PDA

View Full Version : RAF Tutor / Glider Collision - Condolences Thread

Mil Bill
14th Jun 2009, 16:17
Another shame. Most likely a Tutor from Benson and one of the many civvie gliders about. RIP those that have lost their lives.

alexmac
14th Jun 2009, 16:44
My thoughts with those involved and everyone in the AEF/UAS community.

Olly O'Leg
14th Jun 2009, 18:37
BBC News ticker reporting that one of those in the Tutor was a cadet.

As a former VGS mate, a truly sad day.

Condolences to all.

HPMan
14th Jun 2009, 20:02
My thoughts go out to those who tragically lost their lives today and their families & friends! I was rather shocked to hear of this accident especially as I flew close by shortly afterwards, returning from Halton in a Chippie - I heard the sad news from a friend on landing.

The weather was great and there were a few other aircraft up, including a handful of gliders, enjoying the conditions; it did not seem overly busy, though. Will wait to see what the BOI says but gliders and Tutors can be hard to spot on a day such as today.

TheWizard
14th Jun 2009, 20:11
Sadly, I saw one of the aircraft heading earthward whilst out and about today. Couldn't quite believe whether I had seen it or not but after reaching the scene the Police Heli Support Unit from Benson was already there and dealing with things.
Quite a sick feeling when seeing what the wreckage was and subsequently finding out that there were fatalities.

Another very sad day for the aviation world.
Thoughts and condolences to the families who have lost loved ones today.

cargosales
14th Jun 2009, 21:23
A very sad day for all, perhaps especially for those of us who have had the priveledge of taking cadets airborne for the first time. My thoughts and prayers for those and their families involved in this tragedy.

CS

Fortyodd2
14th Jun 2009, 22:10
When everyone has stopped bitching about colours.............

RIP MB, only met you the once but you clearly knew what you were talking about. Raised a glass tonight, my condolences to your family.

pilot_ygc
14th Jun 2009, 22:43
Please El Grifo,

lets not forget that two people lost their lives today, one of them a good friend.

We all raised a glass in the mess tonight.

Plodin Along
15th Jun 2009, 02:00
As a family member of one of the crew that died, I wish, on behalf of the family, to thank everyone for their kind words. I also wish to pass my condolences onto the other family concerned, our thoughts are very much with you at this sad time too.

In time I hope we get an answer on what happened but I appreciate that human nature is to ponder and question .. We, the family are doing that ourselves.

Thanks again

PA
:sad:

L J R
15th Jun 2009, 03:30
Rip . . . . . .

c130jbloke
15th Jun 2009, 06:17
RIP to both.

Another rubbish day for the RAF and the ATC.

C130JB

boswell bear
15th Jun 2009, 08:59
My condolences to the family and friends of those lost and my thoughts are with the glider pilot who survived to carry the burden of this for the rest of his life.

This weekend was a busy weekend for GA and Gliding, whilst instructing at a VGS this weekend I lost count of the number of aircraft my students and I spotted, I wonder just how many we didn't see!
On numerous occasions one of us spotted a glider or light aircraft only for it to "disappear" in an instant before the other could get eyes on, sometimes no matter how good the lookout close shaves are inevitable.

Lets all take this as a reminder to keep looking out for each other.

FlapJackMuncher
15th Jun 2009, 10:16
Condolences to the friends and family.
RIP

AllTrimDoubt
15th Jun 2009, 12:47
Condolences & thoughts to all involved - directly and indirectly. And that involves the glider pilot too.

As others have stated, this is neither the time or place for speculation, recrimination or otherwise.

Merely an observation. The Tutor has a broad canopy arch. It does not have an inertia reel safety harness.

RIP

wizdimic
15th Jun 2009, 15:28
How sad this, and the other Tutor mid-air has been to me. All 3 captains I knew; one I served with back in the 80s, the other I knew as a fast-jet mate and sadly the youngest of the 3, had only recently graduated from Linton at the time of his death. During my 46 years of military aviation, I've lost many friends and colleagues in flying accidents and these tragedies are never any easier to accept.

My condolences to the families at this difficult time.

Wizdimic

glad rag
15th Jun 2009, 16:54
Deeply,deeply shocked and saddened by this terrible news.
My heartfelt condolences to all touched by this.

glad rag.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
15th Jun 2009, 17:55
Condolences to the families of those involved.

