a questions here, has anybody with no flying experiance ever got accepted ?

To "&&&" dont u think it is still really good to fly for cathay rather than flying a single engine for a charter company ? am not taking their side am juss asking, btw they refused me 2 weeks ago :( but i wanna reapply i have ma cpl and passed all ma ATPL subjects, and juss for the guys who r going for the interview they asked me questions like :

How much thrust a 747 produces ? i was like mmmm too much i guess :S how do they expect me to know? i have never flown a 747

How many fuel tanks a 747 has ?

and couple of more questions about 747 that i cant remember now.

and happy guy99 thanks alot for the info

danielthemc
26th Mar 2010, 22:25
hey flyremnant, im from daytona beach.. havent heard from them. they might and might have yet to conduct the interview yet but so far there is no news about it.

chris165
27th Mar 2010, 10:36
Hi There,
can someone tell me what kind of documents are needed for the application? i.g. do I need some translated copies of my references or do i need them in a later stage? THX

Phili-T
27th Mar 2010, 12:32
Hey forssi. i am originally from Zim but been aound to other countries so I'm representing for Southern Africa. Any other news on guys who are going from the motherland?

@Ronny1992, I have about 540hours and I'm a grade 3 instructor in South Africa. I think that's quite a bit and thought that that would work against me. Turns out it didn' t. Seems like have exp or no exp matters none with them. It's the attitude that you have and how you come across I believe. Whether they accept you is not a thing about your ability but maybe you're just not what they are looking for right now. If they do take you then you have checked a box they needed filled.

flyremnant
28th Mar 2010, 18:46
hey danielthemc.

i'm also in daytona beach.
studying at embry riddle...

when did you apply and how much have you flown??

Bizzle284
29th Mar 2010, 03:14
Wow. Good to see some other people from ERAU. I went there too. I'm currently doing my Masters Online. Good luck to everyone.

airplaneridesrfun
29th Mar 2010, 05:45
whats the point of a masters degree in aviation from ERAU? Is ERAU even accredited?

Phili-T
29th Mar 2010, 06:40
@CXmonkey

You're not the first to say this to me and I now see that it is a real flaw in this program. As a young single guy, the words "children school fees and housing benefits" don't really apply to me as I can sleep pretty much anywhere and i have no kids. But there will come a time when I would like to do the whole family thing. This is where the problem lies. CX is not a part time company where I can gain exp and then move on to something bigger. Shoot; this is as big as it gets. I reckon they would want me to stay the distance past my sell by date, so the decision cannot be made without considering all the permutations.

I understand where you are coming from and your concern to our careers is much appreciated. I would rather enter as a DESO or even better a DEFO but that may not happen anytime soon as we are, as you say, seen as an asset (or liability) with which they can save money where they can. So why would they take a DESO when they can take a cadet and pay him/her less?

Yes, it is better to gain exp from charter flying and smaller jets and the like, but the market is extremely stagnant at the moment especially on the lower end of the food chain. Piston twins are on the endangered list so acquiring twin time is not as easy as it used to be. They won't let you come anywhere near a Kingair or other twin turbo prop without at least 50hours on type. The pilot's who are in the Kingair's are not moving as they don't have their ATPL's so smaller airlines won't take them creating a bottle neck in the system affecting those who have just received their CPL. then with the recession, many companies rethought the hiring process and are playing it very safe by keeping who they need and shedding the excess. Several charter companies here have not hired a pilot in two years, but have doubled their fleet and stretch their current work force as far as they can.

In an ideal world, the path would be to climb the ladder rung by rung until we are LH seat of a B747. But the world is far from ideal and an opportunity like this is golden. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

If we consider both sides of the story, we see that this program is "OK" (for lack of a better term) for young pilots and not so great for the older pilots. The family life is crucial to the older pilot and not so much the younger.

From a young pilot who has just broken the 500 hour mark with no family, what would you recommend?

