PDA

View Full Version : Freesat/PVR

BOAC
23rd Jun 2009, 10:38
Looking at going Freesat with HD tuner/H Drive and the only model out at the moment is from Humax. Sony KDL series TV with 'Smartlink'. Anyone any experience of the Humax and Smartlink? Do they recognise and talk to each other? Any other kit out there?

PS I believe Smartlink is also known as Qlink

Sprogget
23rd Jun 2009, 10:45
only model out at the moment is from Humax
Oh no it isn't. Several options are open to you, provided you have the right operating system/software in mind.

Freesat HD on Vista - Hauppauge UK Forum (http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15000&highlight=FREESAT)

green granite
23rd Jun 2009, 10:49
I have a Humax HD freesat thingy, works fine, and the lip sync is good too.

Sprogget
23rd Jun 2009, 11:01
I should clarify that. If you intend to use Windows media centre, only 7 has native h.264 support for hidef imaging upto 1080p.

Any version of media centre prior to 7 will only process standard def with the exception of Vista tvpack plus a downloadable hack. Too much hassle imho.

Outside of that, you will have to go with vendor software. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, except it may leave you with a disjointed media solution on the pc. It's horses for courses in the end. Goiod luck.:ok:

Bushfiva
23rd Jun 2009, 11:05
Humax works well as a bit of hardware. On my early version the USB support is "how could they get it that wrong?" bad. Maybe things are better now if you want to get stuff onto a computer or across a network.

BOAC
23rd Jun 2009, 11:05
Sprogget - no PC within 50 yards of the setup! Standalone lounge stuff (Mrs B = big noise if I put a PC in there:))

GG - which TV are you using? Does it have a 'smartlink' type thingy?

green granite
23rd Jun 2009, 11:42
GG - which TV are you using? Does it have a 'smartlink' type thingy?

It's a 32" JVC LT-32DR7BJ/SJ about 18 months old, the only hi-def connector is an HDMI one which is what I use to connect the Humax with. It also has 2 scarts, audio phonos, PC in, comp video and S-video in.

Sprogget
23rd Jun 2009, 11:45
Ah, I see. Another box collector:p

Bloody eck! £293 big ones for the top of the line model:eek: I have to say the equivalent pc tuner would be about a quarter of that!

HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website (http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10073&cat=stb)

green granite
23rd Jun 2009, 12:29
Bloody eck! £293 big ones for the top of the line model I have to say the equivalent pc tuner would be about a quarter of that!

Plus the cost of a PC

Mine only cost £145 (non recording one) and since nowadays with programmes available from I-Player etc the need to record has virtually disappeared, you don't really need one with a built in HD

Sprogget
23rd Jun 2009, 12:55
But GG, think of all the things you could do with a pc - you could load windows 7 on & watch the desktop change all day, once you'd got bored bored of Ross Kemp on pirates in hd.:}

BOAC
23rd Jun 2009, 12:58
GG - does the JVC have anything like 'smartlink'?

green granite
23rd Jun 2009, 13:47
Sorry Boac I've had to google smartlink to find out what it was.
The answer is that smartlink is a propriatry name for Sony systems, JVC appears to have the same thing but calls it TV-link, so yes it does.

Other companies call it by different names, Panasonic = Q-link, Grundig = Megalogic, Philips=Easy-link, Metz + Data-logic. All very confusing.

BOAC
23rd Jun 2009, 13:54
Yes, I knew about Qlink as per post #1 but not all the other aliases:) Can I take it your TV-Link works ok? I have emailed Humax but no reply. The main reason for concern is that I currently have a JVC DVD Recorder with TV-Link but that does not 'see' the Sony thingy.

green granite
23rd Jun 2009, 16:28
Can I take it your TV-Link works ok?

I don't record programmes so I've really no idea. ( I just switch the mains sw on at the plug and press the on buttons on the 2 remotes to start viewing. )

edited to add: you could try asking here: Humax - Digital Spy Forums (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119)

Tone
24th Jun 2009, 08:28
Been running the Humax PVR for a few month now and very satisfied with it. Only thing to bite me in the ass was the realisation that to record one prog while watching another requires a dual LNB - cheap enough but the cabling will be a nightmare.
T

BOAC
24th Jun 2009, 08:55
Yes, Tone, I have seen that. Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean you need 2 aerial wall sockets or are the signals combined in the one lead? Which TV are you running it with?

spekesoftly
24th Jun 2009, 09:41
or are the signals combined in the one lead?

A dual LNB requires two independent cable feeds to the sat receiver. Each cable is used for two-way communication and switching, so they can't be combined.

green granite
24th Jun 2009, 09:52
Boac how about using one of these instead of a dual LNB?

SATELLITE SIGNAL SPLITTER (http://listings.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/satellite_signal_splitter_9273_v2.htm)

spekesoftly
24th Jun 2009, 10:02
A splitter won't allow you to record one channel while watching another. (see post #15)

spekesoftly
24th Jun 2009, 11:03
BOAC,

I'm also interested in the Humax Foxsat HDR to use in junction with my Sony KDL TV. Today I contacted the Sony shop that supplied our TV and asked about your Humax Smartlink query. They also sell Humax equipment, and said that the Foxsats that they have sold so far do not have Smartlink functionality.

Going back to your JVC/Sony issue, for comparison it may be worth mentioning the following. I'm using a Sony DVD Recorder, and as expected its Smartlink features all work fine. However, the DVD and TV handbooks are very specific about connections and set-up. In my case the scart lead must connect line 1 (scart socket) on the DVD to scart socket 2 on the TV. The Scart lead itself must also have the full 21 pins (not all do) for the smartlink to work. There are also other set-up requirements but they may not be the same as your JVC T-V Link.

To be honest, the Smartlink features are all very clever, but I don't use them very often! In fact sometimes the technology is too "smart", and does what I don't want. For example, if I press instant record on the DVD, it records what's on the TV, and locks the TV to that channel, when I may prefer it to record from its own receiver, whilst I watch something else!

green granite
24th Jun 2009, 11:22
A splitter won't allow you to record one channel while watching another.

It will providing the channels are the same polarity.

spekesoftly
24th Jun 2009, 11:38
OK, if you're satisfied with that limitation. How well does it cope with signal drop?

I don't think I would spend nearly £300 pounds on new (HD) kit and then compromise it with reduced performance and functionality!

Tone
24th Jun 2009, 13:22
That's interesting GG. If I undestand you correctly the Maplin goody will allow a single downfeed to split to feed two receivers - each of which can be set to different channels. How can we find out the polarity of the various Freesat channels?
T

green granite
24th Jun 2009, 14:15
Go here Europe, Africa & Middle East - LyngSat (http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html) and select the satellite you're interested in.

spekesoftly
24th Jun 2009, 14:51
Having since had a quick look at an online Humax User Guide (page16), it seems you can achieve the same without the need for a splitter.

Humax have included 2 inputs and 1 output on their PVR receiver, which means that with the correct set up you can at least record one channel whilst watching another, providing it’s sharing the same polarity.

All you need to do is connect up your cable from the satellite dish to input 1, then using a small length of cable with F-plugs on both ends, connect up input 2 to output 1.

Sounds handy for an existing single LNB set-up.

Tone
24th Jun 2009, 16:12
Indeed it does, I'll give it a whirl
T