PDA

View Full Version : Destination Air Phuket

Hasherucf
16th Jun 2009, 12:42
Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to Destination Air and their aircraft in Phuket?. Was at the airport today and the office still has signs out the front. Everything in the office seems active with desks and book work intact.

No sign of the aircraft and the website is still up with no hint of what happened.

Was looking forward to a seaplane flight :-(

Deegan
19th Jun 2009, 05:21
The Owner went bankrupt.

He had two planes. Both were brand new.
To me, it seems that thy put faar to much money in that project and where not tu busy. Then, the Hotels in Patong ( thats the most busy Customer departure Point ) where complaining and Destination Air had some troubles to pick up people from the Main Crowded Location.

Now, the Plane is for sale

twotters
27th Jun 2009, 09:47
Guess they are gone now.

siamtexan
9th Sep 2009, 08:38
Destination Air seaplane service is once again up and running from Phuket thailand. this time owners have changed business model from scheduled shuttle service to pure on call charter...

CareerFloatPilot
12th Sep 2009, 18:18
Surprising indeed.

powerstall
18th Sep 2009, 12:22
Website's still up and running.:}

ozthai
20th Sep 2009, 15:55
Cloudrunner, if you feel you have a case, why don't you take them to the Thai labour court ?

kwaiyai
25th Sep 2009, 02:31
Unfortunatly this type of Character wont understand that Cloudrunner they will just keep Smiling cos thats all there brain can do.
Hopefully they will end up in a Concrete piling somewhere in BKK.:yuk:

airjunk
30th Oct 2009, 05:18
Hello

I've been silent for far to long regarding Destination Air. Mostly, I've waited to see what happened to them watching from the wings hoping despite all their problems they would succeed but knowing unltimately the company was destined to fail. The deck was stacked against them a long time ago when the owners decided to become a scheduled seaplane airline in a region that could not support one.

So who am I? I am the one who started it all. Back in 2004 we were close to starting a seaplane operation in Malaysia but the whole thing fell apart when I had a car accident and ended up medivacted back the U.S. A year later I looked at buying Bluewater Air as a launch vehicle for regional seaplane services but in the end decided the company had far to many ghosts in the closet to deal with. So, my team and I decided to go it alone but we needed investment. This is where Destination Properties (Jake and Gary) come in. We negotiated a deal with DP whereas my project would be funded and launched and we would retain minor equity stake and profit sharing. Little did I know where this would lead.

So, we embarked on starting what would become Destination Air in Phuket. My team wrote the business plan, did all the government paperwork involved, set in motion the marketing plan, organized for aircraft, defined the operating area, and basically everything else to get the operation started. Then we were shut out.

In 2006 DP refused to honor my original contract and insisted on renegotiating. This took nearly 3 months. Once we had a contract in place and signed, DP tried to change the terms. This is when I basically told them off and walked. Shortly after the GM I brought in quit as well, and sued. Only one member of our team stayed on but that was only because if he did not the company would have been shut down immediately due to conditions set in the license award from the Thai DCA. He is still there, but hasn't worked for the company in over a year due to non-payment of salary.

To replace us they brought in Pat James. This was the first step to Destination Air's failure. Pat was originally hired for marketing but was promoted to MD/GM after we left. He was successful in finally getting the licenses and started operations, but it was a full year later than planned. I won't go into the reasons here but just understand DA has always had a rather tenous relation with the Thai DCA.

Since startup it's been pretty much as said before. They threw out our businss plan and went ad-hoc. They tried to be a scheduled carrier by doing an IATA registration, publishing a schedule, and marketing as as scheduled seaplane operation. This was ILLEGAL. They did not have a scheduled AOC and could not publish or fly a regular scheduled. In fact, they could not even sell by the seat. They had to sell the whole aircraft. And they got caught.

DA completely failed in marketing. Seaplane services are weather permitting, always. Apparantly their sales staff didn't understand this and clarify with customers. There were many incidents of flight cancelations at the last moment (less than 1 hour before flight) which left VVIP guests stranded and cause missed flight connections. As such, most of the Krabi based resorts stopped using them.

