PDA

View Full Version : need pointing in the right direction

SPOON36
12th Jun 2009, 02:26
Hi people,

as we all have the same desire to fly, I'm sure that you all will understand where I'm coming from, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a SA bloke, working in New Zealand (I did thr tertiary thing and went onto become a civil engineer) but coming home in october to start my CPL at 43.
this has always been a dream of mine since a youngster, but all of a sudden I'm shi&&ing myself for what comes next, ie once Iv finished and spent a fortune on training- what then?
i dont know if anyone has gone through the same thing?
I'm fortunate enough to have my old man that will LOAN me the $$, what is worrying me is not being able to get a job after my training, and I'm also aware that the spending wont end at 43, ill have to get ratings etc, which = more $$$

just some advice guys and girls

cheers

Shrike200
12th Jun 2009, 08:51
I'll give a counterpoint argument:

Say goodbye to a stable life, and doing any kind of career planning. Whilst that may sound acceptable now, it may not be so cosy in 10 years when the wife and kids are around (if they aren't already now). Your spending will definitely not end at 43. And, as mentioned, there are cheaper options.

As for the degree helping you through rough times, in my experience working as an engineer is a full time job - you have to choose one or the other. Engineering requires courses and studies to stay current, and if you register professionally (Pr Eng), then even more so. You cannot do that and fly professionally, unless one talks of weekend instruction. Whilst in the beginning, having a career to fall back on may certainly be reassuring, you may not be able to fall back on it several years down the line when your engineering knowledge becomes a little rusty, and companies aren't interested in hiring you.

I've always maintained that flying is a great job, but a terrible career. It's your choice, and I'm sure you're mature enough to appreciate that it won't be without it's pitfalls. Good luck with your decision one way or another.

Xshongololo
12th Jun 2009, 10:20
If you are a young chap with a degree and have an adventurous spirit then you will be fine....
Get your Cpl and go and physically find work with your body not your fingertips.
There are great opportunities in Africa if you are prepared to seek them out.
No risk means no reward. Good luck.

Xshongololo
12th Jun 2009, 10:23
From your post..are you 43 or are you going to 43 (which is an air school in SA)

SPOON36
12th Jun 2009, 22:15
Thanks for the replies, they were all informative!
to reply to one of the posts, flying has to be a passion-absolutely!!, which I know I must have, as Iv been thinking about it my whole life- and it never went away-even after becoming a civil eng. (i thought it might-but never).
staying in NZ can be an option for me, visa/residency no issues, but Iv decided to come back and start a career in aviation in SA or Africa, and will see where in the world that takes me.
I will be paying a loan back through my gat iether way, whether I go to 43 airschool or any of the others, I have spoken to a alot of people/pilots about 43, and they all tell me that it is the best, but some of you guys dont seem to think so, keen to hear why??:confused:

too late now, Iv paid the deposit, and starting toward the end of the year, looking forward to it!! (as you all did when you first started training)
and as the first post stated correctly stated, I will worry about 'now' and not the 'later'- but look forward to what this new venture has to offer me in life. I will no doubt keep up to date with Civil Eng. practices and developments where I can, but it is difficult- I say this because I have already started my PPL here, done my 25 Dual and 12 solo, but had to stop, because it was interfering with my current job, and that began to frustrate the living hell out of me.

again, thanks for the responses.

keep well and safe

SPOON36
14th Jun 2009, 03:09
25 yrs- off to 43 airschool...

ARENDIII
15th Jun 2009, 20:17
Let's try and sum this up.
You have received some very valuable information from the previous posts.

My dad who is an architect, raised eyebrows when I decided to go flying once told me of a very good friend of his who studied to be a civil engineer. He was apparently very good at his job but he hated it.
When I asked my dad what he thought I should become-he wisely said,
"Whatever you decide to do, be the best at it, study hard and heed the advice of others that have preceeded you" He said that he would support me in anything I did.
I then went on to fly in the South African Air Force and it was indeed a proud Dad when his son left wings course 2/77 with best in flying.
To this day I still thank him for believing in me and that he allowed me to pursue what my heart desired.
I can honestly say that I look forward to whatever the day brings. It is always good, sometimes it's really, really, good-a lot depends on how you look at things.
Your tertiary qualifications stand you in good stead.
If you decide to continue flying-all bets are off, except that what you put in you will surely reap. One good sunrise climbing through FL250 at 0500 in the morning may stop all the gripes for the day. Whatever happens-fly safely.
Hope all works out.
Arend III.

