PDA

View Full Version : Landing gear locked down gradient on SID

Marlboro_2002
21st Jun 2009, 11:47
Hi,

this one got me thinking.

Imagine you take-off, and after the call of positive climb, you ask for gear up.
However the gear does not raise.
Now imagine that you having this problem in IMC and are expected to perform an obstacle critical SID with climb gradients not lower than 5,5%, in an 2000ft elevation and mountainous area.

What do you do?

Continue on SID, advise ATC?

Regards,

AshPilot
21st Jun 2009, 12:17
if it's that critical, treat it as engine out and carry out an emergency turn?

Old Smokey
21st Jun 2009, 12:19
Without knowing the specific performance data for your aircraft, I would think that a 5.5% gradient with All Engines Operating would not be a problem.

An engine failure with the Gear Down and obstacle limited would be a disaster!

The odds are in your favour, on 99.999% of Takeoffs, engines do not fail!:ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey

captjns
21st Jun 2009, 12:28
Emergency turn procedures (ETP) provide the required "out" in the event of performance degredation due to engine failure, or perhaps landing failure to retract. There is another alternative to the ETP, which would be to follow the missed approach procedure if the departing runway has some type of instrument approach.

BOAC
21st Jun 2009, 15:18
and are expected to perform an obstacle critical SID with climb gradients not lower than 5,5%, in an 2000ft elevation and mountainous area.- as others have posted, in those conditions you will certainly have an EOI flight path predicated. You could follow that if you wish. IF you lose an engine as well, as OS says - it ain't your day, so 'put your head between your legs and kiss your ar..........'

I would caution against following a MAP in that situation since the profile for that will commence at DA at the approach end and you will be starting at t'other. It might be ok, it might not. That is not the time to find out.