PDA

View Full Version : Silverlight 3

Keygrip
16th Jun 2009, 11:56
I *did* do the mandatory search first. Started with Google, went to Wikipedia - didn't understand a word of it (Geekspeak).

Searched the forum here - found one thread going back to January 2008.

So - is there any modern thinking on Microsoft Silverlight? Maybe the new version 3 that apparently appeared in March?

I have a reasonably powered computer: Vista Ultimate 64bit, 3.2Ghz dual core processsor, 8Gb RAM and a GeForce 8600 graphics card.

I tend to do *mostly* e-mail, standard web surfing/researching, prooning, and a fair bit of "Second Life".

Would Silverlight light up my web experience as they suggest?

I have 2 terrabytes of HDD space so am not afraid to download anything that makes life slightly more bearable.

Saab Dastard
16th Jun 2009, 13:25
Would Silverlight light up my web experience No, now put your tongue back in your cheek! ;)

Unlikely to hurt, may help.

I have an Athlon 1400 PC that's my 2nd-best, and the one I mainly use, but Silverlight isn't supported on that CPU. As if that isn't bad enough, MS add insult to injury by insisting on having a pop-up urging me to install ****ing silverlight every single time I go to their site. I can't see a way of switching it off, either. :*

SD

Keygrip
16th Jun 2009, 15:45
So I should do it?

Jofm5
16th Jun 2009, 17:43
What exactly is it you want silverlight to do for you ?

Silverlight is Microsofts attempt at Adobe flash and is not as widely supported accross platforms so you may be better off just going the adobe route.

There is no harm in playing with it to see what you think, the best environment for developing in is using Microsoft Expression Blend.

You can download an evaluation of it from here:- Microsoft® Expression® (http://www.microsoft.com/Expression/products/Overview.aspx?key=blend)

Of course if you are just on about your web experience then by all means install it as sites that have the functionality will be slightly more interactive than not having the plugin installed.

Keygrip
16th Jun 2009, 19:01
One of my greatest problems with compyooters is that I don't know what they *can* do for me.

Unless somebody thinks of a wizz-bang software product, writes it in very simple point-and-click format, sets a fairly cheap price for it and then convinces me that I need it, I don't tend to do much stuff with them.....because I don't know what they can do for me.

Silverlight is, as others have said before, being pushed toward me as an available update. Question really is, I suppose, what the hell is it? That's why I ask "is it any good?".

You've already answered, btw.

Thank you.

kenhughes
16th Jun 2009, 23:40
This page is an example of what Silverlight can do for you:

Silverlight Shock game on nokola.com (http://www.nokola.com/Shock/)

As Jofm5 says, it's Microsoft's attempt at doing what Adobe Flash/Shockwave does. In some ways, it does it better in as much as Silverlight applications tend to be smaller (in terms of bytes used) and so download faster.

By all means install the Silverlight runtime - it won't do any harm. And I'm pretty sure that, once you install the runtime, it stops the annoying modal pop-ups which SD mentioned.

Happy zapping :)

Ken

Keygrip
17th Jun 2009, 02:03
Okay - you convinced me. I'll go get it.

Compyooter may never work again.

Btw, seeing a message from Ken reminded me what computers *can* be used for - he once posted a photograph of one of the most beautiful women I ever saw.

Not forgotten it Mr Hughes.

kenhughes
17th Jun 2009, 03:08
Which was that? The Hooters Air cabin crew or the Aerion Corp (http://www.aerioncorp.com/) Supersonic Business Jet? :ok:

Keygrip
17th Jun 2009, 10:28
Done the deed. Not seen any change at all yet, "lol".

Ken - it was black and white. Look closer to home.

Keygrip
17th Jun 2009, 11:43
DOH!! I remember the photograph perfectly - but not the name - it may have been Ken Wells (I think).

Silverlight still hasn't done anything either wonderful or damaging.