Octopus88
29th Mar 2010, 13:04
Hey Guys,

I'm planning on attending my initial interview for the CPP and was wondering (happyguy99 especially) if anybody would know where you can buy material which relates to the reasoning test. 'Raven's manual of progressive matrices' is the name i believe...and i can't find it for sale anywhere...?

Ronny1992
29th Mar 2010, 18:18
Has the aircraft that Second officers work on changed? because I saw on their website the operate on B747, a340-300 and a340-600 since they no long have the a340-600 and a expanding fleet of B777 that does long haul, Second officers are present on them?

Bizzle284
30th Mar 2010, 06:14
haha. Yes ERAU is accredited...and a very well known school. Furthermore they offer many masters degrees as well as a few PHD's. My degree is actually in Aerospace Business Management and Education. A degree that goes a little further than a masters in business. I did it because I wanted to further my education ....and because it helps defer the loans a little while I work to get a better job to pay them off. (More for the first reason than the second, but its still a plus)

Bizzle284
30th Mar 2010, 06:18
Well put. I have heard the same thing as well, but have also heard the good from current cadet pilots who actually love their job right. And every company has pros and cons. For a younger pilot, the pros do outweigh the cons and hopefully by the time you are seriously considering a family, you would have upgraded by then. (Yes this may be a dream)

happyguy99
30th Mar 2010, 06:44
Hey

Not sure where you can get Ravens Advanced Progressive Matrices. I looked in the public library and online with no joy. I have heard (probably on this forum) it's quite expensive, US$400 if I remember correctly. It's not worth buying to memorize the answers. If they have rearranged the problems for the test you're screwed.

As I recall it is broken into two sections, the first is 12 problems and the second 36. You're told to spend only 5 mins on the first set and come back to it if you complete set two and have time to spare.

I'm no mensa candidate and would say of average intelligence, I completed 5 of the 12 in set one before moving on to set two. I can't remember how many problems I completed in set two before running out of time. It was obviously enough to continue with the interview process.

Mr Hankey
30th Mar 2010, 08:46
Just to add another voice to this. The comment by someone here that an apartment would cost $16000 p/m and a cost of living per month is $7000 is simply way off mark. $16000 per month gets what you would describe as slum like living conditions in Hong Kong. Look at the prices in Discovery Bay, the Mid Levels and the like. Trust me you will not want to live in places where you can pay $16000P/M.
As for $7000 living expenses. Try doubling it for subsistence living. If you want to move to one of the most expensive and crowded cities in the world and live a 3rd world lifestyle then go ahead.
It is not worth the money for the job. To answer someone before I think it would be far preferable to stay at home and fly a twin in charter and work towards a Low Cost Operator than to fly for CX for less than a subsistence wage and hope you will get an FO slot in 6 years and a command in 15-20 years. Really, there are better jobs.
I hate to be discouraging but you need to face the facts.
You are being considered because local people don't want the job, and you are cheap labor. You are also undermining the conditions of your fellow pilots, think about what that means.
Read the Fragrant Harbour Forum, to see, for example, how pissed the SO's are, after only a few years. And they actually GET a hosing allowance.

flyremnant
30th Mar 2010, 10:04
hey bizzle,

did you hear anything from CX for this program?
How much have you flown? and did you graduate with AS or aeronautics??

danielthemc
30th Mar 2010, 14:21
Hey flyremnant,

Guess what I'm in currently in ERAU too! :ok: But one of my friend here who applied last year has got called. He did not choose US as the first choice though.

I'm in Aersospace Engineering instead of Aeronautical Science so I don't have any flight time.

And it seems like we have a few from Embry Riddle here :ok::ok:

CXmonkey
30th Mar 2010, 16:36
@Philli-T

I take your point that when you're looking ahead at the 'opportunities' in front of you, the CX one seems pretty appealing and compared to GA level jobs it does seem so. For a young single guy burning with enthusiasm, CX would still be a good choice IF - and I repeat - IF you are prepared to use CX in the same way they would be using you.

