PDA

View Full Version : "A Lack of Cover" - Press Outrage at MOD

ORAC
15th Jun 2009, 07:06
Grauniad: A lack of cover (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/15/afghanistan-embedded-journalists-mod)

The deaths of British soldiers in Afghanistan are not being given prominence in the press because the MoD is restricting access to conflict zones, making truth a casualty of war, says frontline correspondent Stephen Grey

Thirteen British soldiers died last month in Helmand province, Afghanistan. Their deaths were reported, for the most part, in small paragraphs on the inside pages of newspapers. Why? Because journalists find it almost impossible to reach and report from the frontline of the conflict. When the Royal Marines launched a fierce hand-to-hand battle last Christmas in the muddy poppy fields of central Helmand, four soldiers died - but the only news that escaped was a press release from the Ministry of Defence.

As in so many wars, truth seems to be the first casualty of this conflict. There has been a devastating breakdown of relations between many defence correspondents and officialdom, journalists say. "Dealing with the Ministry of Defence is genuinely more stressful than coming under fire," says the Telegraph's defence correspondent, Thomas Harding. "We have been lied to and we have been censored."

Manipulated access

Despite the risk of being blacklisted and refused access to report from the frontline, journalists are speaking out about what they say is the government's attempt to control the news. It is "lamentable", says one Fleet Street foreign editor; the Times correspondent Anthony Loyd describes it as "outrageous"; Christina Lamb of the Sunday Times calls it "indefensible"; it is "redolent of Comical Ali", says the Sun's defence editor, Tom Newton Dunn.

Almost all journalists travelling with British forces are ordered to email their copy to the military's press officers in Helmand before publication. Many fear that negative coverage could mean trips back to the frontline are cancelled or delayed.

At the root of tensions between media and the MoD is the nature of the conflict in southern Afghanistan. The war in Helmand is so intense, so dangerous and so rural that covering it independently is almost impossible for any white western journalist. Most reporters travel as "embeds" (there are only four or five slots available a month for national newspaper journalists); the way these trips are allocated, and the conditions imposed, contribute to fraught relations.

"They manipulate the parcelling-out of embeds to suit their own ends," says Harding. "They use it as a form of punishment to journalists who are off-message or critical of strategy or tactics."

Earlier this year, a trip of Harding's to Helmand was cancelled, he said, because of "helicopter shortages". He later heard privately from a press officer that it had more to do with his campaign against the army's continued use of the Snatch Land Rover, and his tough questions to the chief of joint operations. Another reporter had a trip blocked after writing a critical feature about conditions for army soldiers.

The Foreign Office, the Department for International Development and Cabinet Office - who all have members sitting on a committee called the Media Management Group, which regulates who gets what trips out to the battlegrounds - all "want coverage of (non-existent) reconstruction and tree-hugging", according to Newton Dunn. "Downing Street and the Foreign Office are incredibly restrictive about what comes out of Afghanistan," he adds.

Nick Gurr, the MoD's director of media and communications, denies there are penalties on journalists who write anything critical. "You only have to look at who we bring out to see how determined we are to engage with everyone," he says. And he does have something of a point - critics of army tactics including Harding, Loyd and even myself do get asked back. Al-Jazeera is offered occasional embeds.

But when a journalist manages to reach the war zone, many describe their frustration at the low priority given to getting them out to the frontline, as well as sometimes relentless control by "minders".

Lamb was one of the first to report close-up on fighting in Helmand, when she was caught in an ambush in the summer of 2006. She was "effectively blacked" for two years, only returning in September 2008. The new slot she was given meant she saw no frontline action. "I was told quite candidly the main priority was Tom Newton Dunn of the Sun, not me."

The Guardian's James Meek, embedded in Helmand in 2006, says he was allowed to speak freely, and had no problems with minders. However, he was sent to a relatively quiet zone, and his requests to visit bases where soldiers were engaged in combat were refused. "I was told quite candidly that the priority was the tabloids and television because it was important for recruitment," he says.

Vetoed copy

The government's media strategy seems to be based mainly around "the Sun and an EastEnders actor", says the Fleet Street foreign editor I interviewed, referring to Ross Kemp, who made two TV series in Helmand. Newton Dunn, however, says he is equally frustrated: "I can get out only once a year, and only through kicking and screaming."

