PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Hassles

seekayess
17th Jun 2009, 19:51
I function on my iBook G4, without any serious hassles.

The other day, I upgraded the iTunes and Safari for my wife on her PC with the latest versions available.

I find that I am now beset with sound problems on the iTunes there: as any song/ tune is playing, the sound keeps going off and on intermittently, in no discernible pattern. All speaker connections are OK -- the power light to the external speakers does NOT keep going on/off -- so it is not that. I have pulled out the connection to the CPU and put it back -- no difference.

Whilst I am not good at trouble shooting on a PC at all (having never really used one! -- always a Mac-person for the last 22 years!!) I am foxed with this problem.

So, two questions:

1. What is the problem here?
2. Am I being paranoid or do some of you agree that this is a problem of someone of Bill Gates' nerds interfering with the functioning of Apple software on PCs?

Bushfiva
18th Jun 2009, 00:40
2. Am I being paranoid or do some of you agree that this is a problem of someone of Bill Gates' nerds interfering with the functioning of Apple software on PCs?
:rolleyes:

smudgiebottom
18th Jun 2009, 01:16
Hi Bushfiva,

To troubleshoot the problem, I would go through something like the following steps:

Speaker problem - try plugging in some headphones into your PC directly and see if the same sound issue exists. If yes, then speakers are fine, if no, then speakers are the problem.
Windows/Sound problem - Get your favourite (!) Britney Spears CD and put it in your PC CD drive. Play it in Windows Media Player and see if the sound does the same thing. If yes, then there is a Windows/Sound problem. If no, then play that same CD in iTunes instead, and see if the sound is good. If it's good, then the issue is with specific iTunes tracks, not Windows/iTunes itself.
(most imporantly) Eject the Britney CD and crush it with a large block of concrete and berate yourself for purchasing such garbage. :yuk:
That should at least get you heading in the right direction (well, a direction anyway). :ok:

Matt

Ancient Observer
18th Jun 2009, 16:01
I'm sorry I'm not an expert on this techie stuff, but I too have been having problems since the last itunes update. Once you've done the tests already suggested, you might need to ponder whether or not it is itunes itself. My problem is that of the hundreds/thousands of tracks on my itunes, (not me - daughters!!), about 1/3 of them have stopped playing since the last update.
I can only guess that the most recent itunes has done something "clever" with its security.
All the tracks that I know I've put on there clearly work, but some from elsewhere in our modest domestic network, and some that were loaded to this pc, won't work.
I've used it as a reason to tidy up the tracks deleting those that won't work - boring in the extreme, but worth doing in our case. I did go looking for the tracks to see where the pc had put them, but didn't get any joy from that.
The new itunes tracks don't copy over to the Nokia software so well, and that is deeply frustrating as I use my Nokia phone as my ipod.

seekayess
18th Jun 2009, 18:48
Thanks, guys! Shall try out all the routes and see what happens.

Bushfiva My reason for that statement was rather simple: I too have upgraded my iTunes on my iBook G4 -- and there have been absolutely NO problems there. See? :hmm::)

seekayess
22nd Jun 2009, 17:13
Honestly speaking, I was at a loss how to decipher what was required of me to do! But as advised, I decided to check all connections etc.

So, I methodically did that: powered off and disconnected the speakers, re-loaded the iTunes. Blew into the connectors, reconnected, powered up and volia! It worked!! :ok: :ok:

Never look into the mouth of a gift horse, me Dad used to tell me!

So, I have left well enough alone -- and a happy SWMBO!

Thanks everyone!

:D