What I mean is to get ahead by taking their training, taking their long-haul glass cockpit experience, taking their mediocre salary, taking their widebody type ratings, have a good time shagging the Wan Chai bargirls, and then find a better job at another airline nearer to your home that is in the mood to headhunt your new skills and experience. I don't know what 'bond ' or 'return of service' is being touted by them but CX didn't care much about the one I had with my previous employer when they wanted me so why should you worry about their's?

This plan however does require a commitment of some many years in Hong Kong and it will be tempting to stay for the carrots that have been placed further down the career path (and the bargirls). The only way that the company will learn whether their package stacks up is if guys (or girls) like you vote with their feet after they have had to outlay for all your training.

Don't make the mistake however, of thinking that CX will be a good long-term, one airline for life 'career' choice. You will be best served by continuing to keep your eyes and ears open for other, better opportunities as you start down the CX road.

CXmonkey

flyremnant
30th Mar 2010, 17:51
danielthemc!

check your pm!

SloppyJoe
30th Mar 2010, 18:21
SO's fly on all aircraft types, 747 including freighters occasionally, A340, A330 and 777 but I expect not on 777-300's or 200's just the 300ER but could be wrong as am not on the 777.

airplaneridesrfun
30th Mar 2010, 19:26
Bizzle284

If you are getting a MBA in aviation, then you should know better than to even consider CX. My advice to you is to take any credits any other school will accept, and diversify out of aviation.

Sloppyjoe is right. SO's get to fly on these big airplanes.... but not fly them. If you love flying, don't come to CX.... go fly freight in a Baron, or charters in a King Air. It will definitely afford you a better lifestyle than CX.

holdmetight
31st Mar 2010, 01:34
I think S/Os on the B777 also operate -200 and -300 variants, when they fly to places like RUH and BAH.

DLDE
31st Mar 2010, 04:36
BAH/RUH switched to A330's around August 2009, so 777 SO's currently only fly the -300ER's. Just under 100 SO's on the 777 now with the latest cadet arrivals :cool:

auto--pilot
31st Mar 2010, 05:01
SO's are operating on the 330 as well? I thought just the 747/777-300ER/340.

From my research I have that there are SO's on all flights to Europe, Johannesburg, and North America. What about Australia and Middle East?

holdmetight
31st Mar 2010, 05:46
You need SOs' on any flight with 8 hours block time or more. For Australian routes, that would mean HKG - BNE/SYD/MEL/ADL require SOs' but PER and CNS do not. I'm not equally sure about the Middle Eastern routes, but it looks as if SOs' are deployed on all routes (DXB, RUH, BAH, JED). Hope this helps.

Ronny1992
31st Mar 2010, 06:15
Cool so they give you a type rating? because I'm not sure if I'm getting it right seems like SO's fly one type on day and then another the next?:confused:

airplaneridesrfun
31st Mar 2010, 06:23
You fly one type or the other. A330/A340 is common type. All 777's are common, and all 747's are common.

Bizzle284
31st Mar 2010, 06:26
Hey Flyremnant. I am actually leaving for Hong Kong this Saturday. Yea I did part of my flight training at riddle and the other part back home in Mass. At this point I have 253 hrs. I graduated AS, but you see how that is in the US. LOL

cheers:ok:

Octopus88
31st Mar 2010, 12:52
Thanks happyguy99...you're a credit to many of us newbys. Just in regards to the reasoning test, are all of the 45 or so questions based on the pictorial style, or is general aritmatic included too? Thanks again.

flyremnant
31st Mar 2010, 15:44
Hey!

check your pm bizzle284!

thnx!

JF1980
31st Mar 2010, 16:53
Previous comments on rental costs seem way off. There seem to be plenty of places available for $6000-7000 PCM.

Hong Kong Rental Apartments | Villas | Village Houses | Property Lease (http://www.expatflats.com/hong-kong-apartment-rentals.html)

HK is a crowded place and you can't realistically expect to be living in the centre of town on a SO paycheck can you?

