PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Dream, J-Air,etc.

Burrito Pilot
12th Jun 2009, 16:03
Anyone have info on the interview process for EMJ Pilots in Japan? Eg. Fuji Dream, J-Air, etc.?

Medical details, and JCAB training info appreicated.

Thanks.

GoForIt
13th Jun 2009, 02:04
I can't comment on Fuji Dreams.

J-Air does all the hiring through PARC (only Captains). PARC is advertising for pilots who are type rated, but it appears that is only to cover failures in training or people who quit. As of now 22 captains have been hired and are in some stage of training. They originally planned to hire 30 expats, but it appears they have scaled that back due to slower delivery schedule.

The interview is one day for interview / sim, and one day for medical. There is no consistency on the medical. Some were given very stringent physicals, others reported surprisingly easy physicals. The Sim ride was obviously the major criteria, done in a B737NG at JAL training facility in Haneda. Each applicant is given a several pages of information on the profile to fly, which includes V1 cut, SE ILS, and circle to land. Probably some other stuff too, can't remember. They give one warm up session, and then the actual sim evaluation. I think both are evaluations, and they are looking at how well you improve from the first session to the second. This is typical of the way the Japanese train. It isn't really training. They give you a detailed instruction of what will take place in every sim session, you basically memorize it and go into the sim and show them what you can do.

For type rated pilots ground training takes place in Tokyo and Nagoya, and simulator in Singapore. I only know statistics for the first class that went through. Two out of eight failed the simulator training.

Good Luck.

expatpilot4life
15th Jun 2009, 00:56
GOFORIT, make that 4 so far. 2 faıled ın the fırst class, 1 ın ours ın Montreal, and 1 never showed up for traınıng ın the class behınd us. Myself and one other are waıtıng to hear ıf they wıll let us retake the aırlaw, ıf not then ıt wıll be 6 total.

work to live
15th Jun 2009, 13:01
2nd course has just sat JCAB check in Singapore, 4 out of 4 passed. If you are interested in living in Japan,this would be one of the best contracts. J-Air does as much as they possibly can to help you get thru, but it requires work on your part also. Sounds like the last Law exam was one where they changed a lot of questions, we sat the one previous to the changes and everyone passed.

DoubtingThomas
20th Jun 2009, 13:15
Hey all,

I was fortunate enough to be selected for screening in Tokyo later this week.

Thanks for the above sim info but I was wondering if you could provide any details about the panel interview, and what kind of personalities I can expect when I meet with the J-Air and PARC people there?

Thanks in advance!

GoForIt
21st Jun 2009, 11:42
PARC may sit in on the interview (the PARC rep will ask them), but they don't do any interviewing. They will arrive at your hotel a half hour early to kind of brief you on what is going to happen. In my interview, there was one rep from Embraer. He was a really cool guy, Brazilian guy who grew up in California. The PARC rep told me that not all the interviews included a rep from Embraer, but your contract will be with Embraer Asia Pacific, so I suspect they want a say in who is hired. When I had trouble answering a question or making sense of a question, it seemed to be the Embraer guy who was trying to help me through it. There will be one guy from J-Air HR, and then 3 more guys who appear to be retired JAL guys. Nice guys, all of them.

There aren't too many technical questions in the panel interview, but I do recall them asking about how to conserve fuel. I guess they ask that of everyone. They ask some questions about how much you know about Japan, and why you might want to live there. Do you have any Japanese friends? Stuff intended to find out if you are really going to want to live in Japan. That seemed to be a big part of it. They asked if I would want to be a commuter or non-commuter. While I was answering questions, they were going through my logbooks and passport with a fine tooth comb, and asked some questions about them.

In the final analysis, I think the Sim ride is the big deal in the interview. Just relax and be yourself for the interview part. It really didn't last very long.

GoForIt

DoubtingThomas
22nd Jun 2009, 17:39
GoForIt-

Thanks for taking the time to type that up... it's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for!

All the best.