PDA

View Full Version : Very slow PPRuNe

ZFT
20th Jun 2009, 08:51
Not sure if this is a country/regional issue or more widespread but this past week PPRuNe has slowed to a snails pace with today being particularly bad.

As this has been experienced on 3 different PCs across 2 different ISPs not a personal equipment issue I'm sure.

Anyone else having similar issues?

green granite
20th Jun 2009, 09:30
Yes it's very slow today, wouldn't let me in at all between 0730 and 0800. It's being a real pain as it wouldn't go into the reply mode a few minutes ago. :ugh:

shack
20th Jun 2009, 10:02
It is so slow that a couple of times I have thought it has died---and there are not a vast number of viewers.

Out Of Trim
20th Jun 2009, 10:44
Very very slow for me too!

I just saw a Database error briefly whilst opening a thread.. So maybe it's about to break-down again! :eek:

Capn Notarious
20th Jun 2009, 10:59
The database error that showed up to me, was in Jet Blast.

Senior Pilot
20th Jun 2009, 11:23
Hence the announcement at the top of each Forum re maintenance to fix the problem.

You did read it, didn't you :hmm:

ZFT
20th Jun 2009, 11:44
Senior Pilot,

Oops - However, may I make suggestion?

I'm certainly guilty of not reading it, but only because I didn't notice it.

Could new notices at least be highlighted or a coloured font used to make them stand out?

Senior Pilot
20th Jun 2009, 12:10
Could new notices at least be highlighted or a coloured font used to make them stand out?

On my screen, announcements are highlighted. They are also sitting in their own section above all other threads on the Forum home page, with a large(ish) loudspeaker symbol alongside the Announcement.

I guess that's a bit too subtle.....:hmm:

green granite
20th Jun 2009, 13:11
We were asked a while ago to report any problems with this site in this forum, we are doing so. Sarcastic comments about reading headers are totally unnecessary.

Mgggpilot
20th Jun 2009, 13:24
Yeah too worringly slow! And am afraid there will be a possible 'wing drop' and we are only 200feet agl. Administrators do some thing pls 4 *** sake.

hellsbrink
20th Jun 2009, 14:47
We were asked a while ago to report any problems with this site in this forum, we are doing so. Sarcastic comments about reading headers are totally unnecessary.

When there is an announcement clearly stating that action is to be taken to cure the issue, and people don't read it, then sarcastic comments are perfectly acceptable in my book. Let's face it, at the top of EVERY subforum is the announcement so if ya ain't looking and ain't reading then, well.........

stevef
20th Jun 2009, 18:09
If you can't get past the home page (as I couldn't this morning), just how are you supposed see a header in each forum? An announcement there would have been better imo, unless it was technically impossible.
I agree that sarcasm is uncalled for. It's becoming a sad trend on the web in general.

Loose rivets
20th Jun 2009, 19:35
I tried! Honest I did, clicked on it and watched the replacement egg-timer. W7 has a little green circle by the cursor, that goes round and round while you wait.

Round and round and round it went. Round and round...Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Later I awoke to find that it was still going round...and I'd been mesmerized for six hours. :hmm: Going to save a fortune on Zolpiem.

Sprogget
20th Jun 2009, 21:29
When there is an announcement clearly stating that action is to be taken to cure the issue, and people don't read it, then sarcastic comments are perfectly acceptable in my book.

Your infallibily is reassuring. I will hang on your every word from now on.:E

Jofm5
21st Jun 2009, 04:24
Sarcastic know it alls are why I removed my helpful posts from rotorheads after having the one thread I actually created closed with the comment do your research and look at this thread.....

And that thread I read and wondered why the hell I did cause it did not answer the question in any way.

Give that place a miss now.

hellsbrink
21st Jun 2009, 07:14
If you can't get past the home page (as I couldn't this morning), just how are you supposed see a header in each forum? An announcement there would have been better imo, unless it was technically impossible.But since you got here you would have seen the ANNOUNCEMENT at the top of the sub-forum.........