Ronny1992
31st Mar 2010, 17:59
I'm seeing places around 15000HK per month in and u have a 1st yr SO salary roughly 30000HK, it a sacrifice from the western style life you have to a fairly OK apartment, and eventually there is an increase in salary.

danielthemc
31st Mar 2010, 19:33
"Within Cathay Pacific, the Second Officer is considered an integral part of the flight crew with specific responsibilities. The primary functions of the Second Officer are to act as a cruise relief pilot, to monitor all facets of the operation and to support the crew. Second Officers operate on Cathay Pacific's fleet of Boeing 747-400 and Airbus A340-300 and A340-600 aircraft, operating worldwide on longhaul routes. "

This is what seen in CX's website

Ronny1992
31st Mar 2010, 20:41
its outdated as you should realize the 777-300ER fleet is well established and they no longer have a340-600s

airplaneridesrfun
31st Mar 2010, 23:28
Previous comments on rental costs seem way off. There seem to be plenty of places available for $6000-7000 PCM.

Hong Kong Rental Apartments | Villas | Village Houses | Property Lease (http://www.expatflats.com/hong-kong-apartment-rentals.html)

HK is a crowded place and you can't realistically expect to be living in the centre of town on a SO paycheck can you?

ummm...... why would you not expect to live in town? This is life, and for an expat - this life sucks unless you live in a half way decent place. Why give your life to Cathay for the measly salary they are going to give you. You are not going to get to fly airplanes either. So, basically, you are selling your soul for nothing. 6000 gets you a shared room with a helper maybe, but that is it. You can live in a cardboard box on the beach. You can live in 400 sq feet 2 hours from the airport, or you can maybe get a hole in the wall with a lot of noise, in a bad area of town.

Sue Ridgepipe
1st Apr 2010, 00:31
$7000-$8000 per month will get you a 2 (very small) bedroom apartment in a modern complex in Tung Chung right near the airport. You may be able to get a village house for less than that but I would be very surpised if it would suit your living style.

holdmetight
1st Apr 2010, 02:48
If you don't have a wife or young family to bring over, the $35k first-year S/O salary will definitely not plunge you into poverty - though you cannot expect to live the life of a high-roller either. Sure, you will probably end up blowing your entire paycheck for the first 1-2 years, but things will get better as you make your way up the company ladder. You can rent a decent place for around $10k in the New Territories, and food can be cheap depending on whether you know where to look.

Undoubtedly you won't be living a lifestyle remotely close to what you are used to at home. I guess it all depends on what you want - to pass over a golden opportunity to stay in your own comfort zone, or do some adventuring and adapting so you can build a future career? Go figure.

airplaneridesrfun
1st Apr 2010, 02:55
The best idea I have heard on here is to come to CX, take their paid training course, finish it, and then leave. Nothing wrong with that. If they are not willing to pay you a half way decent wage, you should have no reason to stay at the airline. In that respect, it is a good deal. If you plan on staying at CX, then it really is not a good deal.

Ronny1992
1st Apr 2010, 04:11
I see no problem with, staying at CX after 7years contract is up, you would advance with your salary and career. There might be problems leaving the airline to find another job that may have more problems than CX. I guess if you're looking to make a million dollars flying then you can go searching but never make it. The closest I see a pilot making that million (or close) is if he/she sticks with one airline and gains seniority.

flying_hamster
1st Apr 2010, 05:42
Ok, so I am attending the interviews as an overseas candidate on the 8th. There was a post earlier where the headland hotel was recommended to stay in. However, I tried to make a reservation, and they claimed I was not a cathay employee yet, so cannot stay there. They suggested I ask the cadet pilot team to make a reservation on my behalf, and then I can pay for it myself on checking in. The cadet pilot team does not make reservations on anybody's behalf.

Any one else have any suggestions for a place to stay in that is close to Cathay City, and within reasonable budget? Or any way I can still make a reservation and stay at the headland?

airplaneridesrfun
1st Apr 2010, 06:00
7 year contract? That would only be valid if CX fulfilled their side too, which is highly unlikely. Assuming they don't piss you off to the point of leaving in your first year, you can break your contract with 3 months notice, which is a lot more notice than many places in the world. You are not allowed to be bonded for any period of time in Hong Kong - don't let the management weenies (Ronnie1992) on here fool you. He is right though, management never wants you to make a million dollars, so why would you want to be a pilot!!! You are just a factor of production here - don't do it!

