PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Take Delivery of First Typhoons

ORAC
13th Jun 2009, 22:58
Defense News (http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4136614&c=EUR&s=AIR)

dalek
14th Jun 2009, 11:11
I was told that when the first Tornado landed, a Kfir flashed over the top.
Any truth in that story?

Wensleydale
14th Jun 2009, 18:15
Have they managed to lose one yet?

Gainesy
15th Jun 2009, 13:54
When they delivered the first batch of Hawks the BAe pilots flew in the back seat on the last leg so it looked to the waiting throng of Princes, media etc that Abdul Bloggs in the front had done all the work. The back-seaters did the actual landings though.:)

Tom the Tenor
15th Jun 2009, 14:17
I suppose the RC Archbishop of Riyadh will pop in to the airfield on the Typhoons arrival to give them a blessing with Holy Water!

Lightning Mate
15th Jun 2009, 14:31
I suppose the RC Archbishop of Riyadh will pop in to the airfield on the Typhoons arrival to give them a blessing with Holy Water!

Nah.....that'll be sadiqi.

Monty77
16th Jun 2009, 18:10
All of you have just commented.

Look at what you have written, and then slag off the many thousands of Westerners who take the tax-free dollar.

Are they to be judged, for working tax-free in a country that has public executions? Is that beyond the pale? They're all on the make, and turn a blind eye to the customs of the country in which they make an amazing amount of money.

You all know one. So before you slag off the provider (who regards you with appropriate disdain), there's a hand that feeds, so don't bite it.

Don't have to like it, but imagine a Middle East dominated by a nuclear-equipped Iran.

Double Zero
16th Jun 2009, 20:22
Call me Nostradamus, but I have a feeling Iran ain't gonna get as far as nuclear equipped; how they fail to have it is up to them.

As for chums working for Saudi etc, well to put up with the conditions they deserve good money - they give up a lot too to be there, so good luck to them.

It may be helful to UK / West to have apparently well equipped ' friendly states ' in region, though as you say in a perfect world the medieval practices and attitude ( cruelty, + never build a school or hospital if you can line your own pocket instead ) would mean we never dealt with them.

As they seem to fancy operating modern equipment and can't do it themselves, they need people who can.

Disdain goes both ways.

saudipc-9
17th Jun 2009, 01:50
They're all on the make, and turn a blind eye to the customs of the country in which they make an amazing amount of money.

I don't recall being "on the make" I was paid fairly and squarely to do a job. I also did not turn a blind eye to anything! Monty, you are painting everyone who works or worked in Saudi with a very wide brush and I for one take offence!

Captain Sand Dune
17th Jun 2009, 04:14
Monty 77. Unless you've been there you are not qualified to make such comments.

As someone famous once said; better you keep quiet and have people think you're a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Lightning Mate
17th Jun 2009, 10:18
"They're all on the make, and turn a blind eye to the customs of the country in which they make an amazing amount of money."

I worked there for five years (QFI).
None of us turned a blind eye to Saudi customs. After all, it is their country.

If anything, it was the other way round. They knew full well that we had a bar on our compound but never raided us because we didn't flaunt it.

None of us ever turned up for work with alcohol on our breath.

You could walk down dark alleys at two in the morning with no risk of being mugged. Try that here!

As for "being on the make", what's wrong with working hard in a strange country and being rewarded for it?

Double Zero
17th Jun 2009, 16:55
What's wrong with it ? Monty isn't doing it, that's what's wrong with it...

soddim
17th Jun 2009, 21:37
Lest there be any doubt about the integrity of those expats who work in support of our military aircraft sales to Saudi, one reason why they still buy British is that they like the quality of our military training. That quality is delivered by those same expats.

Believe me, they earn their salaries - unlike some of our MPs who steal to supplement theirs.