PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways - puzzles and mysteries

Gibon2
15th Jun 2009, 11:04
Just back from a trip from Geneva to Manila, via Doha on Qatar Airways economy class. On the whole, by cattle class standards, a pretty good experience: reasonable legroom, comfortable seats, efficient and courteous service from friendly cabin crew, food mostly very good, all flights on time. This is clearly an airline with a future. But I have some questions, if any QR folks here would care to comment:

1. On the flight from Manila to Doha (a 777-300ER), I was assigned seat 5A. This turned out to be a business-class seat - but it wasn't an upgrade as such, it just seemed that they'd decided to fill one of the business class cabins with eco passengers. We got the eco meals and service, etc. No complaints at all - it was very pleasant, and the seat and space are all I'm interested in in business class anyway - but I'm wondering if this is standard practice on some routes, if it's possible to know in advance, and how they decide who gets the nice seats?

2. What's the story with Doha airport? I mean, seriously, what is that about? No airbridges, and for some reason the long-haul planes are parked on the far side of the main runway, necessitating an interminable bus trip all the way around the end and back again. The terminal, with no planes nearby, resembles a lonely shopping mall in the desert - only without the shops. More like a glass and steel bus station. All gleaming and new, except for the toilets which are battered, cracked and filthy. Why? Why spend billions on shiny planes, excellent staff, global route network, etc - and have that miserable shed at the centre of it all?

3. The IFE wasn't working at all for the Manila-Doha flight. I don't care, because I generally prefer to read or sleep, but I have to wonder about the economics of the thing. This is not just QR - it seems that on every carrier with AVOD, there are major problems on every third or fourth flight. Is it worth it? Are the manufacturers being battered by lawsuits? Has the technology just been stretched too far?

4. The flight from Doha back to Geneva was on an A319 (on the way out it had been an A330). Is this common? If so, please reconsider - 6.5 hours is way too long to be cooped up in one of those, no matter how good the service.

Thanks for any comments.

apaddyinuk
21st Jun 2009, 18:21
1/....Not sure the reasons behind selling the J seats as Y, you may have just been lucky but hey, dont knock it! LOL! BA occassionaly use First seats for J on certain routes when a 4 class 777 ends up on a route normally plied by a higher capacity 3 class!

2/....Doha airport is a sh1t hole and always has been regardless of how many extensions they put on the thing. However if you think it is bad now you should have seen it 4 years ago. Qatar Airways has expanded far too fast for the airport to cope. When I worked for the airline between 2002 and 2003 there was always enough space for the aircraft to park on the stands immediately adjacent to the terminal on the terminal side of the runway. The area where you parked was then occupied by the USAF anyways. But dont worry, a brand new airport to mirror that of HKG is being constructed just to the north of the current airport. NDIA (http://www.ndiaproject.com/)

3/....AVOD is only as good as the mechanics that service it and the crew that are using it. If either of the two screw up then its no movies for you I am afraid! It is a brilliant system when it does work but on just about every flight (now my current airline uses the Rockwell Collins AVOD system which I personally think is rubbish) there are always at least half a dozen seats that will have something wrong with them!!! The problem is that AVOD is now part of the customers expectations and failure to install it may mean failure to attract any passengers from the competition!

4/....I was very unfortunate to be one of the crew that operated the very first long haul flight on QRs A319's and I must admit it was not received well by the passengers. Having said that the service was better and it is economical! If QR did not have that A319 they may not be on the GVA route as it is just too thin to operate a daily widebody service! BA are about to launch a A318 transatlantic operation....albeit in an all business class config!LOL!

Hope those answer a few of your qualms! I personally would never pay to fly Qatar as although I loved my time down there, I dont agree with its treatment of its employees or its managements leader! But lets not make this a political post! LOL!

Gibon2
23rd Jun 2009, 12:48
Thanks APIUK for your interesting response. I have heard other murmurings about QR's poor treatment of staff, but it is not at all in evidence on board: the CC were without exception cheerful, good-natured, helpful and efficient. A case of "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen"? Or is turnover so high that we only see fresh, enthusiastic, yet-to-be-disillusioned crew?

apaddyinuk
24th Jun 2009, 12:34
Your last sentence summed it up! LOL!