PDA

View Full Version : G1000 / Diamond a/c

pablo
14th Jun 2009, 18:20
Hi guys!

well... despite this seems to be place for big shiny jets... yet I come again to make some noise about those light prop a/c :}

I'm instructing at the moment in Diamond a/c with glass cockpit G1000. (well... at least it's EFIS :E)

I was wondering if you guys were aware of any websites, study guides, etc... that could be of use for the G1000 system. I already have the official guide, etc... but it's always nice to have another point of view.

A little bit the same about the Diamond a/c. If you guys know about any website, flight reviews, study guides, etc... for any of the 20-40-42 models I would be grateful.

Thanks for your help.

Regards / Pablo

Loose rivets
14th Jun 2009, 20:36
That's interesting to know a light aircraft can have a glass cockpit. What standby instruments do you have? And, do you turn the EFIS off to see what the student will do if the fuse blows?

Shaunny
14th Jun 2009, 20:37
Hi there!

Ive instructed on the 42 and I really think its an awesome aircraft to fly!!!

As far as the G1000 goes, Diamond provide a type specific manual (which is the one I assume you have) and they also publish an Instructors Guide along with a cockpit guide which is sort of set out as a QRH type thing. Those have both been a huge amount of help to me uing the aircraft on a day to day basis!!!

Then there is also available a 'simulator' which you install on the desktop and it allows you to fiddle with all the functions before actually climbing into the aircraft. I have found this to be VERY usefull for instruction... especially since the G1000 is not as simple to use as some of the other EFIS systems, although once you understand it its an amaizing system!!!

Now for the useless part of my infomation, I have no idea where to get hold of them... if your school doesnt allready have them maybe try your local Diamond agent or an Avonics shop supplying Garmin stuff may be able to order them.

On the Aircraft themselves Ive never really found any other nice infomation other than the POH, the school I worked for had some internal training stuff although that came almost straight out of the POH and maintance manuals so maybe if anyone knows of anything it would be interesting!! Although I will say if you really want to know the aircraft properly Ive found the maintaince manuals to help MUCH more than the POH as the POH isnt that specific in some places...

Anyway I really love flying those aircraft so enjoy it! :)

pablo
15th Jun 2009, 00:18
hi!

thanks for the complete reply. Yes... I have the pilot's guide which is actually extensive... but as most POH it's... I don't know how to express it... a bit thick.

I agree the G1000 is no big deal, but only after you get used to it.

Diamond... I flew the 42 just once, for my ME/IR renewal. The 40 around 4 times. They are a delight to fly.
Sadly most of my experience comes only from giving sim instruction (around 100hr on both sims)

I was looking mostly for something like smartcockpit.com, a bit more "for pilots by pilots".
But... I'll follow your advice and try to get to see the "QRH" and the maintenance manuals.

For loose rivets...
At least in the DA40/DA42 you have as stby instruments: Airspeed Indicator, Artificial horizon, altimeter and turn coordinator, plus compass.
The A.H. is electrically operated and in case "the fuse blows" it can be operated by an independent battery, which powers as well the flood lights, for 1h30min
(it's funny because on the DA42 you only have 30 mins of engines if the fuse blows :} )

We encourage our students whenever it's VMC to look outside and get their references using the glareshield and fingers, and always really push them to have positional awareness and go back to the Sectional chart in case something goes wrong. (unless we are making hood work)

But nevertheless, IMHO the system is well built, and chances of getting a double screen failure are slim. Both screens/units are identical so in case of failure of screen or even the unit you still have enough capability to work your way forward.
The only problem we have in our DA40 is that they are single alternator (other SE a/c like Cirrus and some Cessna have dual alternators), so if flying in serious IMC conditions you must have a plan B ready (but not really different than flying IMC in any single egine a/c) because you have less than 30 mins battery running if the ALT fails.

But on the other side, like a couple of colleagues of mine usually say: "it's just a Garmin 430 on steroids" :E
Many functions (especially GPS/NAV) are very similar and if you are famliar with a 430/530 unit the transition should be easy.
At least I find them very similar.

I simply love it. Even for instruction is great because you get rid of parallax error.

:ok: G1000

411A
15th Jun 2009, 01:35
That's interesting to know a light aircraft can have a glass cockpit.
All newly produced Cessna single engine aircraft come so-equipped...IE: you cannot order anything else.
Been this way for two years, at least.

The latest bees knees in design for GA airplanes....and fully approved for area nav (GPS/WAAS) approaches, from the get-go.

Capt Pit Bull
16th Jun 2009, 08:55
Pablo,

you have a pm.

pb