PDA

View Full Version : Furloughed Australian Crews

Loose Mast Nut
13th Jun 2009, 21:27
Been hearing the rumour for a few weeks now, that a large Australian (American) Helicopter Company and not National First, is planning to retrench a large percentage of its workforce, mainly pilots.

Can this be confirmed?

Also rumoured that an Industrial Group are watching the foreign labour (pilots) content in Australia very closely.

chopper reid
13th Jun 2009, 22:02
Considering the downturn in O & G exploration it's bound to affect pilots/engineers. Let's hope things turn around soon.

peter manktelow
11th Jul 2009, 12:17
this is all a bit strange...here am I , outside looking in.. as in , I have not flown in Oz since 1985 and am currently trying to get back to domestic operations. I fully admit to not being abreast of all that is going on within the Oz offshore helicopter industry BUT what does not jibe is that I do hear that Australia is the next big market. This is sort of backed up with new players appearing. Reminds me a bit of the early 80's when we had Okanagan , Bristow , Commercial (Evergreen) and I think Schreiner....as well a nascent Lloyds ..all vying for a much smaller offshore market than what we have now.
I have not heard of any lay offs and the philosophy I am hearing is that the big players dont want to repeat their mistakes of yesteryear by laying people off , then finding the industry re-surging , only to find that they could not get highly qualified people back again. Hey...look at the price of oil. We used to shudder when it dropped below 20. The oil companies are still doing ok.

spinwing
11th Jul 2009, 19:47
Mmmm ....

What downturn in Oil & Gas Exploration is that ?

Every where seems to be "Flat Out" getting ready for the next round of expansion ....

Yes ... there has been a lot consternation with the "credit crunch" (?) but all those new Rigs and facilities that have been built in the last 2 years are now about to go to work ... Rig/Barge (daily) prices have dropped which makes it cost effective for more work to commence (certainly around the world)... even if they do end up capping rather than producing ... lots of countries want to get clear of the economic control that OPEC have on them.

I have heard much the same as Peter re Oz ... so hope that is true rather than "wishful thinking" ...

Cheers :E

Helibloke
11th Jul 2009, 23:15
I heard the pilots who were let go were from overseas here on contract. The contract finished and the pilots went back.