PDA

View Full Version : Bladestrike Claims Another Pilot

skid shoe
19th Jun 2009, 22:24
Does anybody know what happened here? The news story is very light on detail. I know that there were strong wind warnings for areas of the gulf and cape on Wednesday, or was it as simple as a moments inattention.

Chopper pilot killed in rotor accident
Henry Tuttiett
Saturday, June 20, 2009
© The Cairns Post

A MAN was killed when he was struck by the rotor blade of a helicopter near the Gulf town of Kowanyama late on Wednesday afternoon.
Police and medical services were called to the scene, south of Rutland Plains, about 6pm after reports of the incident, but the man was already dead when they arrived.
Regional Crime co-ordinator Det Insp John Hartwell said the man was aged in his 20s.
"There is not much I can say except that it was a tragic accident," he said.
"He was the pilot of the helicopter and was involved in mustering.
"He had apparently landed to destroy an injured beast and as he walked back to the helicopter he was struck by the overhead rotor which resulted in fatal injuries."
Det Insp Hartwell said the alarm was raised by a man who saw the accident.
"There was another man with him who witnessed the incident and called for assistance," he said.
"Police and medical staff from Kowanyama were called out there and on arrival found him to be deceased."
Police will prepare a report on the incident for the coroner.
"The investigation has been taken over by Workplace Health and Safety and they will take the lead," Det Insp Hartwell said.
A Department of Emergency Services spokeswoman said staff from a Kowanyama medical centre attended the incident with police.
A spokesman for the Australian Transport Safety Bureau said it had looked into the incident, involving a Robinson R22 helicopter, but would not take its inquiries further.
"We have had a look at the situation, gathered some information and are dealing with the north Queensland coroner," he said.
"But at this stage, we don't plan on investigating the incident."

Chopper pilot killed in rotor accident - Local News - Cairns, QLD, Australia (http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/06/20/48005_local-news.html)

My sincere condolances to the pilots family and mates.
SS