AsL402
1st Apr 2010, 06:22
I have a question for those who are giving advice for us to not join the CPP...

Are you currently working for CX? If you are, why are you still working for them if you oppose how they treat you? If you think that the living conditions in HK is so bad with the limited income, why don't you find something that suits your lifestyle more?

holdmetight
1st Apr 2010, 07:02
flying_hamster,

You aren't going to find any budget accomodation near Cathay City, if they won't let you stay in the Headland. If you're on a tight financial leash, I can suggest you look at some hostels in Kowloon. Here is one, check it out:

Hong Kong Guesthouse accommodation - Man Hing Lung Guest House, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong (http://www.manhinglung-hotel.com/)

You will spend quite a bit of money and time commuting between the airport and the hotel, but I think this is one of the most reasonable deals you can get for your buck. Unless you are willing to try Chungking Mansion, that is.

Good luck!

airplaneridesrfun
1st Apr 2010, 07:44
asl402

We are warning that the current conditions are hardly acceptable for current expat SO's, especially considering the deplorable recruitment of less qualified FO's in front of them. If you take away housing assistance for new SO's, we are doing our civic duty and moral duty to inform those that may want to join this company that their lifestyle will be crap, and to consider the consequences of using their own resources to try to get into CX. Once here, they are going to have a hard time living, and nobody wants that for anybody else. do you?

JF1980
1st Apr 2010, 08:25
If you join CX, have them train you and then walk out before the 7 year contract is up then I think other airlines would avoid you like the plague - as they should.

No company is perfect, they are run for profit not for the benefit of individual employees. These days cost cutting is a must and a reality that needs to be faced whatever sector you work in. If CX are willing to take you on and spend 18 months training you then I think you should be willing to stick to your side of the bargain too. I'd jump at the chance but think I'm probably too old to be considered now.

airplaneridesrfun
1st Apr 2010, 09:54
JF1980

I'd like to hear more about this 7 year contract. It is not allowed in Hong Kong to be bonded to a company, in this case a 7 year 'contract'. It may be a 7 year contract, but that does not prohibit you from leaving. Other airlines would not avoid you like the plague because of a 7 year contract, but would avoid you because you were not intelligent enough to work for a live-able wage flying big airplanes. I am confident the 7 year contract has a termination clause of 3 months in it, otherwise it would cause a big raucous among many entities within HK. Please enlighten me though, who is saying there is a 7 year contract at CX???

You are not too old..... at cx you can go to 65, as long as you can stay fit and alive.

JF1980
1st Apr 2010, 11:01
I couldn't find any mention of contract length on the CX website, so basing this on what has been said earlier in the thread. The more suspicious part of me can't help but think that some of those advising people not to take up this opportunity are likely trying to thin out the competition if they are themselves applying.

Would a company like CX really consider taking on someone approaching 30 with no flying hours (I fly gliders actually but no powered experience other than an hours trial lesson)? I've wanted to fly since leaving school but the opportunity never came up, I had to get a 'normal' job and got stuck in the daily grind. Last year I found the time to start regularly flying gliders and it's really re-ignited my desire to fly. I actually think I would be a much stronger candidate now than I would have been at 18 as I'm much more mature, experienced and focused.

holdmetight
1st Apr 2010, 11:18
In Hong Kong it is illegal for companies to use bonds to tie down employees for any amount of time. As far as I know, when you join as a cadet you sign a training contract, and before you join CX you sign a "Conditions of Service". I'm not quite sure about the exact contents/ramifications of these documents, but I don't think they legally bind you to CX for any specific timeframe. Therefore you are free to go when you please. Perhaps someone actually in the company could fill us in on these details.

Being 30 is fine, I have seen cadets who are older than that. If you can prove to them you are just as passionate and suited to a flying career as all the younger guys, you can make the cut.

