PDA

View Full Version : Internet problems - AGAIN!!!

frazhm
21st Jun 2009, 16:30
Here we go again

- network is as follows - main computer ethernet connected to bt hub 2.0, two laptops plus nintendo wii, all working spiffingly well until 5 days ago. Internet now painfully slow approx 0.5mb/s rather than 4-5mb/s. Had painfully long telephone conversations with BT support who have established that the hub is receiving data at 6-7.1mb/s,
-they are now saying that their responsibilities are being met by these respectable download rates.
- they are also saying that the problem is with my computer, but if all three computers are receiving painfully slow connections then surely the problem is not at my end.

What do people think???

Many thanks
Frazhm

jimtherev
21st Jun 2009, 17:49
You’ve probably done all the usual fault-finding stuff, e.g.

- checked with an independent speedchecker, like speedtest.net,

- unplug all the extension phones, plug the modem/router into the master socket – if poss the test socket inside the master,

- changed the ADSL filter from which you get your ADSL feed

- tested with a wired connector on one of your lappies - alone, with all else switched off. If that cures it, perhaps a neighbour has just started using the same (or near to it) channel as you are, or a cordless phone (or even doorbell – yes, honestly) is interfering.

If anything improves, then you have something to start on – else, keep hitting BT... for example, they may not have checked the noise on the line?

Good luck
J.

Guest 112233
21st Jun 2009, 19:31
Like other People of PPRUNE, I'm getting the same symptoms (I'm a BT Home Hub 1 user, light useage - typically 1 or 2 M/C's connected and 2 Km from an Exchange ) - The throughput has dropped from 6 Mbs to 3-4 Mbs in the last few weeks. Is the takeup of the BBC Iplayer to blaim ? or are major sporting events, attracting DDOS (denial of service) attacks on betting sites world wide and we are not getting to hear of the problems.

CAT III

Ancient Observer
22nd Jun 2009, 12:31
Once you've done all the usual checks, as suggested by Jim., try calling BT more than once.
I've had very different experiences from calling them. Sometimes they don't know/care, but sometimes I've had really helpful individuals on the line, going well beyond that "the line is OK sir" response.

They do have a script to run to, but with some of them they'll go well beyond that. The number i've used is 0800 111 4567.

Once they just could not be bothered. A letter to the CEO resulted in a quick call from their problem resolution team, visit from an engineer, and admittance that it was their problem...........but I guess that many of the problems they deal with are with customer's kit/set up.........most of mine are!!

jimtherev
22nd Jun 2009, 18:42
Once you've done all the usual checks, ...........but I guess that many of the problems they deal with are with customer's kit/set up.........most of mine are!!

Mine, too! And it's worth bearing in mind that if you insist on an engineer call (Not me, a friend, honest, guv.) you'll get charged seventy quid.

The overload (BBC / DOS) stuff has been mentioned in the press, too - even to BT threatening to charge BBC for bandwidth abuse... tho' don't think they could enforce that.

J