PDA

View Full Version : How... What ... AHH!

tomtom_91
15th Jun 2009, 23:20
Hey All,

I am really confused.... I love flying and in a few weeks/months I will be starting my PPL I have a place at uni however I feel it is not for me.... I have no interest in flying for an airline, is it cheaper to become a FI and train students or is it cheaper to get the CPL/ATPL. I assume that you will need to get a CPL to become a FI or you can not get paid? - Any advice about how to reach my goal would be amazing!

Sorry if this has been touched on before..

Thanks

Tom

darn
16th Jun 2009, 15:38
It is much cheaper to get a CPL/FI than a frozen ATPL.

To get an ATPL (frozen) you have to have an Instrument Rating - which is very expensive, and not necessary (although very useful!) if you only want to be an FI.

And yes, if you want to be paid as an instructor you currently need a CPL.

Hope this helps!

Pugilistic Animus
16th Jun 2009, 16:07
and you'll have loads of fun and gain lots of time teaching which means you've spent lots of time learning

I like your attitude:ok:

PA

Whopity
29th Jun 2009, 16:58
In terms of time scale, by the time you are ready to become an instructor, you may not need a CPL to be paid and will not need CPL knowledge to become an FI. The Rules all change in 2012!

AlphaMale
29th Jun 2009, 18:42
The question is will it pay enough to make a tidy living?

I'd love to work in aviation be it a flying instructor or airline. But the better pay seems to be with the airlines, the big house and sports car is only going to come your way working for them.

I for one am seriously considering building up 60+ hours in a microlight and then enroll on an AFI course. Not sure what they pay is like but I have heard it's better than a Group A FI. Add to the fact I will not need to pay for a CPL theory/ATPL GS, CPL and FIC I guess the rewards are better.

There is a large school operating the ikarus c42 not too far away too :D

foxmoth
30th Jun 2009, 21:31
Be prepared for change in attitude as you get older, I was very much in the same frame of mind as you and was very happy flying Air Taxi and instructing, I then got to the point where I looked at my life and asked where I was going, at which point I did move over to airlines, I was then coming up to 30 having spent about 7 years on SEP and light twins.
I have no regrets that I did not move to the airlines before I did, having thoroughly enjoyed the flying I did, likewise I has no regrets about moving onto the airlines when I did - and I have since always kept my instructors ticket valid which I still use in my spare time.
Enjoy the flying you do, but be open minded about moving on in the future:ok:

kiwi chick
11th Jul 2009, 04:11
Oh my god, Whopity, are you serious???

will not need CPL knowledge to become an FI

you mean a someone with only PPL knowledge will be able to teach? I still felt like a fraud teaching with CPL knowledge - it was a mere drop in the hat.

100 hour pilots can be dangerous :=

Pugilistic Animus
20th Jul 2009, 19:52
you must ignore the sentiments of the uniformed,...you'll find many people without any association with flying attempting to put you down,..but a good and dedicated FI is like gold
so as I've said before, let you're flying career go where it may,..but don't let the ground get you down:ok:

best of luck, study hard

PA

foxmoth
20th Jul 2009, 20:54
PA - I do not see anyone putting down here, and I think you will find most who have replied actually have a LOT of association with flying (And did you actually mean the UNIFORMED or the UNINFORMED?) a bit of advice of where to look in the future was given and that is from people who are WELL informed and have travelled this route already!

kiwi chick
21st Jul 2009, 04:27
:D :D Best advice yet....

Pugilistic Animus
21st Jul 2009, 22:33
Foxmouth I'm not talking about you good folks

I have NO problem with the replies, they are very usefulo:ok:

I mean the ground people,...with big traps

PA:)