If reporters do get a story, they are still controlled by the MoD, thanks to the Green Book - a contract drawn up jointly by the ministry and media organisations' editors designed to give maximum press freedom while preserving operational security ("Opsec"). Its application, however, angers some reporters. In practice, they say, the Green Book is sometimes used to pressure them into removing facts that are merely embarrassing or politically inconvenient.

In Helmand, journalists say embeds are required to email their copy to the ministry's press information centre before sending it on to their own newsdesks, though Gurr insists there is no Green Book requirement that copy be sent to the centre; it could also, he says, be vetted by people in charge on the frontline. "There are no hard and fast rules here," Gurr adds.

Loyd describes filing a piece from the town of Musa Qala, describing British reaction to the appointment of a new police commander - a man known for profiting from the drugs trade and beating a local person to death. Loyd quoted a British officer saying they did not want the commander appointed, but Hamid Karzai, the president of Afghanistan, had insisted. The press information centre told Loyd they did not approve of the quote. "They told me I had got to remove what the officer had said," Loyd says. "Later, they admitted it was a Foreign Office press officer who had seen the copy and did not approve, for political reasons. It was outrageous."

Newton Dunn says he was asked on one occasion to remove details of how a soldier died - not for security reasons, but so as not to upset the family. "I described how a soldier died a hero, died fighting. It wasn't graphic. And it turned out no one in the family had actually been asked if they objected."

Gurr insists there are many times when serious Opsec "breaches" have put people in danger - for example, the publication of photographs showing the faces of interpreters, or the publication of the date of British troops' handover of control in Basra. "You have to realise, the strongest advocate for allocating more access is the Ministry of Defence," he says.

But when I was filing an article from Helmand about a failed poppy-eradication programme last year, I was told that "the Foreign Office objects to your story". This seemed like a straightforward abuse of a system designed to avoid the accidental publication of details that could put soldiers in greater danger.

Kim Sengupta, defence correspondent for the Independent, is one of the few journalists who reports little untoward about his treatment from the MoD. He says he has no experience of attempts to interfere with his writing. "If you embed, you accept the obvious situation that you are with the forces," he says. "You are not going to get the full picture."

At the MoD, press officers are aware of many journalists' frustrations. One says they spend "most of our time trying to persuade the military to grant more access". Journalists, however, say army units are eager to host them, and it is "London" keeping the media away.

The vast number of media outlets mean national newspaper journalists and television reporters are not the only ones trying to visit the war zone, says Gurr. In the year to April, 112 journalists were sent to Afghanistan (including 48 from national newspapers) and 134 to Iraq.

MoD officials and soldiers on the ground have their own complaints about reporters - mainly about those who are unfit for the rigours of frontline action. In Helmand, marines told me of a celebrated TV cameraman who was so out of shape that he needed help carrying his own camera. One journalist nearly died last year after collapsing on patrol in the mid-summer heat; the military argued he had been unfit and ill-prepared. US soldiers had to risk mines and booby-trapped bombs in driving across an uncleared area to rescue the reporter.

But beyond the gripes of both sides about access and suitability, the key point, say journalists, is that the MoD is controlling them in order to convey what senior officers refer to as the "official narrative" of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. In the absence of sufficient independent access to Helmand, news organisations are often willing to use interviews with soldiers gathered by army press officers, or video shot by the MoD's Combat Camera Team.

The result, says Harding, is clear. "We have constantly been told that everything is fluffy and good - and we, and the public, have been lied to."

Gurr, however, says the military should not conduct internal debates in public during a war. "I don't think commanders should be saying it's all **** and it's all getting worse ... We have to sustain the morale of people on operations."

Newton Dunn emphasises the honesty of soldiers and commanders on the ground. It is the ministries, he says, who should lighten up: for all their efforts, they will never be able to stop bad news getting out. "Once the MoD realise they can't control the message, they will have a chance of success."

AQAfive
15th Jun 2009, 14:17
I think that merely demonstrates the naivety of the press who consider the whole world should stop for them. Their desire to make every encounter like a Hollywood movie often detracts from the truth.

