PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Expats In The USA

come fly
19th Jun 2009, 23:56
Hi all,
this is to any aussies currently flying in the USA. If you could give me information as to how you went about the big move?
Which companies you suggest I try?
Really just any of your USA experiences would be appreciated.

Thankyou and safe flying.

Kenny
20th Jun 2009, 00:38
CF,

PM me with your questions. Been here 10 years and trying to get the hell out. Everything has gone to $hit and there's really no end in sight at this point.

No one in the airline (RPT) world is hiring and it's likely to stay that way for at least the next 12-18 months.

I would think VERY carefully before you make any move.

Mick16
20th Jun 2009, 04:08
Do you have a green card, dual citizenship, or any other visa?

BritishGuy
21st Jun 2009, 04:32
Not an Aussie, but a Brit. Please as stated above, stay away (I'm doing my JAA euro exams right now to get out). This place isn't worth it. And won't be in for at least the next 10 years (being optimistic). The furthest you'll get is into the left seat of the 737/320 and that's it (towards the END of your career) If you're lucky that is. The industry is crap here. It's on par with being a taxi driver (as the wages clearly compare) and you have no respect. Just my honest 2p worth.

Mick16
21st Jun 2009, 20:03
Even though it's tough times in the industry everywhere right now, I don't agree with BritishGuy that you could never aspire to more than 737 Captain the US. You are a young guy and have time to ride this out. I was here during Sept 11th 2001 and fly for a major now. Having said that, you won't get sponsorship from an American carrier, they require at least permanent residence and sometimes citizenship (for TSA/security checks) I would consult an immigration attorney if you're serious about coming to the US, but jobs are hard to find in the short term. Flight instructing doesn't pay much - it pays much more in Australia - but when things improve, there will be movement at the airlines, especially after 2012 when the 65 year olds start retiring in big numbers. PM me if you like

NewZealand787
22nd Jun 2009, 06:20
Hi there, im in a similar situation as Come Fly. Currently living in New Zealand though, have been to the states many times and love it. Im 25, CPL 300hrs, and have a Green Card.

Would love to move to the states, might be able to instruct for a few years until the industry picks up?

How long do you guys rekon itll be before the US regionals are hiring again??

Peace

Kenny
22nd Jun 2009, 15:03
A couple of thoughts.....

While the poster may well be young and possibly have the time to click their heels at a regional. You have to keep the following in mind. This industry and whether you have a good career in the US, simply come down to 2 things; Luck and timing. It doesn't make a damn difference if you have the flying skills of Chuck Yeager or if you're a great guy that everyone wants to have a beer with.

If you were to come now, you're looking at scratching around to find a flight instructor job. They typically don't pay well and with a glut of guys looking for work, you'd probably need in excess of a 1000 hours to even get a look in.

Let's assume you do get lucky and find a CFI job. You're going to have to beat up the circuit for probably another 18 months before the legacy carriers start hiring off the street. The majority have furloughed pilots that have to be called back before any new pilots are hired. Until that happens the regional won't be hiring in any numbers. The only way there'll be movement at the regionals, is when there's movement at the majors.

Now, because you've been hired at the beginning of the wave, you'll have to be really and I do mean really, lucky to reach the left seat of a regional, then get a job at a major before the wave comes crashing down. Keep in mind that even if you do reach a major, you're on the bottom of a list and chances are you'll be furloughed at some point in the future. It happened to all the United and USAir guys that were hired 12-18 months ago.

US airlines are not growing, they're shrinking and the majority of legacy pilots are working for the same money they earnt in 1992!!! It's never going to be what it was and without a doubt, the pay will never catch up.

I've been here since before 9/11 and was furloughed due to it. I've watched all my peers go to the legacy carriers and get furloughed. Most are still on furlough and it is not fun, trust me.

I wouldn't recommend flying in the US to anyone.

