PDA

View Full Version : advice please?

han1
23rd Jun 2009, 11:13
i started my ppl a couple of years ago but never actually finished it and i was intending to go on and do my commercial however i then got pregnant and now i have a 1 year old and i am also a lone parent so i figured that my dream of flying would never happen. However lately i have started thinking that i would like to at least finish my ppl, i had roughly 30 hours so can anyone tell me if they will still count towards it or will i have to start all over again? also would anyone have any advice for me if i wanted to go on and do my commercial, it seems impossible as i have responsibilities as a mother but i am only 24 and was thinking that once my daughter starts school i could pursue my dream. I work part time so was thinking of distance learning for the ground school as i couldn't currently give up work. And how long after the ground school is completed do you need to complete the cpl/IR etc.

Any advice would be great, thanks guys

Nashers
23rd Jun 2009, 14:00
1) yes the hours can count towards your ppl. just make sure they are all logged in the correct way.

2) if you have the funds and the time, there is nothing stopping you going for your CPL

3)you have 18 months from the first exam to finish all 14 exams for your ATPL groundschool

4) you have 3 years from the last ATPL groundschool exam to finish your CPL/ME/IR

5) if you have a one year old and go into training full swing, are you going to be able to give flying enough time at the same time as your child, and fund both along with living costs?

it may be easier to finish your ppl and do some flying for a couple of years, then when your child is old enough for school you may be in a better possition to dedicate your time to studying.

pilotmike
23rd Jun 2009, 14:50
Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious, but completing a CPL/IR from ab initio with a 1 year old child is many orders of magnitude harder than completing a PPL without a child.

Not impossible - nothing is - but a whole lot harder, in terms of cost, time, peaceful study time, getting unbroken sleep, commitment, ability to earn. In summary, in just about every single possible way it would be much, MUCH harder.

redbar1
23rd Jun 2009, 21:43
Obviously, it will be harder! And just as obvious, Han1 is fully aware of this, asking the relevant questions.

But I have seen this scenario actually work out, more than once, even with multiple kids. It surely can be done!

So all my best wishes! If you're really REALLY determined, it can be done. As said, I have seen several succeed!

Cheers, and many happy landings,
Redbar1

Re-Heat
23rd Jun 2009, 23:45
CAA rules are online on their website, and answer your questions on licence validity etc.

As I just wrote on another thread:

The cardinal rules of flight training have to be:
- Have a backup plan;
- Don't get into extraordinary debt;
- Treat FTO marketing with extreme scepticism; and
- Make sure you have proven, strong aptitude when self-selecting.

Ask yourself
- Why did you not finish the PPL (honestly)?
- Can you afford it...with a 1-year old?
- Can you afford the time...being away from home if you get a job flying?
- Do you have proven aptitude? GAPAN test perhaps? Not a flight training school test, but proven aptitude and ability?

Balance the above, and make your decision unemotionally.

Now, read the "Starting to regret it!" thread, along with the "Growing evidence the upturn is upon us..." thread.

In response to redbar1 - nobody is being patronising here - they are answering questions frankly.

Good luck!

redbar1
24th Jun 2009, 08:02
Hi Re-heat,

I never implied anyone was patronizing here, I am sorry if I left that impression! :\

My emphasis was/is on Han1 and the "..harder..", "..right questions.." and "..can be done.." - bit. If the semantics worked out wrong, sorry again.

The main issue was twofold: On one hand, to avoid someone wasting more of their time/money, on the other hand, if the motivation really is there, I wanted to gove some positive input as well.

It will be hard, but still can - and has - been done. :ok:

Cheers,
Redbar1

han1
24th Jun 2009, 11:17
thanks for the response guys. I know how incredibly hard it will be, even without a child it would be tough. my ex partner is a pilot and i have seen the 'hell' he has gone through with the training and then trying to find a job and this initially put me off doing it myself which is why i didn't finish my ppl. And what with the economy the way it is i know it will be even tougher but i know if i do not do it now i never will and i think i will live to regret it. I work as cabin crew at the moment so my daughter is used to me being away and luckily i have a great support network around me to help with childcare. I think i will finish my PPL then look into hour building and distance learning for my ATPLs. I know quite well that it will be tough to find a job at the end but if i am determined i know i will do it.

Brian304
24th Jun 2009, 11:39
If its your dream and you can afford it, then follow your dreams:ok:...

To be honest I think 1 of the main things in pilot training is how "determined" you are?...

Re-Heat
24th Jun 2009, 15:18
You're in the right place to make the most of networking from within an airline rather than outside, so make the most of it if you can.

Any chance you have to get free sim rides / sit in the back on a sim check with flight crew / get exposure to flight ops / jumpseat for landing would all be a benefit to you.

In this day and age, you might be able to arrange a sabbatical to do flying training in one go (though at a later date), and retain your present job - curry favour with them in going above and beyond the call of duty, and you might even be the first one they call when they hire flight crew once again...