PDA

View Full Version : Opera Ad Blocker?

BRL
18th Jun 2009, 14:09
Anyone know of a good ad blocker for Opera?

frostbite
18th Jun 2009, 14:20
I mostly run Opera (v9.64) and it seems to have an ad blocker built in, Stops popups and if I right click on annoying ads I can select to block them in future.

I don't see that annoying BAA ad any more, for example.

BRL
18th Jun 2009, 15:06
I use Opera but it is the stupid big ad on the right of the forum that is doing my head in!

LH2
18th Jun 2009, 22:31
I use Opera but it is the stupid big ad on the right of the forum that is doing my head in!

I don't know if this will help, but I just blocked the server serving the ads on this browser and that made it go away (and back to full width posts :ok:). I use Firefox, but AFAIR Opera also has an image blocker. Thankfully the ads are just images.

piggybank
19th Jun 2009, 00:44
Opera Beta 10 has a pop up blocker, under Tools, but the adverts do still come up. I have mine set at block all pop ups, and there seems no way round it some still pop up. You might try the forum that Opera has and see what other people do.

Tinstaafl
19th Jun 2009, 07:27
I use a proxy server called Proxomitron to filter my webpages. It's a bit like a sharp knife though - it's easy to be a bit too enthusiastic with its filters and block rather more than was desired. I wouldn't mind many types of ads if they were static & didn't occupy so much space. I find animated ads to be so bloody intrusive & annoying that I'd rather not view a page at all if I couldn't get rid of them. Once they start being animated or overly large then out they go, never to be seen.

The proxy server works by taking page request from the browser, forwarding it to web server then filtering the returned results to exclude undesirables before the browser gets to see it.

LH2
19th Jun 2009, 22:08
I find animated ads to be so bloody intrusive & annoying

What about the ones that come with sound then? :mad: That's what made me install NoScript

Tinstaafl
20th Jun 2009, 00:09
I don't like any web page with sound effects. Doesn't matter if it's from ads or someone trying to be cute with their site. It annoys the tits off me. I have other audio sources I prefer to hear.

NRU74
20th Jun 2009, 05:24
I don't know if this will help, but I just blocked the server serving the ads on this browser and that made it go awayLH2 -How do I do it using Firefox ?

hellsbrink
20th Jun 2009, 08:31
With Firefox you install he AdBlockPlus plugin

NRU74
20th Jun 2009, 08:52
hellsbrink
Whether the ABP is enabled or disabled,the icon red green or even grey and on the drop down list the pprune line ticked or not -I still get the ads.

hellsbrink
20th Jun 2009, 15:06
That's strange, I don't.

And that's on Win7, XP and Linux

martinsteiger
20th Jun 2009, 15:37
Opera Browser Wiki :: Blocking Adverts In Opera (http://operawiki.info/BlockAdvertisements)

Martin

NRU74
21st Jun 2009, 14:11
Hellsbrink [or somebody] help
I've now managed to block the ads [using XP/Firefox/ABP]but it also removes the Reply and Post Reply buttons.
Tools/Options etc is set to accept Cookies and includes Pprune

spekesoftly
23rd Jun 2009, 19:07
but it also removes the Reply and Post Reply buttons.

I've also noticed that (also using Firefox & ABP), but only very recently. It wasn't happening until a day or so ago, and I believe both PPRuNe and Firefox have had recent updates.:hmm:

Saab Dastard
23rd Jun 2009, 19:15
both PPRuNe and Firefox have had recent updates PPRuNe yes, FF not sure (I'm running v2 which is stable). No problems here with ABP.

Make sure that you are not blocking anything from ibsrv.net.

SD

frostbite
23rd Jun 2009, 19:47
Won't swear to it, but I believe FF is up to v3.5 now.

BRL
23rd Jun 2009, 19:59
martinsteiger Thank You! That has done it! :)

Keef
23rd Jun 2009, 20:10
Won't swear to it, but I believe FF is up to v3.5 now.

I think that's the Beta or Gran Paradiso or Minefield version.
My desktop is still on 3.0.11.

I tried Opera but didn't get on with it. Firefox on desktop and laptop (both Win7, one FF 3.0.11 the other 3.5) doesn't show any ads at all on PPRuNe - or indeed anywhere else.

I have, however, added certain sources to the NoScript blacklist.

spekesoftly
23rd Jun 2009, 20:24
Make sure that you are not blocking anything from ibsrv.net.

SD,

Many thanks. Problem sorted after tinkering with the filters.

green granite
23rd Jun 2009, 20:38
FireFox 3.5 is classed as the 4th Beta release, I use it all the time and it's reasonably stable but has the odd hickup.