RIP

Duncs

fincastle84
15th Jun 2009, 18:57
Sincere condolences to Bev, Alisdair, Kirsty & Fiona on the sad loss of a loving husband & father, Wg Cdr (Rtd) Mike Blee, ex 206 Sqn Nimrods, OC 51 Sqn & a great bloke.:ok:
'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

fixinflyback
15th Jun 2009, 19:47
I would like to add my condolences to the two families involved in this tragic loss. Hopefully, both families can take some comfort from knowing that they are in the thoughts and prayers of many people tonight. Those who knew Mike know what a true gentlemen he was, as well as a fantastic boss, with time for everybody. I'm sure I speak for all those who served under him on 51 that he will be sadly missed. RIP

Wings1
15th Jun 2009, 20:10
I don't normally feel the need to join the throng publicly and prefer my own thoughts on these matters but I am shocked and enormously saddened at seeing Mike's name. I had the honour and complete privilege of serving with Mike for 2 happy, happy years in the USA with lots of good days and plenty of merry evenings. He was a gentleman of the first order with a great brain and a ready smile, truly one of life's nice guys. My sincerest condolences to the wonderful family at this sad time - Jan and I feel a great sense of loss. You were lousy at golf Mike - we all were but like with everything else, you never gave up. See you later mate. RIP

FJJP
15th Jun 2009, 20:30
Dreadfully upset at the news - I spent a couple of happy years serving with him. First rate pilot and a true gentleman.

RiP Mike, see you later...

deltahotel
15th Jun 2009, 21:01
Bugger bugger bugger. MB my CFI when first arrived at OUAS Autumn 77. Sent me solo on the Bulldog in dec 77, dual - solo sector recce dec 77, BHT jun 78. Full circle - I've done my quota of first solos etc and now have the pleasure and privilege of introducing other peoples' sons and daughters to aviation at 7AEF.

You always hope it's not someone you knew, liked and respected, but at the same time know that it's still someone's son/husband/brother/daughter/wife/lover and someone is suffering.

Plenty of dust in Lincs at the moment. Glass of red to you and yours, Mike. Thoughts to the family and friends of both.

RIP

DH

SimonRG10
15th Jun 2009, 21:44
The names of the deceased have just been announced on the BBC evening news.

I knew Mike Blee from my time on ULAS, when he was the CFI, back in the mid 80s, and flew with him on several occassions. I will always remember him as a super person.

I also knew Nick Rice, the cadet who was killed. I am service helper at Elvian School CCF in Reading. I was on the ranges with Nick on Saturday and remember him coming over to thank me in the car park on Saturday afternoon for having had a great day shooting. On Sunday he was off to Benson for AEF flying- we all know what happened.

I was priveleged to be in the school assembly this morning when the awful news was broken officialy to all the students at the school, and we said some prayers for those involved, and tonight, when we held our normal parade night. Several of the cadets had been with Nick at Benson when the crash occured and some were flying at the time, so were well aware of the accident. We spent this evening putting together some words of tribute about Nick, which hopefully will be published in due course.

What an awful waste.

Prayers and best wishes to both families, and to the many others who are affected by this tragedy.

Plodin Along
15th Jun 2009, 21:58
On behalf of Mikes family, thanks again for your messages, I will ensure they are seen by the family.

Our thoughts are very much with all those involved.

PA

Flying_Anorak
15th Jun 2009, 22:31
As a glider pilot in the air at the time and having just returned from the Kingsclere area via Abingdon, I don't think I'll ever forget the moment I heard the radio call.

My sincere condolences to all concerned.

RIP

flipster
15th Jun 2009, 22:46
Mike was a true gent of the skies and a great mentor; Heaven's gain is our loss. Condolences to Bev and family.

Flip

pipistrelle
16th Jun 2009, 01:35
I was fortunate to be on Mike's crew (120) for a few years in the 80's. My memories of MB are of a great boss who always had a twinkle in his eye and with his dry sense of humour made the most onerous tasks bearable. Such a sad loss, my thoughts to Bev and family at this terrible time.

Thud_and_Blunder
16th Jun 2009, 10:51
From the pilot of Helimed 24 that day, may I add my condolences to the families who've lost 2 very special people? It was a very thoughtful, reflective crew who flew back to the same dispersal the Tutor had departed from not long before; everyone involved has my deepest sympathy.

VinRouge
16th Jun 2009, 14:09
Sincere condolences to all involved.

As an aside, I really, really hope the MOD or other external agencies put on counselling for the kids involved in this (IE cadets there on the day). I was involved in a similar situation a few years back (14 at the time, air cadet) and didnt fully recover until I had counselling.... 7 years later.

7 years of survivors guilt isnt something I would wish on my worst enemy. :(

Daf Hucker
16th Jun 2009, 15:54
A sad day. Mike was an excellent Sqn Boss, always accessible and open. He was on top form at a recent 51 Association dinner at Waddington. He will be sorely missed.

Mystic Greg
16th Jun 2009, 16:28
Really devasting to see the news reported about Mike, who sent me on my first solo from his position as ULAS CFI. Met him on a few occasions during his later career - a true gentleman and a real pleasure to work with. Ghastly news about the air cadet too. Condolences to both families.