AsL402
1st Apr 2010, 19:15
airplaneridesrfun,

I see where you are coming from. I guess I didn't see the housing compensation as a problem for me since I would probably be considered as a Local due to that I have a HKID.

Being a program originally designed for Locals, the starting salary of $35k/month as a SO is actually pretty good pay comparing to other jobs out there in HK. So I don't think Cathay really mistreat their employees.

However, I totally agree with you that this pay is not sufficient for Expats. Housing is way too expensive, and you probably have to settle somewhere much smaller than what you are used to. You probably can't afford a nice car as well since the tax, registration and parking is just as expensive (a parking spot can cost more than your car). Along with all that, you have to get used to a new environment away from your home/friends/family with a limited disposable income.

So I'm guessing you really have to considered if you can take some hardships for the first few years. If your passion for flying is more than anything else, then this program is certainly a go for you.

airplaneridesrfun
1st Apr 2010, 22:52
With all due respect asl42, if anybody has a passion for flying airplanes, they will do it somewhere else. The new SO's will be spending 5 years as SO, and will not be flying anything but a simulator! There is effectively no bypass pay in the conditions of service, so if anybody is hired in a higher rank than you then you are not entitled to bypass pay. If you ever want to get back to your home country, you might not get the chance for 7 to 9 years! I'm going to have to just go ahead and disagree with you; If you are a local, the pay for SO is absurd compared to other professional positions!

If you want to come to Cathay; do it. But do so as a manager. They make the big bucks, and still get to fly on airplanes. Go get a law degree, and an MBA and you are set and will be better off.

AsL402
2nd Apr 2010, 03:31
airplaneridesrfun,

Thank you for the advice. I think you have a point, but I will give the program a try. Who knows if i will even pass Stage 1. At least i have a clearer expectation of how this possible career will be.

holdmetight
2nd Apr 2010, 04:54
In actual fact, the CX cadetship has remained very local-oriented, despite the fact that it was opened to a global audience nearly a year ago. Many expat cadets will be new to HKG after finishing their training, but they will not get the financial perks that DE pilots were entitled to. So obviously if you are an expat looking at the CPP, then take a close look at what you are getting yourself into - as I mentioned earlier while it is possible to get by on the SO paycheck, your life won't remotely resemble your original one back home. It all depends on whether this is the right thing for you or not. Most expats applying for the CPP have a choice between staying at home and forging a career there, or moving to HKG and trying out with CX. You have a choice there, so pick wisely.

As for locals, I would say everything more or less stays the same. For local youngsters, the CXCPP remains as the only viable pathway towards commercial flying, as it has been for the past decade. No matter how much you want to do some real flying (as opposed to sitting in the back), it is something that locals must accept because that's how the game is played. If you don't have the option of choosing another airline that pays you more or treats you better, then naturally you would not think CX is such a bad idea... especially when you have the opportunity to fulfill your career aspiration. What's more, the SO pay is more than enough for a LEP to get by in HKG. You may be paid significantly less than what other professionals get in their line of work, but then again people with a passion for aviation are normally willing to take job satisfaction as a form of renumeration too. I certainly could live with that.

Caveat Emptor.

aocrew
2nd Apr 2010, 05:06
Hi Happyguy,

Has cathay get back to you regarding your flight grading ( stage 4) ??what about the short course?has it been approve by HKCAD and if so how long and what must we do in the 6 months to convert to a HK CPL??

flyhiigh
2nd Apr 2010, 14:25
Hi guys!

Does anyone know how many CX invites to stage1. I mean, should you be considered lucky if your invited to the stage1 interview?

And how many days does it take for CX to come back to you with a result after stage1? 1 week, 2 weeks??