(PS. I don't think it would be impossible, a new sub-forum called "Announcements" would do the job. But with the issues we all had with trying to access any part of the site, how would you have been able to read the announcement section? Surely the way they do things now is sufficient as to read any announcements you have to be able to access a sub-forum where there is a highlit but at the top saying "Annoncement" which you should be able to see and be able to read as soon as you accessed the section you wanted to read)

hellsbrink
21st Jun 2009, 07:22
I will hang on your every word from now on

Noose

:p

this text is only added to reach the 10 character rule

rjtjrt
21st Jun 2009, 07:47
"Rotorheads Moderator
Wrongly accused Hunt Ducker

Hence the announcement at the top of each Forum re maintenance to fix the problem.

You did read it, didn't you

I use www.pprune.org,
then sign in and go to Quick Links "Today's Posts".
There are no announcements at top of any of these forum pages.
So Senior Pilot, should you apologise?

Not So Senior Pilot

spannersatcx
21st Jun 2009, 17:36
They are also sitting in their own section above all other threads on the Forum home page

And that's where the problem lies, it's blue coloured text on a blue background and not where all the other topics/threads are, so unless you know it's there you may noy see it. I certainly didn't until it was mentioned here. I would suggest that it be at the top of the threads as a sticky and with contrassting colours so you can see it.:ok:

vonbag
21st Jun 2009, 18:52
Regarding the problems mentioned, there were already two threads (that I know):
http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/377470-pprune-server.html

However, at this moment, the website is working alright again for me, at its "before 1st June 2009 standards", even before the scheduled maintenance of Monday. :D Proficiat! :ok:

Happy browsing, entertainment and learning to all!

FrankLeeSpeakin
21st Jun 2009, 19:06
Most users ever online was 11,419, 1st June 2009 at 13:46.
Need a hell of a server to cope with that load.
I too have had huge frustration with the right-hand orbit signal at the top of my browser page as I wait to get in here. Zzzzzzzz.
I DID see a notice about maintenance but not any more - is it still there or has it expired?

FrankLeeSpeakin
21st Jun 2009, 19:11
Yes its still there you short-sighted moron FrankLee:

PPruNe will be down for approximately 90 minutes on Monday at 3pm Pacific Time / 2200 Zulu.
We will be upgrading the database to address the speed issues we've been seeing.

LOOK before you POST. Twit!
Is it OK to be insulting if its self-abuse?
:-)

:{
(wonders if this is the "DOH!" icon)

BOAC
28th Jun 2009, 10:44
Well, after the 'spring clean' on Monday it did improve, but I'm getting a slow response again today.

amanoffewwords
28th Jun 2009, 11:06
It's working absolutely fine for me - O2 ASDL (2.5mb) in SW20 London + daily pprune addict :8

BOAC
28th Jun 2009, 11:15
Ta - maybe it's my connection.

green granite
28th Jun 2009, 11:48
It's slow occasionally for me today, I'm getting something I've not seen before, also occasionally, when I open a forum the treads that I've subscribed to open several times deeper that non subscribed threads for about a second then revert to normal. :confused::confused:

ZFT
28th Jun 2009, 13:09
I've experienced exactly that too. Must have missed a subtle hint somewhere!

Bushfiva
28th Jun 2009, 14:32
(2.5mb)

Awwwwww.... it's the sort of bandwidth one would want to pat on the head :}

Although, having said that, I lasted many years on 128 kbps bonded ISDN, so I only mock affectionately.

amanoffewwords
28th Jun 2009, 15:41
It works for me but what it does somehow annoy me is that my parents get over 6.5mb in Arundel - so much for rural areas getting slow ADSL...

Saab Dastard
28th Jun 2009, 16:28
Regarding bandwidth, I don't notice much difference in my internet experience now, currently on 10Mbps Cable, over what I used to get (2Mbps cable)*.

I find that the bottleneck shifts elsewhere, usually to the server / internet connection of the site I'm downloading from. Also, as internet connections have increased, so also has the amount of data associated with web browsing - e.g. ads on PPRuNe, BBC iPlayer (I wish it didn't exist).

*The cable company has just upgraded the connection over the years, 2 > 4 > 10. I may even have started with 512K, it's been a while!

SD