PDA

View Full Version : SACPL or FAACPL

chileno 777
11th Jun 2009, 22:21
Have just finished the PPL in South Africa and planning to continue with the CPL/ME. My big problem is that I do not know where to do the CPL course. In South Africa the flying standards are high but the CPL theory part is a nightmare (similar to JAA i guess). There are 8 written exams and apparently more than 60% of the theory that the prospective student should learn, will never use it as a commercial pilot. I do know that the FAA training is more practical and the written papers are less complicated, hence, less time consuming and more focused on what is (in my humble opinion) the most important....the flight training. To be very honest I am struggling with the theory..pls do not get me wrong I do not have any problem at all to study (I have a university degree) but due to my age (34) I would like to finish the CPL as soon as possible (although having the proper training). Could you pls give me any advice?
By the other hand is the ground school/training in USA so bad that with 200 hrs the new CPL pilot does not know anything about basic things? Is the "aeronautical science" that we have to learn here in South Africa (8 subjects) so important to be a comm pilot? Are I am going to use it as a comm pilot?
I am planning to work in Africa (to gain experience and build hours) and then hopefully to return to my home country.

Thanks

ERETHERE
14th Jun 2009, 22:00
I guess it depends where you want to work at the end of your training. If you wish to gain a job within a JAA state you maybe better getting a JAA/CPL. If an FAA licence is classed as an ICAO licence (I have asked that on a previous thread as I am not too sure), then I have seen job adverts for holders of ICAO licences. I am sure some members with a lot more experience than myself will be able to advise further.