Prangster
16th Jun 2009, 17:29
My heart goes out to all concerned, losing life in this way is never easy but when a youngster is involved it becomes all the more devastating.

teeteringhead
16th Jun 2009, 17:38
Shared an office many years ago with "Bertie" Blee on a ground tour ... a real gentleman, who was genuinely surprised when he was a. Promoted and b. Got 51.

"Thought I might just get a BFTS CFI job if I was very lucky..." was his first response...

Condolences to Bev and the family, our thoughts and prayers are with you. A (large) glass of Jamesons was raised last night ......:(

alfaman100
16th Jun 2009, 18:44
I never knew Mike, but his wife was one of my teachers at school in Abingdon in the late 80s early 90s.
Mrs Blee, knowing that I was an air cadet, used her connections to make sure my work expereince at RAF Abingdon included some flying with 6 AEF... Little things I remember.
Thinking of you Mrs Blee, and your family,
From a former student.

To the family of the air cadet, my sincere condolences to you also.
What a tragic event.

A.

Pete R
16th Jun 2009, 22:47
Very sad to hear of this dreadful accident. I've known Mike since the very early 80's when he did my acceptance ride on CXX - an 8 hour epic over the N. Atlantic followed by a PAR to land over Findhorn Bay at 6 in the morning (Ah those were the days!) and Kath and I last saw him and Bev at the CXX reunion. He was without doubt one of the most respected and capable pilots I have had the honour to know. One of life's consumate professionals, a complete gentleman and a man of honour who also possessed a great sense of humour and a sharp dry wit. A true ambassador for the service, he will be sorely missed by all who knew him and this is a tragic end to a full career in RAF aviation. My deepest sympathy to Bev and family at this sorry time. I would also like to pass on my condolences to the family of the cadet who I know must also be suffering just as much at the moment. I also flew in the AEF and UAS world (indeed it was Mike who informed me of my promotion to take over the reins of "Scotland's Finest") and I realise what a fantastic and inspirational role these outfits fulfill week in week out. Rest in Peace My Friend.

PS I am unfortunately out of the country at the moment and would appreciate it if someone would PM me with details so I may write to Mike's family.

juliarice
16th Jun 2009, 23:13
In reply to Vin Rouge item 30 above, I am Air Cadet Nick Rice's mother and am able to confirm that The Elvian School had counsellors at the school for all the students on Monday morning. Unfortunately, I believe neighbouring schools in Reading who had pupils who had known Nick were not so lucky.

Ivor Fynn
17th Jun 2009, 08:06
Julia,

As an ex Cadet then RAF Pilot and current AEF Pilot, please accept my deepest condolences for your familys loss.

There is nothing like seeing the joy and wonder on these young people's faces when they go flying, that is why so many of us love flying on the AEF.

A very sad time looseing two wonderful people.

Ivor:{:{:{

Union Jack
17th Jun 2009, 08:22
Brave post from a brave lady.

With my condolences

Jack

tantalite
17th Jun 2009, 08:39
I would like to offer my condolences. I served with two Air Forces ours and Rhodesia's, I have lost many friends in air accidents. The comfort is that they died doing something they loved, small comfort but nevertheless true.
How tragic to lose a son so young along with a professional with so much experience, both had so much to live for.
May they rest in peace.

plukey51
17th Jun 2009, 18:16
Hi,

I flew with Mike on many occasions whilst he was on 51 Sqn. He was a lovely man, party animal and an excellent Boss. My condolences to Bev and his family who must be so sad at this time. Mike was a gentleman and will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Regards, Plukey

PS I will have a couple of pints in his memory!!

Jumping_Jack
17th Jun 2009, 21:57
I too was lucky enough to serve with Mike out in Virginia. Happy days out with Mike on the golf course with TBGS (Wings1 you are right, he was a crap golfer but that didn't stop us having a laugh!). I shall always remember Mikes infectious grin and charming ways....as has already been said an absolute gent. I have a great photo of him round our gaff posing with his Retirement Party cake.....just how I shall remember him.

Beverley, we are desperately sorry to hear of your loss.

StiffNose
19th Jun 2009, 01:20
Rats! Another fine professional buys the farm. First met Mike in '86 on ULAS. What a great guy. He later appointed me to my best job in the RAF. At all subsequent meetings I was always struck by how honest and straightforward he was, how he bore his privations with such strength and dignity. What a b*gg*r. Why do the good guys always go first?

Sympathy, obviously, to his cadet's family too.