Mick16
22nd Jun 2009, 19:14
It's fair to say that you'd have a very tough time getting a job with 300 hrs, and you would have to work for low pay at flight instructing for 2 years, but if you are really keen to live and work in the US, I wouldn't rule out all hope for the future. It was only two years ago that regionals were hiring people with 500 TT and 100 multi. I wish I could even guess how long it will take for the tide to turn, but hang in there.
Making connections with people in the industry is key. Of course, you have to pass simulator checkrides on your airline interview but networking is really important.
Couldn't suggest anywhere in the US for jobs. I have friends on furlough at other companies too. Flight instructing is probably your best bet. Not sure if you can get work work in Oz or NZ in the meantime, I'm not encouraging you to come here or stay there, either way, you have to go where you want. If the US is your goal, I'm saying that eventually there will be opportunities. It doesn't seem like it right now. Maybe when you get 1500 hrs, you could look at Alaska (some of the smaller companies, like Everts that fly DC6's)
Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchorage_International_Airport)
Good luck

pablo
25th Jun 2009, 03:07
hmmm....

I don't know how you guys think it's like in Europe or some other parts of the world.
In Europe ain't easy for sure, and besides it's getting expensive.

Market is as bad as anywhere else, or even worse, as there's less movement than for instance the US, and for most airlines now you need a type rating, or a type rating + hours on type.
We are talking from about 40k USD to 100k USD some guys are cashing for line training.

I don't know in OZ or other parts, but in most of Europe instructing is not really a choice for a professional career, while in the US there are a couple of well-paying schools around that can make that stage a little bit more bearable.

In the US there are far many more airlines, and a lot more general aviation movements, so I think there are more opportunities. Yes... more pilots, but many openings as well.

To BritishGuy... well.. quality of life in the US for some of us is just awesome and a million times better than anywhere in Europe, so no need of flaming like that. I understand the situation might be frustrating, but you, as many others, will miss your time in the US when you are back in old grey boring Europe.

Even instructing or just GA flying beats big time flying in Europe.
The a/c flies about the same, but all the stuff around is a bit more complicated unless you fly from an "airstrip".
Request landing in an airport comparable to Phoenix or Dallas (or any other class B) and the controllers will probably be on the floor laughing at you.

Or going to an FBO and have free access to computers, coffee, etc... at no cost. In some places even you are offered a courtesy car to go have dinner.

If you drop by the Private Flying forum here at pprune you'll find some horror stories of guys having to pay ridiculously expensive handling fees, etc... for a service not comparable to that you get in the US for free (in most places).

When you are back flying in Europe, please drop by and tell us if you still feel the same.

Kind regards / Pablo

geekygirl
29th Jun 2009, 11:48
Hi...new here, just looking for some preliminary information is all...

Now I can see that most of these posts are aircrew related, I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding the state of play with maintenance jobs in the US - specifically FL preferrably or surrounds if required?

Just going off what the maintenance side of things is like here with an ageing workforce and kids no longer pursuing careers that involve grease and handskills in great numbers that there will be more and more positions that people to fill soon? (Please correct me if I am wrong though - I started in the airline industry over here in 1993 and have seen the changes over the years)

And is there any recruiting mobs that deal with foreigners with regards to gaining employment in the US?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Tinstaafl
29th Jun 2009, 13:59
LAMEs ('Airframe & Powerplant mechanics' here) can nearly always find jobs. Haven't a clue what would be involved in transferring from LAME to A&P though.

Cap'n Arrr
19th Jul 2009, 07:18
Hey all,

I'm in a sort of similar situation, I've got just shy of 1000hrs with multi instrument, but also have dual us/aus citizenship. I'd love to just do some time (even just a couple years) on charter/freight in the States, but I know I don't meet 135 mins. Is this a problem? Are 135 operators even hiring, and if they are can you live off the salary? Is corporate an option at all? I'm particularly interested in Denver (or somewhere else fairly close to the snow), but beggars can't be choosers:}, and for the right job I don't mind where it's located.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated:)

Cheers,

Cap'n