PDA

View Full Version : Civilian instructor opportunities in UK mil?

Alex H
15th Jun 2009, 11:36
Hello,

I'm a JAR ATPL, FI(A), with CRI (multi-engine instructor) and IRI (Instrument Rating Instructor) ratings, and type-rated on Citation jet. I recently sent off CV to DEFTS at Barkston Heath asking if my quals would be acceptable to work there as a civilian FI, and they replied in the affirmative but that unfortunately there were currently no vacancies.

I am therefore asking here if there are any other little niches like DEFTS around the services where my qualifications might be of use? I expect the answer will be no, but I'd just like to know for sure before I give up completely on the idea! I am ex-UAS and ex-TA, greatly regret not having joined the services when I was still under the age-limits, so I know that I would enjoy the lifestyle.

Madbob
15th Jun 2009, 12:58
What about FRADU? It used to be Airwork but I've lost track of the contractor but there are Falcon 20's on civil register. It may be that you need a military flying pedigree but worth a call. Yeovilton is a nice part of the world :ok:and the flying is fun too, or so I led to believe...

MB

Low Ball
15th Jun 2009, 13:08
Also try the flying Grading Flight at Middle Wallop staffed by Babcocks

LB

airborne_artist
15th Jun 2009, 13:24
VT Group - VT Aerospace (http://www.vtplc.com/Ouroperations/VTSupportServices/VTAerospace/) may be of help. They currently run RN Grading at Yeovilton, and are partners in Ascent, who will soon be running all EFT/BFT, I understand.

Pontius Navigator
15th Jun 2009, 19:44
FRADU was Serco a couple of years ago.

L J R
15th Jun 2009, 23:38
....I am currently trying to get an Instructional Job AND AM CURRENTLY IN the Military. Wait your turn mate!

c130jbloke
16th Jun 2009, 06:15
Civvie market dried up has it ?

CirrusF
16th Jun 2009, 07:49
Was there not a time, around 2000-2001, when RAF sub-contracted out a tranche of ME-streamed pilots to do their ME/IR training at a civilian FTO (OATS I think)? What happened to that experiment?

CarltonBrowne the FO
16th Jun 2009, 11:59
When I did my IR at BAe Prestwick in 1995 there were several RAF ME students doing essentially the same course; their graduation test was to be an IRT, but carried out by college standards instructors.
Several of them asked the resident CAAFU examiner if he could come along (for the usual fee of course); he was willing and the plan was set for them to get their CPL/IR issued while still in RAF training. Unfortunately the RAF (I don't know if it was CFS or MEFTS) decided to send examiners along to audit the tests. An extra civilian in the aeroplane would have aroused too much suspicion, so the IR idea was dropped.
I have no idea if the experiment of sending MEFTS students to civilian schools for IR training was continued.

andyy
16th Jun 2009, 12:09
I think there may be some confusion over FRADU - the Fleet Requirements & Air Direction Unit - I believe it to be the Hawk unit at RNAS Culdrose tasked with providing fast jet targets for a variety of roles in support of Naval training. To get a flying job there I'd expect you'd need to be an ex Military Fast Jet Pilot. I think that Serco have the contract to fly & maintain the FRADU Hawks.

Flight Refuelling Aviation Services are based at Bournemoth and fly the Falcon 20s (they may also still have a unit based at Teeside) also in support of military training, in particular they provide EW training and act as the "bomber" for Naval air defence training. A civilian pilot without military flying experience may be able to get work with FR. Contact Flight Refuelling.

FRADU and FR work together on Naval training - in particular the FRADU Hawks often fly in close formation with the FR Falcons to simulate a "bomber" with "missiles" under each wing. The "missiles" (Hawks) are launched and fly an anti-ship missile profile towards RN ships.

kharmael
16th Jun 2009, 12:30
I thought it was just the re-rolers (i.e. Valley choppees) who got sent down to OATS to do the short course?

Tankertrashnav
16th Jun 2009, 16:10
Not quite relevant to the thread but does anyone remember the 1989 scheme to recruit civilian QFIs into the RAFVR to command AEFs and instruct on UASs? A course of 25 was selected, but of these, only one made the grade and qualified. This was one V. Butler, who became a Sqn Ldr RAFVR. One interesting point is that special wings were produced of a similar pattern to RAF wings, but with blue feathers and the letters "VR" replacing "RAF". Sqn Ldr Butler was, I believe, the only pilot to ever wear these wings - there were a lot made and the unissued ones were all disposed of as surplus stores. PM me for a picture of a pair if you are interested in that sort of thing - I'd put it on here but I'm too stupid to work out how to do it.

inverted4
16th Jun 2009, 21:02
Alex H, check your PMs

Ash679
17th Jun 2009, 15:11
Tankertrashnav,

It would appear that the VR AEF pilot scheme (or something like it) is up and running again. A VR(T) Fg Off mate of mine (civvie airline driver during the week, and ex-VGS A2 QGI) is a pilot at a certain AEF not far from Liverpool, and wears the VR wings. Flew with him a couple of weeks ago.

I know that there has been a shortage of AEF pilots over recent years, so much so that a lot of guys are sent to AEFs to hold between BFT, AFT, OCU etc.

Always seemed like a good idea to me, if you have an appropriate chap (or chappess) that can be commissioned into the RAFVR(T), who has the appropriate civvie quals/hours, and can meet the flying standards required by the AEF and/or CFS ...why not?

Cheers
Ash679

Tankertrashnav
17th Jun 2009, 15:28
Thanks for the info Ash - interested to hear that the wings are being worn again.

...who has the appropriate civvie quals/hours, and can meet the flying standards required by the AEF and/or CFS ...why not?

That would appear to be the problem, though. Certainly in the course I referred to above the chop rate was 96% which must have been unprecedented, and certainly discouraging.

airborne_artist
17th Jun 2009, 15:41
the chop rate was 96% which must have been unprecedentedJust as it should be; I passed with eight others out of 273 starters, and 1,200 applicants, with makes a chop rate of 96 and a bit %

They don't take just anybody in the Womens' Auxiliary Balloon Corps, y'know..:ok:

What Limits
17th Jun 2009, 17:01
Also try the flying Grading Flight at Middle Wallop staffed by Babcocks

What is a Babcock?

airborne_artist
17th Jun 2009, 17:04
What is a Babcock?

Seems it's a type of chicken:

Warren Babcock | Moorlands Poultry Supplies | Chicken Coops, Chicken Houses, Hen Houses, Poultry Accessories, Bantams, Hybrid Poultry and Pure Breed Poultry (http://www.moorlandspoultry.co.uk/warren-babcock.html)

http://www.moorlandspoultry.co.uk/ximages/livestock/warren-babcock.jpg

CirrusF
17th Jun 2009, 17:22
Just as it should be; I passed with eight others out of 273 starters, and 1,200 applicants, with makes a chop rate of 96 and a bit %

They don't take just anybody in the Womens' Auxiliary Balloon Corps, y'know..http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Stop bigging yourself up - you only did TA selection, and in southern softies summer..

airborne_artist
17th Jun 2009, 19:12
southern softies summer..

Indeed, blizzards and 12" of snow in two hours on the Brecons are common most summers now, I believe. Weekend three, IIRC :ok: