PDA

View Full Version : a/c checkout counting towards 100 pic jaa cpl

Duffer2007
22nd Jun 2009, 19:34
Age old question guys, but i've really looked hard, and please don't tell me just refer to lasors.

Im in florida and want to do a checkout on a 182. does the time spent in the air with the instructor count towards 100 pic for issue of a jaa cpl. Don't have a go at me for it just someone please try and sort this out in my mind.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Ian

Frank Furillo
22nd Jun 2009, 19:43
Duffer, PIC means Pilot In Command. Easy really, if you are Undertaking Instruction, then you must log the hours as Dual.

So if you are the sole operator of the flight and no one is telling you what to do then you can log hours as PIC. If not you must log them as Duel, so in answer to your question NO you cannot count them.

Hope this makes it crystal clear, you are not going the Commercial route by any chance?:confused:

Duffer2007
22nd Jun 2009, 23:37
Thanks for your reply. I realise the difference between pic and dual and have done since i started, the reason i asked is I did my training in the us and am now hourbuilding out there and the instructor wrote it in the log book as both dual and pilot in command on my first checkout.

It was a simple misunderstanding, I'm not too keen on your comment about me going the commercial route but thanks for clearing that up!

Ian

mech500
23rd Jun 2009, 17:42
If the flight went well I.e no intervention was required by the instructor, then I can't see why you can't log it as pic. Providing that you are current and legally able to carry passengers. However, I always ask the instructor to sign my logbook for checkout flights. Hence if your claiming pic hours for a checkout flight and your logbook is countersigned by the instructor then surely it's bullet proof.

Only you or the instructor can log the flight as pic. Hence you have to agree amoungst each other who will be pic. If you agree that you will log pic then the hours will count towards the 100hrs required.

OneIn60rule
23rd Jun 2009, 18:00
FAA and JAA rules differ on such matters

It is considered as dual given.

In the UK or shall we say in MOST JAA countries you can have P1 or Dual but not both.

So count that hour as dual. The reasoning is that the Instructor already claimed it as P1.

Had you hired an N reg plane and flown it yourself with no instructor claiming P1 and issuing dual then you'd have no problem.

FAA and JAA rules differ on such matters.