PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of Canadian APTL to Australian

PaddyPaddy
16th Jun 2009, 19:14
Any hints or tips...In Canada we have a course called the Aerocourse is there a simular type course in Australia? Any suggestions on books that could be purchased and studied?

Thanks
PaddyPaddy

PlankBlender
17th Jun 2009, 07:07
All the info is here: Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Converting foreign licences (http://casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:1853001743:pc=PC_90024#convert)

Need to sit CPL and ATPL Air Law plus IREX for the instrument rating, plus flight tests.

Better than the European m@rons who let you sit ALL theory exams again:ugh::ugh:

beaver_boy
24th Jun 2009, 02:56
I just did my conversion a year ago and it went like this

Convert your CPL - write Aus CPL Air Law
wait for CASA to learn to read and write, approve you and finally give you a license in hand then....

Write your IREX (Instrument Exam) - then.....wait for CASA to repeat the above process, then....

Do your IREX FLight Test - PAss hopefully. It's a 3.5 Hr flight test. You need to fly an approach for EVERY aid you want to be endorsed for (ILS, VOR, NDB, GPS, DME/GPS Arrival)
Pay your ridiculous Examiner, test and aircraft fees, then......wait for license in hand, then....

Write your ATPL Air Law exam. Then....you guessed it...wait for CASA to learn to read and write again and hopefully your license should be in the mail and CORRECTLY CONVERTED within a few weeks. It took me 2.5 Months from Start to Finish and they still made mistakes.

Seriously though, you will never complain about Transport Canada EVER again after dealing with CASA.
They are RIDICULOUSLY beaurocratic and there is a fee for everything!
(Just yesterday the company had to pay them $200 for a letter with a signature that no-one will see but them!)

Get or borrow a BOB TAIT theory book (CPL and ATPL and IREX) and get familiar with the publications here, they are different and more scattered. ie you need info from 3 different sources to get to an answer for anything

The closest flying school should help you with that. Depending on where you'll be I can suggest flying schools. PM me if you want.

Beaver

Tinstaafl
24th Jun 2009, 18:20
On the plus side, CASA will transfer your foreign type ratings & endorsements onto your new Oz licence. If the foreign system doesn't require a specific type rating or endorsement for an aircraft or design feature, but you have logged time flying that equipment then CASA will add their equivalent qualification to your licence to permit you to continue using that equipment using your Oz licence. You have to apply for each rating/endorsement/qualification - they won't necessarily do it automatically. Oh, and pay, of course... :rolleyes:

zoolander777
25th Jun 2009, 02:02
Beaver Boy you are so right!!!!! prior to dealing with CASA I thought TC was horrible...but I've changed my mind since then. What we pay in Canada for licences is soooo much cheaper than what they charge here for medicals and exam fees, etc.

If you have your ATPL then you don't really need a conversion course. Besides, ATPL courses cost way more than Aerocourse.