PDA

View Full Version : Been away a year, any potential gotchas?

WillDAQ
22nd Jun 2009, 13:27
You know what it's like (or maybe not). One thing in life leads to another and you realise that you've not flown in over a year.

Not having the greatest memory in the world i've been trawling back through all the old Air Pilots Manuals to remind myself of this PPL lark. Obviously the next step is to pay a visit to my friendly local instructor, but first an important question!

What rules and regulations have the CAA buggered around with in the last couple of years? I'm assuming Class G will be that bit smaller than I remember it, but any other gotchas waiting for me?

Cheers
Will

flybymike
22nd Jun 2009, 14:08
The CAA threw the towel in yonks ago. These days it is EASA who bugger around with the regulations.
Having said that, the most obvious change is the new ATSOCAS and we can blame the CAA for that white elephant.

IO540
22nd Jun 2009, 14:24
In a year, not a lot has changed.

Flight Information Service is now called Basic Service.

Radar Information Service is now called Traffic Service.

Flight plans can no longer be faxed to Heathrow etc. There is now AFPEx (http://www.flightplanningonline.co.uk/) (you have to apply for access and it takes some weeks, but is free of charge) or you can hand the FP in at the tower as before.

WillDAQ
24th Jun 2009, 14:04
Thanks folks, will look those up!

Cheers
Will

stickandrudderman
24th Jun 2009, 21:35
And don't forget your tabard and/or your PLB and your mode S and the new weight categories for a/c and the price of fuel and the fact that your IMC might have a terminal desease and look at these shoes I've only has them six weeks and the heel's worn right through already!

mightynimbus
25th Jun 2009, 13:32
.......................and of course the squawks that you are supposed to use near controlled airspace whilst listening out on an appropriate frequency, no calls required, apparently it disturbs the controllers sleep!! :)

WillDAQ
25th Jun 2009, 19:17
And my medical which expired 12 days ago... *sigh*