In addition, the management, mainly Pat, succeeded in allianating all the foriegn staff (pilots and engineering) resulting in all but one pilot resigning at the beginning of the 2007/2008 peak season. Their cheif engineer resigned in mid-2007 and they haven't had a viable maintenance department since then.

As you may know, seaplane operations live and die on the success of their maintenance programs, particularly salt-water operations. Preventive maintenance is VERY important. DA did none. They were operating on a fix or replace model which lead to major maintenance issues on both aircraft in mid-2008. This resulted in a review of their maintenance procedures and ultimately resulted in the revocation of the operations AOC.

Since then the company has been for sale. But who would buy a shutdown airline with a **** reputation and grounded aircraft. No one. So, they have been trying to get everything back in order and very nearly have succeeded. They now have a minimal maintenance program. They have fixed the aircraft (to a point). And they have rebranded as a charter operation. They are doing the right things but with the management still in charge, there is no hope they will be successful. I doubt they will ever fly a paid flight again.

So where does that leave things? There is a definitive market for seaplane services in Phuket. Bluewater air was almost successful. Destination Air had the wrong model but could have been successful as well. Both died because they had the wrong people, the wrong plan, and wrong attitude. It's really that simple.

I wish DA had been successful. I put 3 years of my life into creating it so I guess I have a bit of a vested interest in seeing the dream succeed. With the right team, the right plan, the right aircraft and the right attitude, it can succeed. Anyone want to partner with us to make it happen the right way, finally....

Bugattieb110ss
28th Feb 2010, 09:26
Hi,

I read with interest you very polite and detailed explanation of the Destination Air story. Having passed through Phuket airport a couple of weeks ago i noticed DA offices on the top concourse so had a look in, being curious as to whether they were still operating. Know one was in, but it was a Sunday, however the offices looked like they were occupied and still active. Do you know if they are back up and running, and if so is it the same people in charge? I only ask, as i was curious that in my time out there, i saw absolutely no aircraft, float planes or otherwise, operating in what i would have considered was an ideal environment for them...

Island ways
12th Jan 2011, 04:50
I am in Phi Phi right now, wondering what it is you need to bring back a seaplane to this part of the world. A caravan pilot myself with almost 6000 hours, i would really love to be part of such a venture.
I might have a possible investor for a plane.
Interested ? Let me know.

ILovethailand
27th May 2011, 20:31
Starting a float plane operation in Phuket would be a dream. Would love to go back there. There is definitely a market there, but it has to be done right.
You can't have people like Pat running the show, his whole idea was to piss people off to try and get what he wanted.

There are some people that were really dedicated to try and make a go of it. But when you are in a foreign country and things are starting to turn around, it is time to head home.

AirJunk if a seaplane operation is something you would like to revisit. Don't hesitate. I have operational experience from reputible companies.

easy-e
27th Jul 2011, 23:38
holy sh*t.
And I've been beating myself up for not accepting an offer of employment from Pat in 2007 to lead the airport staff & work on some float time on my 1 day off...
Hotshot 'Nam vet with a massive ego who got irritated when I asked one too many questions from the Pac NW before moving halfway around the world...nice justification of the gut feeling I had back then!!
I'm really sorry to hear it failed after so much work went in though, truly sucks. Is there ANY hope for a reputable, small-scale charter/sked carrier anymore??

thunderin
19th Nov 2011, 02:48
After reading this thread, I found an interview which was held with Pat James at the beginning of 2007 by Andaman News TV11 Phuket. I thought it was worth sharing.
Interview about Destination Air Shuttle seaplane service - YouTube

loslobos
13th Oct 2012, 12:17
Hi dear,
my name is Michael and since about 6 years i come to Phuket for holiday. i worked as a sales manager for seawings in Dubai ( water aircraft company). i was wondering why nobody set up that business here in Phuket... today i found your article about Destination Air..
now i have a simple question, you are still around here in Phuket? maybe you are interested to build a similar company again. i have the investor and i have another interesting point to be succesfull in that business.
please let me know if you're around.

cheers Michael

Kangaloo
15th Dec 2012, 06:52
Hi Michael,
I have long been interested in setting up a seaplane service in Thailand.
I am planning to relocate to Thailand permanently next year and would be interested in talking to you regarding your interest in the same.
Regards
Les