Thanks
& Good luck! :)

AsL402
2nd Apr 2010, 16:23
Well said holdmetight!

pokemon3
3rd Apr 2010, 13:23
Hi,

Anyone of u going for the Cathay cadet pilot interview in KL this month ? Please PM me.we can share the info..Thanks and all the best.

pokemon3
3rd Apr 2010, 13:28
Hi,

Anyone going for the Cathay cadet pilot interview in KL this month ?
Please PM me,we can share and exchange info.Thanks!

holdmetight
5th Apr 2010, 10:08
The Aussie equivalent to A-levels is the HSC if you are from NSW, SACE if you are from SA, VCE if you are from VIC etc.

happyguy99
6th Apr 2010, 02:00
Hi JF190

I think you are more likely to be selected than you think. To be eligible for the cadet program you need to be able to speak english and want to fly.

I had my first, second, and third stage interviews in my thirties. During the introductions at stage 2 we were told that Cathay Pacific had already made positive conclusions from our stage 1 interviews and that they have a Cadet Position for each of us so long as we met Cathay Pacific's standards during the rest of our testing and interviews.

I am now waiting for an invitation to the stage 4 flight grading in Adelaide.

So perhaps you should give it a go, and keep trying if at first you don't succeed.

happyguy99
6th Apr 2010, 02:15
Hi aocrew,

still no word yet. I last talked with them about 2 weeks ago and they told me that the schedule for the short course was not yet available. They said they would phone me back in April.

I had previously asked how long the short course would be and was told about 5 months. I would expect the actual time would depend on a persons experience as well as how long it takes them to get up to speed - we all know everyone is different and learns at different rates.

Should you have enough experience at the start of the short course, I think you could expect to study for the Hong Kong Tech and ATPL exams. From there you could probably expect to work on multi-engine IFR training followed by a flight test and then and jet transport simulator training.

vanucks
6th Apr 2010, 10:35
happyguy99, that was very encouraging.. a/b the act that they do consider cadets who are over 30 years of age. I"ve just past my 29th birthday and I had failed for the CX CCP twice already. My last try was 4 years ago. Do you know if they consider failed candidates? I must have done something really wrong as they don't seem to accept my application anymore through the internet.

holdmetight
6th Apr 2010, 11:04
Vanucks, they do look at people who are re-applying. I know someone who was accepted following his second attempt at the CX cadetship. In fact, I put my second application in about 3 months ago and I have yet to hear back, so I assume they are currently assessing me. I'm sure if they didn't take re-applicants I would have been rejected already.

they don't seem to accept my application anymore through the internet.

Care to elaborate?

vanucks
6th Apr 2010, 13:22
We regret to inform you that we are unable to process your application further. This decision is final. Thank you for your interest in Cathay Pacific Airways.

holdmetight
6th Apr 2010, 14:10
I don't know why they would say that. My advice would be to contact the recruitment personnel and ask them for some pointers. Perhaps that should clear things up and give you a better idea of what to do next.

Good luck!

mhhermanlo
7th Apr 2010, 09:27
hi happyguy99,

I hv a similar situation as you you do. I had stage 3 interview wif CX in late March n is waiting for their reply abt the schedule of flight grading. I wonder if you could pm me ur msn n we could update each other on the progress.

Cheers!

yicheung9
7th Apr 2010, 09:51
Hi mhhermanlo,

This is the guy who did flight planning with you.
Congratualtion on your flight grading:ok:

You should try to get more flight experience before going to fg and read thoroughly on "stone rice" blog. add oil man!

mhhermanlo
7th Apr 2010, 10:45
hey man!!

how r u doing? I couldn't add u on msn nor find you on fb. pls check PM!

holdmetight
7th Apr 2010, 10:55
yicheung9, mhhermanlo,

Congratulations on making it to flight grading! When did you guys apply for the CXCPP, and how long did it take for them to send you an invitation for the Initial Test? Is this your first application?

Thanks in advance! :ok:

mhhermanlo
8th Apr 2010, 10:49
FYI: i'm a 1st time applicant n applied for CPP in early Oct last year n got invited for 1st interview in Nov. Good luck mate! :ok:

sony1
8th Apr 2010, 15:09
i applied for the cx cadet scheme but no reply and it just say We are unable to accept an additional application as your current application is being processed. but its said that for last sixth month can anyone help with contact details to cathaypacfic?