PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Oil Ops

JaredYng
22nd Jun 2009, 07:00
I'm sure similar questions have been asked but I'm hoping for some specific answers and suggestions.

I'm almost through the commercial program for helicopters at which point I intend to go on for CFI and CFII to build hours. I'm interested in the gulf operations and I have some questions.

Would having my Instrument rating in airplanes help my odds of getting hired in the GOM? Not sure why this would but would having my commercial in fixed wing also help?

Would the dual instrument rating help with perhaps a SIC position in the GOM?

How do the SIC positions usually get filled?

Thanks in advance.

JaredYng
23rd Jun 2009, 15:30
Does anyone here work for Era, PHI, or Air Log.?

ambidextrous
23rd Jun 2009, 17:00
Talk to SASless or Gomer Pylot, I'm sure they would be happy to assist you.
with fraternal greetings,
ambi:ok:

Um... lifting...
23rd Jun 2009, 17:13
I believe our friend Aser was there for a time as well.

slgrossman
23rd Jun 2009, 21:10
Jared,

Can't really speak for the other GoM operators, but at PHI fixed wing commercial and instrument endorsements themselves probably won't carry much weight. However, any such experience you accumulate will certainly be helpful for your own benefit, and you may get some credit for the flight time. Additionally, the fixed wing quals will help round out your experience, and may provide a viable fall-back position in hard times.

At PHI the SIC positions are generally offered to small ship pilots who have been with the company a couple of years. In some cases pilots with sufficient IFR experience are hired directly into the IFR program as SICs. It varies from year to year with supply and demand.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

-Stan-

JaredYng
23rd Jun 2009, 22:51
Thanks for the info and the contacts guys.

Any other tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated:)

Stan, check your PM's!

gomex
23rd Jun 2009, 23:26
At AirLog an helicopter instrument rating is a requirement, no exception. Our company is on a hiring freeze due to the uncertain energy policy of the Obama administration. Good luck to you, I believe it will get better.

JaredYng
23rd Jun 2009, 23:34
Thanks Gomex. I do have my helicopter instrument rating just trying to decide if I want to do my fixed wing instrument now or later. If it helps with a job the now would be great.

I heard that AirLog recently made a deal with an airliner to ride jumpseat...is there truth to this?

Also, does AirLog look more favorably on Bristow students for jobs as opposed to students from other schools?

Trans Lift
24th Jun 2009, 03:49
Supposedly they will take students from their own little pilot factory, Bristow Academy, before anywhere else. Well not the students but the instructors who have the time. This is strange though because most of the instructors when I was there didnt go to Air Log when they left. I knew of one guy who was my instructor for a while. I'm sure there are pilots working with Air Log who were but I'm talking about since Bristow bought it.
They should have a scheme at the to see who is over a thousand hours (or whatever TT is needed) and then recruit but they didnt seem to be doing this actively. Everyone thought it was going to be a big help having worked there and leaving for the real world but it wasn't so.
But yes, I do think it would help somewhat having trained at BA!!:ok: