PDA

View Full Version : Part M Subpart G

Tolka
23rd Jun 2009, 07:48
I have a share in a G registered aircraft which is based in Ireland. It has an EASA C of A and was issued with an ARC in August 2008. Previously its maintenance was carried out in the UK by a company which was Part M approved and had applied for Subpart G. I know that the CAA were happy to treat UK maintenance companies which had applied for Subpart G as if they had been granted it as there was a back-log in the Subpart G approval process at the time.

We are thinking of using an EASA approved Part M maintenance company based in Ireland which has applied for but not yet received Subpart G approval. We are only doing this because it is more convenient to use a company based in Ireland. My question is will the CAA regard this company (an Irish based one) in the same way as the previous UK based one. I'm hoping the answer is yes as its all supposed to be under EASA now.

Tolka

A and C
23rd Jun 2009, 08:55
The short answer is NO, however why not get the UK company to cover the subpart G and the Irish to cover the subpart F.

The CAA has nothing to do with this as the are only a regional office of EASA, despite what they think!

dg93
25th Jun 2009, 18:57
Assuming that your maintenance providor is in the Republic of Ireland the application for subpart G approval is with the IAA not the CAA so IAA rules apply. They tend to use the CAA procedures but they have a few differences but the Continuing Airworthiness and ARC renewal should be the same!!!!!!!

jxk
26th Jun 2009, 06:32
And there I was thinking that the purpose of EASA was that so that we were all "singing from the same EU hymn sheet".

Tolka
26th Jun 2009, 07:27
DG93,

While the aircraft is based in the Republic of Ireland it is a UK registered (i.e. G registered) aircraft. As such it was the CAA rather than the IAA which issued the permanent EASA C of A. I'm assuming therefore that it will be the CAA which will need to be satisfied that the ARC has been appropriately issued.

Tolka

A and C
26th Jun 2009, 08:40
I am totally confused by this ! if an EASA part F maintains the aircraft and an EASA part G company issues the ARC that should be the end of the matter.

I cant understand what the CAA of IAA should have to do with this apart from the UK CAA taking the money for doing next to nothing.

camlobe
26th Jun 2009, 14:39
OK folks, this is something I can help clarify. This is only because I have already issued ARC's to 'G' reg aircraft based in Ireland.

A Part M Certificate of Release to Service must be issued. For non-commercial aircraft, this can be issued either by an Engineer with an appropriate Part 66 Licence with type ratings, or by an EASA approved Subpart F maintenance facility. For commercially operated aircraft, the CRS must be issued by a Part 145. This constitutes the MAINTENANCE release.

For the issuance of an ARC to a 'G' reg aircraft, the ARC must be issued by a Part M Subpart G with I attachment acceptable to the UK. As I have just recently been briefed, although the EASA issued approvals are usable anywhere in EASA land, the only 'extra' requirement for ARC issue is, the EASA Part M Subpart G & I must furnish copies of their approval to the National Aviation Authority of the state of REGISTRATION, and this must be accepted prior to ARC issue.

In short, a UK CAA approved EASA Part M Subpart G & I organisation can issue an ARC to any aircraft type on their approval list if it is 'G' registered, irrespective of where the aircraft actually is based. The maintenance of the aircraft can be certified by an appropriatly licenced Engineer or Subpart F organisation (non-commercial aircraft), or Part 145 organisation for commercial aircraft.

Tolka, PM me if you would like further info. I am only just accross the sea.

camlobe