Wander00
19th Jun 2009, 11:27
Jane and I knew the Blee family at Wyton (I ran Handbrake House). In my time I have also been an RAF pilot, and ACLO, a VR(T) Officer and a CCF cadet. We were both so sad to hear of the death of Mike and his pupil. Mike was at his best passing on his enthusiasm and love for flying in all its aspects. He and Beverlie were also great company (don't mention the fondue night!). Our sincerest condolences to both families - we raised a glass or two with friends on Tuesday. So sadly accidents do happen, but hopefully no one will suggest stopping AEF air experience flying.

Ian Gawn

Plodin Along
20th Jun 2009, 20:51
Mike's funeral will be held on Monday 6th July, actual time to still be confirmed but it will be in the afternoon at RAF Benson.

Anyone who knew Mike and wishes to attend is more than welcome to do so.

Anyone wishing to make any donations please do so to either Hedley Court or RAF Benevolent Fund.

For any further information please do not hesitate in contacting me

PA

Plodin Along
24th Jun 2009, 15:07
Mike’s confirmed Funeral details are as follows:-

Monday 6th July 2009 at RAF Benson. Anyone attending could they please be there for 1200hrs where transport to the church has been organised. THERE IS NO PARKING AVAILABLE AT THE CHURCH ITSELF. Full Military Service, uniforms, medals etc....

Anyone one wishing to go could you please contact the station adj. on 01491 827 099 so they can have a rough idea of numbers attending.

Donations will be for Headley Court and/or RAF Benevolent Fund.

Those wishing to donate to Headley Court by cheque please make them payable to "SFAS DMRC Headley Court", please write on back of the cheques "Patients Welfare Fund". For those attending there will be a collection box in the Mess.

Any further enquiries do not hesitate in PM me.

PA

Guido
25th Jun 2009, 16:36
Has Beverly indicated whether or not serving officers are in uniform with medals?

fincastle84
25th Jun 2009, 16:46
Phone the Adjutant as per PA's message.

Plodin Along
25th Jun 2009, 18:37
Guido,

Sorry forgot to put that in, full mil service, uniform, medals etc...

PA

juliarice
30th Jun 2009, 10:30
I reply to Wander00's comment "..hopefully no one will suggest stopping AEF air experience flying".

I would like to add the following quotation from the school's magazine, printed back in 1991. As Nick's mother, this seems to me to embody what the CCF and the opportunity for air experience flights are all about.

"... However, I am certain that the boys who have remained in the corps for a number of years are better persons than they would have been if they had never joined. In 1987, Brigadier Hume made a report on the CCF movement to the MOD. He said 'The CCF provides a means to help youngsters to know themselves: it teaches leadership, team spirit and the qualities of good citizenship. It provides adventure and challenge where often a pupil who may not be the greatest success in the classroom or on the playing field achieves success in the Corps in one aspect or another' ".

Despite losing our beautiful son in this terrible way, I know that encouraging him to join the CCF, and later its RAF arm, gave Nick a stream of wonderful experiences which, even with the awful knowledge we now have, we would never have denied him.

In conclusion, neither Nick's father nor I would support any call to cancel or restrict AEF air experience flights for cadets.

Julia Rice

Wander00
30th Jun 2009, 16:11
You and your family have our sincerest condolences. We have sons of 36, 35 and 20. For medical reasons the latter might not have been here and we have always treated him as here on trust,- but we have always taken our responsibility "to provide roots to grow and wings to fly". He ended up as the hockey goalie, rugby winger and ocean sailor! We cannot begin to understand how you and your family feel having lost your son. However, you have our overwhelming admiration for your philosophy regarding Nick's sadly shortened life, and for what you have written - we are in France but with friends visting on Monday we will drink to Nick and Mike Blee's lives and achievements and send our love to you all - Jane and Ian

Wander00

FJJP
1st Jul 2009, 00:33
I retired from the Royal Air Force after 37 years of happy service, including flying Chipmunk AEF aircraft at various locations.

I joined the RAF after some 7 years of Air Training Corps time in various locations in Scotland and Northern Ireland. In my time I ended up cold, wet, tired and hungry but wouldn't have missed it for the world. You haven't lived until you have been half way up a mountain, in the pouring rain, no fire, opening tins of stewing steak, peas and beans and eating them cold! Feast for a king!

The ATC/CCF is a wonderful way for yoof to experience life different from home and school - they get a chance to experience so many things, including camping, various visits, flying, both gliding and powered, DofE, not to mention learning discipline and interaction with others.

A great start to life...

The Poison Dwarf
10th Aug 2009, 15:07
Only found out about Mike's sad demise recently, what a shock, I was with him on 120 in the early '80s and Bev and Mrs Dwarf were good friends, sadly, we lost touch in later years.

So many good people gone in recent years, while the oxygen thieves seem to prosper endlessly.

Our fondest thoughts to Bev and family.

Also, though we never knew him, to the family of Nick Rice.

TPD