PDA

View Full Version : IR revalidation required 12 months after IR test or LST?

skiptoit
17th Jun 2009, 16:36
I've just been laid off by my airline. I completed my MEIR last September and it is shown on my license as being valid until September this year. HOWEVER, I completed my type rating for the type I was flying in my last job in December last year and as part of that process did a full LST. I did my last OPC just last month. To further add fire to the flames, I am due to start a new type rating in the next two months. Basically, am I required to revalidate my MEIR? If so does it expire 12 months after my initial IR test date or my last LST? And finally can I revalidate during my LST for my new type?

Any help most appreciated! Thanks.

Keygrip
17th Jun 2009, 17:28
K9: Insufficient data to formulate reply!

All depends which country you are talking about.

horsebox
17th Jun 2009, 19:27
I think the requirement to have a valid MEP IR is for the initial multicrew type rating. Once you have a multi crew type rating on your license, things become easier.

In any case your license should include an IR specific to the aircraft you have just finished flying, which I presumbe will be a multi engined aircraft of some sort?

Section F4 in Lasors gives more info.

Pre-requisite conditions for training
An applicant for the first type rating course for a MPA shall
provide evidence that the following requirements have
been met:-
a. have completed at least 70 hours as pilot-incommand
of aeroplanes;
b. hold a current and valid multi-engine Instrument
Rating (Aeroplanes). This is only a requirement
for an initial MPA type rating and not subsequent
type ratings.

flybyshark
29th Sep 2010, 21:40
I am in practically the same boat.

Did TR renewal last year and soon it will be 12 months up. To keep the IR alive can I do a revalidation in a sim this year and at least keep the IR current?

Have asked some schools and get conflicting information. One says no problem, so long as you do a test in a sim before the 12m date and the meir is current.

Another says no you cant as you hold an MPA Type Specific MEIR and if you want a cheaper option than jumping in a jet then renew the MEP MEIR?

Tried looking in LASORS, still scratching my head.

Anyone know the answer? I just want to keep the meir current, although I know I dont actually need to be current to do another TR should a job come up, its nice to have the currency on the licence.

MIKECR
30th Sep 2010, 17:43
An MEP/IR can only be revalidated if the rating is still within the 12 months of currency. Outwith 12 months, the rating has to be renewed and must be done in the aircraft itself. Revalidations of the MEP/IR in a sim(FNPT etc) can only be carried out on alternate years....ie. every second year.

As far as Type ratings go.....a valid(and current!) MEP/IR is only required for an initial Type Rating.

I am of course speaking JAA land here too.

flybyshark
30th Sep 2010, 18:14
Thanks Mike, am aware of the initial requirement for a TR, which is why I am not panicking as I have crossed that hurdle before but would be good to keep the IR current as a matter of showing some form of currency on the licence.

My TR date us up in a few weeks and was hoping the rule in lasors section E 1.5 could allow me to do a sim ride to keep it valid, not specifically the MEP or MPA or anything else, just the IR. I cant afford to jump in a jet nor go for renewing the single pilot meir in a piston

The problem is that one school says yes you can and another says you cannot.

No point wasting money if they are wrong! Might as well go for a few flights in a cessna and renew that class rating instead