PDA

View Full Version : Drop into Glastonbury?

Alex555
19th Jun 2009, 16:35
Would it be possible to paraglide into the festival? Or maybe use a deck chair with a few thousand helium balloons? :)

englishal
19th Jun 2009, 17:40
Sure it is possible. You even get provided free transport and accomodation after landing.

1800ed
20th Jun 2009, 00:03
Make sure you get the number of balloons right :}

1982 Honorable Mention: Lawn Chair Larry (http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html)

ShyTorque
20th Jun 2009, 07:46
englishal,

I've heard the bed's a bit hard, though. And they take your shoelaces away before tucking you in for the night.

Alex, there is a prohibition on operating an aircraft near public gatherings in the Air Navigation Order, CAP393. Glastonbury in particular is usually NOTAM'd to remind folk about this.

cockney steve
20th Jun 2009, 22:25
Alex, there is a prohibition on operating an aircraft near public gatherings in the Air Navigation Order, CAP393. Glastonbury in particular is usually NOTAM'd to remind folk about this.

I think the operative word is "near but the O.P. was asking about "dropping in".......I would suggest that this is possible, subject to prior permission and possibly the organisation providing a proper landing-area etc.

If you dispute this, you also infer that "public gatherings" such as the F1 Grand-prix ,this weekend at Silverstone and the Goodwood Revival weekind,among many others, all allow huge illegal air-traffic movements.

This is patently not the case, therefore,the answer should be,-

"Yes, subject to permissions and legal compliances."

ShyTorque
20th Jun 2009, 23:33
Cockney Steve, Fair point. But to me, "dropping in" suggests a casual arrival, should it be a nice day, or if one might feel like it on the day.

Power to prohibit or restrict flying
96 (1) Where the Secretary of State deems it necessary in the public interest to restrict or
prohibit flying by reason of:
(a) the intended gathering or movement of a large number of persons;
(b) the intended holding of an aircraft race or contest or of a flying display; or
(c) national defence or any other reason affecting the public interest;
the Secretary of State may make regulations prohibiting, restricting or imposing
conditions on flights by aircraft specified in paragraph (2) flying in the circumstances
specified in paragraph (2).