PDA

View Full Version : Oz Flying School

aussiefan
14th Jun 2009, 04:18
Wanting to get some recomendations on where to learn. We can basically go anywhere in Oz.
we are about to go to Darwin.
Also looking at something south of Sydney but can't see much on the net. If not Murrayfield in WA with RACWA or Bunbury/Busselton WA.
Want somewhere organised that is not going to mess me around. I have the cash and want the CPL and to do it as fast and efficiently as possible.

Thinking it would be best to aviod Jandakot and Bankstown as they are too busy/congestion.

Open to suggestions.

aussiefan
14th Jun 2009, 05:19
Hi,
From WA, and getting the lic for a career. Not airlines though.

Been around flying all my life, family in the business.
I have done some lessons a few years ago but got messed around, 4 instructors in 4 months etc, don't want to do that again...

PlankBlender
14th Jun 2009, 10:44
aussiefan, choose a small established school and a dedicated senior instructor who will stay with you and the school. I can recommend an excellent person around Brisbane who works with a superb ATO and who will most probably be able to get you to CPL in the time you want. PM me for details if you're interested.

Brisbane is also a good idea lifestyle-wise, not too dear to live but has all the infrastructure you're likely to need and want, is close to most of the cities of the East Coast, and has on offer more outdoor fun than you can poke a stick at :} not to speak of some great flying in the area..

WIKI44
14th Jun 2009, 18:11
aussiefan check your inbox

aseanaero
15th Jun 2009, 03:28
Parafield , South Oz not a bad place to learn to fly either

bill.lumbergh
16th Jun 2009, 03:43
Flown at a couple of schools at Jandakot, Bankstown and Camden over the years. Faced some of the same issues from time to time that you raised. Best place hands down was Curtis Aviation at Camden. Great planes and very, very professional and knowledgeable staff from the receptionist to the instructors, CFI and owner. Camden will also give you good exposure to CTAF, GAAP, gliders, grass strip, sealed strip AND Top Gear tv crew all depending on what day you fly:eek:.

One word of caution since you are from WA. Weather is a factor in Sydney and will ground you considerably more often than at YPJT (which translates to sometimes rather than almost never). Saying that, if you can handle the odd cancellation, it will make you a better pilot. My flight test in Sydney had me diverting left, right and centre around showers and low cloud over the Blue mountains, dodging numerous restricted airspaces and spending half my test in IMC (ICUS of course) with partial panel through controlled airspace. Suffice to say I learned a lot about making the RIGHT command decisions. After passing that I am confident I can make the right decisions to handle anything the west coast may throw at me.

Flying Binghi
16th Jun 2009, 04:00
Brisbane is also a good idea lifestyle-wise, not too dear to live but has all the infrastructure you're likely to need and want, is close to most of the cities of the East Coast.....

i'd second PlankBlender - just another no winter woolies day today...:)

b_sta
16th Jun 2009, 04:13
i'd second PlankBlender - just another no winter woolies day today...

Thursday A shower or two. Min 11 Max 21
Friday A shower or two. Min 13 Max 21
Saturday A few showers. Min 14 Max 21
Sunday Showers. Min 14 Max 21
Monday Showers. Min 15 Max 21

Shame about the rest of the week hey :}