Yes our lords and masters may not want you to know the truth, but on balance it is better that way. Not everybody fights a war according to a set of rules, and genuine mistakes are made.

For every reporter who is objective and sensible there are several who's only interest is the next 'scoop' and care little about the consequences.

minigundiplomat
15th Jun 2009, 15:07
The inclusion of quotes by Newton-Dunn queered the pitch from the outset, as he is a total pr1ck and only interested in sensationalism as indicated by the previous poster.

Newton-Dunn should stick to photographing Jordan's upper thighs when she gets out of a car rather than attempting to masquerade as a serious defence correspondent.

Other than that, I dont hold much of a view.

clicker
15th Jun 2009, 16:30
Seem to recall that this was also a problem in the Falklands war from various books I read. No doubt its happened in every conflict since so its not new.

BEagle
15th Jun 2009, 16:56
Much sport was to be had at the end of GW1 when various journos appeared from the UK - best fun was giving their MoD-minder the slip!

"OK chaps - now that we've given Goebbels the slip, ask away!"

Sun Who
15th Jun 2009, 17:45
The throw away line:

"Dealing with the Ministry of Defence is genuinely more stressful than coming under fire,"

says it all for me.

War is not conducted for the benefit of the press. Whilst the public have every right to know how, when and why brave men and women are dying 'in their name', they have no right to know as a form of entertainment.

I remember being close by during an 'exchange' between Kate Adie and a RAF Sqn Cmdr where she was told she could not use the footage her team had recorded whilst airborne over the Adriatic. The obscenities that resulted said more about her fit of pique than about her determination to get to the truth (whatever that is).

Sun.

Two's in
15th Jun 2009, 18:18
"We have been lied to and we have been censored."

Some two-bit hack whining and bitching about being lied to - if that is not the definition of irony, I don't know what is.

Toddington Ted
15th Jun 2009, 20:17
"I remember being close by during an 'exchange' between Kate Adie and a RAF Sqn Cmdr where she was told she could not use the footage her team had recorded whilst airborne over the Adriatic. The obscenities that resulted said more about her fit of pique than about her determination to get to the truth (whatever that is)."
I was not present but I understand from someone who was that the "exchange" occurred because the footage taken when airborne needed to be cleared for OPSEC by the media ops staff, just as it would be today. When Kate disagreed vehemently and blew her top the "minder" just waited as he knew she, like all journalists, would be up against a deadline and would have to give in to make the deadline. So she grudgingly agreed, the footage went out and there was a good piece on the telly, starting with a description of the E3D, "This aircraft is the Queen Bee in a hive of activity..." etc. When London came back with "Kate, Darling, that was lovely..." etc, she offered to take the E3D crew out for a meal, to which they replied with a number of alleged obscenities.... or so I was told!

"Some two-bit hack whining and bitching about being lied to - if that is not the definition of irony, I don't know what is." This is a view many have of journalists and they may well have good reason to think that way. However, Stephen Grey is not a two-bit hack, neither is Anthony Loyd I can assure you. Mr Newton -Dunn is an interesting character but it's important when asking these people whose side they're on that the answer will be from them, "We are on our side." If we don't engage with them they will make it up.

"The role of the media in society is to bear witness" - discuss.

I won't bore you to death with my relatively trivial experiences of media ops in theatre at the moment but, as a bluntie, I found it both fascinating and relentless. However, compared to what most Service personnel have to do in their daily round in theatre, my experiences are pretty insignificant to say the least. That said, I was glad of the chance to go (and, more importantly, come back). The fact is, we live in an instant media world whether we like it or not.

Sun Who
15th Jun 2009, 20:28
Toddington,
An accurate version of the events surrounding Kate Adie and the E3D crew except, I don't remember being invited out for a meal.

Sun.

recce_FAC
15th Jun 2009, 21:42
We had an Independant reporter with us in Afghan a few months ago(he had an asian name) Anyway this guy was a top bloke, he knew the score as he had been on ''military'' type reporting for a number of years and had just returned from the Gaza strip. No ego's, plenty of banter and was very on side with what he didn't report. Upmost respect for the guy however I am still waiting for my bottle of scotch due to me winning the sweep stake on how many minutes from leaving the FOB would we be in contact.I won, it was a shame IV SQN had just checked out otherwise Mr Paveway 4 would have been in the Independant instead of the Gurkhas !