SPOON36
16th Jun 2009, 00:17
ARENDIII:

Thanks for the post- I see a starke similarity between what my old man said to me and what yours said to you- I think that alot of people, including some of my family see flying as a hobby and a far cry from a proper job- my Dad was like that, but the ever present passion to fly for myself soon rubbed off onto him- I think the fact that I have been studying and working for 9 years now since matriculating and not being happy with my career sparked it off.
I was home in December, and I sat down with him 3 days before coming back to New Zealand around the braai and asked him: Dad, I'm not old yet, but I need to start thinking seriously about 2 things: do I take a moerse loan out to buy a house? or do I take a moerse loan out to learn how to fly?
My old man always seemed to have the answers immediatly, however this time he took three days to say: I will support you in what you want to do- stop smoking, slow down on the cabernet and shiraz (never had a problem) and finish the year off to the best of your ability and come home at the end of the year to persue your dream.
That made me the happiest son alive! I'm not sure if it was the flying bit, or the bit that my old man said go for it.
I cannot wait to see the sunrise at FL250 at 5am, I dont care how long it takes me, because i know that i will cherish and enjoy every second of it!
4 more months of sitting behind a PC!!

thanks again,

safe flying.

Gregg

Csanad007
16th Jun 2009, 21:05
What you really need to realize is that this is passion. Passion for professionalism. As you are an engineer (or will be) you must know that professional flying is endless learning.

And if this helps although I'm not yet a pilot:
I'm 34 years old now. I have a family (meaning woman and 10 mo's old baby). I'm a media**** guy here in Hungary. Been doing this job for almost 15 years now. But one day I woke up and realised that all I was doing is crap.
Because I always wanted to fly but sacrificed flying for money and comfort.

I realized that everything is bull**** if you are not doing what you are dreaming of. If you are not doing the No1 thing.

So if you are the one who's reading every aviation magazine and news, watches every aviation movie lifts his head whenever an airplane flies by, has underwear with Snoopy with goggles then GO.

It won't be an easy one but as someone mentioned the climb at sunrise and lots of lots of miracles will be rewarding.

Press on

Csanad

Cue Ball
22nd Jun 2009, 09:02
SPOON 36

I know exactly what you are feeling, I too did the varsity thing and only started flying professionally when I was 27. I got my degree but never practiced my profession. I knew all along I wanted to fly but my dad, who never had the oppurtunity to get a tertiary education, insisted I get one. I don't regret it for one minute as I made some lifelong friends and enjoyed myself to the max ( read partied hard). However eventually in my final year it all came to a head and I confessed to my dad that I really wanted to fly and not work behind a desk my whole life. He supported my decision and said that being happy in your job is of paramount importance irrespective of how much you get paid. He agreed to pay for my ppl and night rating( which I did during my final year) and then said I would have sort out the com myself. That was fair enough, he had funded 5 years of varsity and a ppl so at least I was on my way. I had to work in an offfice for 2 years( hated it) to pay for my com training but it was all worth it. I got my com and struggled to get my first job but I kept at it and today I have my dream job in an airline, it took me 7 years to get here but I have seen things and been places people would never dream of going ( mostly because no one would ever want to go there). However today I have mates who are partners in big firms making huge salaries but I can promise you this, very few if any of them look forward to going to work every day and they don't come close to enjoying and loving their jobs like I do. They often ask me don't you get bored and my reply is the same every time, absolutely not no day is ever the same and you get to see some awsome views at 35000ft, including sunrises at 5am which will take your breath away. So I hope those couple of months go fast and you can be on your way to the best job on the planet.
Good luck and never give up on your dreams.
CB:ok: