PDA

View Full Version : ICAO to JAA conversion

Will180
17th Jun 2009, 03:41
Hi all,

This is a topic commonly overcomplicated. I am flying in Australia building hours with the hope of eventually working in Europe, predominantly Spain. If anyone has had experience converting any licence (in particular, an Australian CPL) to a Spanish JAA I would greatly appreciate any information on this process.

My plan is to accumulate the hour requirements for the ATPL and then head over to do the conversion.

Thanks for your input.

INNflight
17th Jun 2009, 07:43
Overcomplicated it is not. I am in the process of doing this myself right now (but have a friend who does the same with an Australian license).
I am not exactly sure what requirements you have when you hold an ATPL instead of a CPL ME IR, however you need to take all JAA ATPL written exams (which is an excessive amount, really!) and do checkrides for your CPL or IR.

Depending on your experience you will have to do some retraining in Europe, which costs a wee bit too.

edit: Oh, and obviously do not even bother trying unless you have the right to live and work in the EU ;)

heliporto
17th Jun 2009, 08:51
Hi there

I´m now almost finishing that same process. If you have an ATPL, and and fulfill some conditions, like a certain number of hours in Multi Engine, Multi-Pilot, you may be exempt of flight training. If you hold a CPL, or do not have fulfilled the experience requirements, you will have to do an approved JAA course. In either of the cases you will have to do all the JAA exams (that should be 14 if ATPL, 9 if CPL), wich mean a lot of work. In some countries, you can do it by distance learning based on E-Learning system (where you will only attend 10 days at the school and all the rest is done at home), what means you can still work and study, if you need it.
I´ve done my distance learning with Bristol Ground School (from UK) and they are very good. Check www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs)
About the flying: you will have to do it with an FTO, and the number of hours should be "fly has required". I don´t know about fixed wing but getting a CPL (for helicopters) i´ve been informed on having to do between 10 to 30 hours depending on experience.
For more information google the words: "LASORS",and JAR FCL 2.016, and then when inside the documents search for the word "conversion".
Best of luck with the conversion.

Will180
25th Jun 2009, 03:22
Thanx for your help. It sounds like the easiest part is having my EU passsport!