Toddington Ted
16th Jun 2009, 04:56
Recce FAC. If it was the Independent, I expect the reporter was Kim Sengupta. He came out to Helmand when I was there in Winter 2007. A very knowledgeable chap.

Caractacus
16th Jun 2009, 05:44
We're back to Alistair Campbell's press strategy. Give the press access if they offer favourable reporting. It's basic manipulation of people. A technique used by a Government that has always been on it's own agenda.

People don't really know why we are in Afghanistan or what we are acheiving for our country by being there. Our chaps lives are being lost to suit some grubby politicans agenda and it stinks.

CirrusF
16th Jun 2009, 07:33
I see the biggest problem of "embedding" journalists is that we never - or very rarely- get to see the war reported from the other side.

parabellum
16th Jun 2009, 11:20
In 1966 my brother was blown up and killed by (ex British Mk.V mines), about fifty miles west of Aden, I was a bit miffed that nothing showed in the press until about a week later, then about two lines in the Times and Telegraph, nothing more, hardly appropriate for someone who had given their very young life, I thought.
I was a serving soldier at the time and it was explained to me that had they immediately announced my brothers death it could have compromised the rest of the patrols situation and recovery as they were now fifty miles West of Aden, very shaken and without their OC, an ideal time for the enemy to attack a very lightly armoured patrol.

Even after the patrol was safe I don't think three or four lines in the national press was enough to acknowledge my brother's very untimely death but in those days Harold Wilson called the shots and we all now know what a devious, treacherous toss pot he was.

Tappers Dad
16th Jun 2009, 14:02
Just to balance this thread we heard a Nimrod had crashed on the BBC at 6pm on 2nd Sept 2006. We then made frantic phone calls and the waiting to find out if Ben was onboard the a/c that crashed.

It was an hour and a half later when we had the knock on the door.

I feel it would have been better if we had been told by the RAF before we saw it on television.so I do feel that the families should be told and given time to come to terms with it before it appears in the media.
I don't know to this day how many other Nimrod families sat waiting for news that night but it was a really bad time.

We spoke to the BBC World Service about that knock on the door night.
BBC World Service - Programmes - Fighting for Ben (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/2009/06/090604_outlook_benknight.shtml)

FJJP
16th Jun 2009, 16:33
Sitting in the Cottesmore Ops Room watching Sky News to be told that a Harrier had crashed up north.

Two mins later, pilot's wife telephoned us to tell us that her husband had ejected and was safe with a sore back!

Oh the power of modern communications - first thing he did after shedding his parachute was to phone the wife to let her know he was ok! Didn't stop the next 20 calls from Harrier pilots' wives/girlfriends/mums & dads, etc...

recce_FAC
16th Jun 2009, 21:43
The very same chap, he was with our FST for 2 nights, deep in the GZ south of Garmsir. Bloody hell could he snore. Very Very impressed by the bloke,a pro at the game.

Grimweasel
16th Jun 2009, 22:20
Kim Sengupta is both a top bloke and a genuine gentleman in all respects. Had quite a few dealings with him and he reports honestly, candidly and most of all within the bounds of 'opsec' etc - he's a true pro and very well respected.

Newton-Dunn is a 'charmer' - he's just doing his job - he needs to sell papers but mostly he's on side after a few negative incidents left him with sour looks from a few units for a while.

Tom Harding loves to tell all about his days in the TA and still thinks he's the ultimate soldier - but he has alerted the government and senior officers of the day to day plights of the soldier- I mean, Snatch was fine for initial Iraq days but as soon as the insurgents switched on to its lack of protection it should have been withdrawn! His constant battle against Snatch would have gone a long way to nudging the government into buying MASTIFF/Bulldog/Vector etc.

Deborah Haynes is OK too, very onside and a good looker too!!

Nick Gurr - tube; nuff said. Typical ill informed quango with no credentials of note to back up his credibility in the position. DGMC; Director General Meaningless Chaff.

Only my opinion of course!

Toddington Ted
17th Jun 2009, 07:46
Grimweasel, I think your post is pretty well spot on there.