PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Syringes and Drugs

Gordon17
15th Jun 2009, 08:33
My wife has been prescribed some drugs that have to be injected every other day.
During the period that she will be taking them we have 2 trips booked - one to Canada with BA, and one to Germany with Ryanair.
Can anyone help with how we'll be able to carry the needles and drugs?

Thanks

Posted in CC and SLF

Brian H
15th Jun 2009, 08:56
I regularly fly with prescription drugs in a separate plastic box inside my hand luggage, and always take a copy of my repeat prescription from my GP, and have never had any problems, A year ago I was having to give myself weekly injections, and my GP gave me a letter stating that it was necessary for me to carry the syringes. I put them in a clear plastic bag and had no problem at airport security, they never even asked to see the letter.

Dit
15th Jun 2009, 09:19
The main reason everyone gets frustrated with Airport Security is they can be very inconsistent with their rules.

To be on the safe side I'd probably try and time it so you took the medication the morning of the flight, that way if they absolutly will not let you through with part/all of the medication and syringes, then you have time at the other end to sort it out.

If you have family/friends at the other end, you could always have them ask their local GP the proceedure if you got their requiring a prescription.

Having said that, I believe you'll almost certainly get it all through. You may also be able to write/email the airline before hand, trying to get written permission from them too.

lexxity
15th Jun 2009, 10:14
Take all your medication in a seperate bag/box along with a copy of the prescription and a docs letter and you'll be fine. I suggest carrying all you'll need for the trip with you in your handluggage just in case your bag goes walkabouts. I have never seen a passenger refused carriage of their prescription meds (incl. syringes) in over 7 years of working for an airline.

Enjoy your trips. :ok:

Jarvy
15th Jun 2009, 11:58
My brother-in-law flew with me from LHR to BOS with his syringes and drugs in a clear plastic bag along with his perscription and a letter from his GP. He is a type1 diabetic and had no problems at all.

Gordon17
16th Jun 2009, 11:13
Thanks everyone - sounds as if it shouldn't be too much hassle.

OFSO
16th Jun 2009, 16:13
My wife flies every few weeks on Ryanair, carrying steroids, saline solution and needles in case of an asthma attack. She used to show the pack I made up for her, including prescription, to the security staff but now doesn't bother - and nobody has ever asked her what the needles are in her case, during a scan.

ExXB
18th Jun 2009, 18:55
I'm a T1 diabetic, for over 30 years. I've once been challenged over my Insulin at that time simply involved the security guy walking me down to my gate and giving my 'pen' to the gate agent. As soon as he disappeared around a corner the gate agent gave it back to me simply rolling her eyes.

One thing to be careful of though is ice. At Heathrow the other day the lady in front of me had some medicine that needed to be kept cold. They poured out the ice, and pointed her in the direction of the nearest restaurant and told her she could get some more there.

If cooling is an issue - try these guys. (http://www.friouk.com) I've used their products for years and keeps things cool - not cold.

onboard
19th Jun 2009, 08:00
This seems like a good opportunity to point out to those having to use syringes on a plane to please not just throw them into the trash. Before you do so, please ensure that the tip is covered.
I recently had a passenger ram one up their hand whilst trying to recover her watch which had fallen into the trash bin.
Also, if any of your personal posessions fall into the trash, please contact one of us crew, as we can pull out the trash bin and also provide you with gloves.