PDA

View Full Version : FAA Commercial Training for UK resident

ERETHERE
14th Jun 2009, 21:02
Hi All,

Could anybody advise that if gaining a full FAA Commercial / ATP qualification where they would be able to work in terms of countries? I know the route to transfer a licence to JAA, but what about other authorities for example UAE, Australia etc. It seems a little confusing. My PPL is an FAA one and I don't wish to change it to the JAA qualification.

Also, is the FAA licence classed as an ICAO one?

Any comments or PM's are most welcome, and if any FAA pilots have any advice for an aspiring FAA commercial pilot it would be much appreciated.

I have nothing against the JAA system, I am just more comfortable under the FAA system.

Many thanks.

Bealzebub
15th Jun 2009, 01:23
The problem is a little wider than that.

Most countries have no particular shortage of low houred commercial pilots. As such obtaining a work permit is likely to preclude most places.

The FAA is obviously an aviation authority for the United States of America and its overseas territories (I think there are 6.) Virtually every country on Earth is a signatory to the ICAO. There are less than a handful that are not. Obviously the USA and all of the JAA member nations are signatories.

Some countries align their own national requirements to those of foreign authorities, and as such, terms for conversion to their own national licence or for a permit /waiver may require minimal additional testing or training.

An FAA licence in many jurisdictions outside of the USA is not going to be particularly useful to you, unless you have sufficient levels of requisite experience that might be sought within that jurisdiction, or you are a citizen of that jurisdiction seeking to convert the license.

Ultimately an FAA licence for somebody based 12 miles south of Manchester England, isn't going to be a great deal of use practically. A UK citizen seeking to work overseas with an FAA licence, is going to find the market severly limited unless they can offer significant levels of experience that might be in demand in a foreign country even where a similar system is employed. If you turn the argument on it's head. Imagine a US citizen decides to obtain a basic UK/JAA commercial licence with 250 hours in order to work in a country that either has or aligns to a JAA licensing system. What would be their realistic prospects?

You may have nothing against the JAA system, and be more comfortable with the FAA system, but so what? How is that going to help you unless you plan on living and working in the USA?

ERETHERE
16th Jun 2009, 01:22
Thanks for your reply, I will give your points much thought.