PDA

View Full Version : Getting a PPL for now

will504
23rd Jun 2009, 00:42
I'm halfway through a 4 year engineering degree and originally disregarded the career choice of aviation until after i graduate when I would reassess my options. Choosing a degree instead of flying was nothing to do with drive - it was more a combination of funds and the fact that I would always be able to go back to flying with the addition of a maths/physics degree behind me.

Coming into the summer break, I now have enough money (and time) to gain my PPL. As well as for recreation, it will allow me to confirm whether to go on with my training in a modular fashion after graduation.

The question is - once the PPL has been gained, should training stay quite regular? I read somewhere that building up too many hours on your own may be unattractive to employers as they fear that too many bad habits may be picked up. If that is the case, would it be better to postpone the PPL training for perhaps a year or two?

Many thanks

Whirlygig
23rd Jun 2009, 06:26
If I was in your shoes, I'd go for the PPL this summer which is supposedly going to be the best summer weatherwise for the last few years. :ok:

Your hour building can be conducted under the guidance of a flying school and many schools have a 28 day check rule if you haven't flown for some time. As for employers looking at your hour building? They can look at your log book but you've got to have a certain amount of PIC time. Your CPL is supposed to iron out your bad habits.

Cheers

Whirls

quant
23rd Jun 2009, 08:04
once my ppl is complete this summer i'm going directly onto ATPL's with a view to hour building early next summer then straight onto my CPL/IR/MCC in the late summer.

Whilst hour buiding i'm not only going to enjoy myself but i'm going to practice those vital skills that will be needed in the CPL/IR training and not simply burning holes in the sky..

With regards to postponing i personally wouldn't! The oil price is low and will continue to tumble (as the world bank has just reported that the recession is much deeper than they originally thought and as the west tries to bankrupt Iran into regime change), you can get great deals on training. I'll leave the choice to you engi ;)

:ok: