PDA

View Full Version : CoPilot Software

airman1
16th Jun 2009, 06:31
Has anyone used the CoPilot Software on an iphone?

Any good or bad points?

Is the weight and balance CASA approved? (I doubt it but I will ask anyway):confused:

http://www.ljd-tech.com/copilot/ (http://www.ljd-tech.com/copilot/)

tmpffisch
16th Jun 2009, 06:59
It's AWESOME!

I love it, I used it all the time and it's generally spot on. Highly, highly recommended.

Is the weight and balance CASA approved? I doubt it.....the data that YOU input is hopefully straight from the POH....it only does all the moment calculations etc for you and plots it on a graph for you. Presume garbage in...garbage out.

Ultralights
16th Jun 2009, 09:07
if only it could get weather info from NAIPS. and submit a plan the same way...

tmpffisch
16th Jun 2009, 09:23
Being made in the States, don't expect to see weather integration. As for submitting flight plans, I've bugged the developer to make it possible to export the plan to a file (specifically a .dtl file that NAIPS uses), with no luck so far. On the next version he's made it possible to transfer flight plans between copilot users via email.....I'd much rather a .dtl file, or a flight plan I can print out.

Merlins Magic
17th Jun 2009, 00:36
As far as weather is concerned, there is a free application called AEROWEATHER. I wouldn't use as a replacement for actual NAIPS weather but it does give you TAFs, TTFs and Metars for many ports. No forecast temps and QNHs. Good tool for a heads up.

Krasnall
6th Jul 2009, 23:06
What kind of waypoints can I expect in CoPilot? Only airports, VORs etc. or others like cities, towns? Is it possible to enter a waypoint using its lat/long?

Are there any obstacles displayed on the moving map?

tmpffisch
6th Jul 2009, 23:11
VFR/IFR waypoints along with radio navs and airports are included in the database, or you can create your own by lat/long.

No obstacles shown on the moving map (which by no means should you be using as your only source of navigation anyway, I wouldn't trust the iPhone GPS in flight as far as I could throw it...)

john_tullamarine
7th Jul 2009, 02:11
Is the weight and balance CASA approved?

Even without checking, I can near guarantee that it's not. Similarly, because of the checks and balances needed to sign off on software solutions, I would be surprised if any Oz WCO would have a bar of doing likewise.

However, it should be straightforward to run a few check calculations to satisfy yourself that the solution is reasonably aligned with your longhand calculations.

Then again, by the time you input the data it probably is quicker to do the longhand calculation on a sheet of paper. Better if you have a trimsheet and you can do the calc in a few seconds.