PDA

View Full Version : Good flying around Rockhampton?

Krazy
24th Jun 2009, 08:24
I'm going to be up near Rockhampton for about a month and figured while I'm up there, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of the scenery. I have never been to that part of QLD before and would appreciate any suggested trips to do. I'm likely to only be able to do a a few day trips (possibly an overnight if I'm lucky). I figured just flying up the coast might be quite scenic.

Any particular suggestions?

89 steps to heaven
24th Jun 2009, 08:33
Mackay & the Whitsundays :)

Up around Yeppoon area is nice if you want to stay closer to Rocky.

don-one
24th Jun 2009, 08:52
havent been there for years but heading out to great keppel Island was an awesome day trip.
Im sure other guys would have strip info for you but it could accomodate most singles/ twins. You can hang out in the resort for the day, lap up the fantastic CQ weather, do some trecking across the island, swim in the magical water and fly home!

rioncentu
24th Jun 2009, 09:37
Shame they shut the resort. Not sure if they charge for the strip anymore as there isn't anyone at the resort anymore.

Rocky Aero Club would know.

Welcome to Rocky. One of the most GA Friendly airports in Australia.

NOT !!

Run by a pack of :mad:

Krazy
24th Jun 2009, 10:46
Run by a pack of ...

ERSA says it's a council run airport - how bad can it be???

Great Keppel Island Resort - they've still got the holiday village by the looks of their website?! And the resort was closed due to upgrades I heard - I wonder if they have given up given the GFC or if it's still happening....

hogespa28
24th Jun 2009, 11:00
I landed there this time last year and spent a couple of nights, It is simply an awesome place to spend a few days, longer if you can. The resort has been all but abandoned but there is still an operation going there. The current operator has a comfortable if basic setup. Self contained huts with communal kitchen and toilet facilities (About $80 a night if I remember correctly) there was a total of 10 people on the entire island when I was there. Just remember to take you own food. Getting permission to land can be 'interesting' PM for details.

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Jun 2009, 12:05
The best thing to do at Rocky is to overfly it on your way to somewhere else!

Dr :8

Capt Fathom
24th Jun 2009, 12:11
Regrettably, I have to agree with the Doc on this one! :{

j3pipercub
24th Jun 2009, 12:19
C'mon Doc, TL aint a rose...

don-one
24th Jun 2009, 12:27
Rocky is what you make of it Krazy!

Knowing that the resort has closed would have to add to the appeal of GKI. It would be a great island to have practically for yourself!

The criterion on Quay street is great bar for a couple of quiet ones if you end up stopping in:ok:

rioncentu
24th Jun 2009, 21:44
"The best thing to do at Rocky is to overfly it on your way to somewhere else!"

Unfortunately this is something we hear all the time. The council is doing wonders for the region.

SM227
25th Jun 2009, 01:46
I too recomend going north to the Whitsundays, the scenery is very dry and boring around Rocky until you start getting closer to Mackay. Bramption Island is also an option for an island day trip, closer than going up to shute harbour or hamo. You could also go have a look at some of the mines out west.

Oh and make freinds with somebody who has a card to open the gates or you will be waiting a while to get airside.....