PDA

View Full Version : Problem with internet

StYdeSoLaToR
12th Jun 2009, 21:29
Hello, I was installing Sony Vegas 9.0 and it required me to install Microsoft C++ 2005, Microsoft C++ 2008, and Windows Media Player 11. It did it automatically for me when I confirmed the required installations. After that, it said I need to reboot and I did reboot my pc and after that, Sony Vegas 9.0 worked fine for me, but I can't log into the internet. I mean my connection is fine and can use messenger programs that require the internet connections such as AIM/MSN, but cannot load any websites on Firefox/IE. When I uninstalled them, my internet worked again. Does this mean I bought the Sony Vegas 9.0 for no reason? There must be some way to fix this =/

Avtrician
13th Jun 2009, 00:46
Dont know why it stopped your web browsers, but it sounds a bit strange that it required C++, as these are programming languages.

bnt
13th Jun 2009, 20:55
I think he means the C++ runtime components, not the full development packages. There's no particular reason why those components should break web browsing. When you say "can't load websites", can you tell us what actually happens? Error messages, etc? Or does the browser itself fail? It's hard to help diagnose something when you only tell us what isn't happening! :8

Saab Dastard
13th Jun 2009, 21:47
Given that the underlying network connection is there (MSN / IM) I would look specifically at the browser configuration - did the installation configure a proxy server, or put the browser into offline mode?

SD

Keef
13th Jun 2009, 22:49
I had a call from a friend earlier this week with exactly the same problem - she could do most net-related things, but not browse. Ipconfig /all showed a connection, but with a very strange IP address, not the one for her network. It looked as if her DNS had been hijacked.

I did an IP renew, then rebooted, and all was working again. She has no idea what she was doing that caused it, and there wasn't anything obvious about. It's been OK since (well, she hasn't called again).