PDA

View Full Version : "Navy Pilot" ad.

doubledolphins
11th Jun 2009, 12:28
Seeing the current recruiting commercials on tv reminded me of my youth and the reson behind my eventual career choice.

The RN is advertising directly for pilots, the RAF is advertising that "you don't have to be a pilot to fly in the RAF".

All those years ago the RN recruiter asked me what I wanted to be in the Navy. I told him and we moved on to the next question. When the RAF chap asked me asked he got the same reply. He then asked me if I knew of any other jobs in the airforce, like catering. 30 years and 12,000 hours later I am eternally greatful to the RN for letting me achieve my ambition. I guess the RAF should be greatfull that they have had decent food for all that time as well!

Was any one else out there infuenced in the same way by these differing attitudes?

JTIDS
11th Jun 2009, 12:36
The link to the game and the advert if any one is interested... apparently I have promise!

Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/careers-roles/fly-navy/)

cazatou
11th Jun 2009, 12:54
dd

RN don't worry about spelling then?

:=

doubledolphins
11th Jun 2009, 14:07
Not much, no. Besides we had writers to bother about that sort of thing when I joined up.

BEagle
11th Jun 2009, 14:19
Tale of a chap who, when asked to give 2 branch preferences by the RAF recruiter, wrote:

1. GD/Pilot
2. Chaplain

When asked WTF, he replied "Both are sky pilots - and I do NOT want to be a f****** half-wing half-brain navigator!".

Don't know whether he ever made it into a cockpit.

Gainesy
11th Jun 2009, 16:04
RAF had Press ads in the late 70s with the headline :"Fed up of doing the same thing every day?"

I was, so I left:)

Impiger
11th Jun 2009, 18:30
I suspect there's many the time you've been saved by the half-winged directional consultancy team!

BEagle
11th Jun 2009, 21:50
'twas not me wot said that, Impiger mon vieu!

But I do recall flying around RAFG during BOLD GAUNTLET. "Where are we, Impiger?", quoth I. "Haven't a clue, mate", came your reply. XV478, 19 May 1983, to be precise!

How goes retirement - have they shown you how to melt the cheese yet...:p?

foldingwings
12th Jun 2009, 08:30
BEagle,

You are so full of crap sometimes:=:

Don't know whether he ever made it into a cockpit.

What you mean is:

Don't know whether he ever existed.

Foldie

Union Jack
12th Jun 2009, 10:25
I seem to recall that the advertising slogan "Join the Navy and see the world" was countered by "Join the Royal Air Force and see the next .....":ouch:

Jack

Fake Sealion
12th Jun 2009, 11:11
I , like a fair number of others at the time, joined the RN as a pilot after serving in a University Air Squadron. Mid 1970's
Being in close company with my RAF mates I was not overly impressed with the culture of the RAF at that time and thought flying in the RN held more appeal to me.
The UAS basic pilot training and the first steps towards good airmanship was of course a great help during RN training. I'm sure the AIB recognised this and were grateful to the UAS system!

Can't recall the recruitment slogans prevailing then but I am sure the RAF ones featured dodgy artists impressions of the "MRCA" sweeping accross the German countryside and chaps in bathers sipping G&T's at the RAF Akrotiri swimming pool.:ok:

BEagle
12th Jun 2009, 11:23
foldie, you're probably right - I suspect it was one of those apocryphal 'mate of a mate' tales told to me many years ago!

Like the Shackleton making an approach on a USN carrier - and that oft told tale of the USN ship vs. the lighthouse....:hmm:

camelspyyder
12th Jun 2009, 19:05
I particularly liked the Navy's TV ads last year which seemed to focus heavily on Fast Jets whizzing past ships...Oh they haven't got any!!

FJs I mean...;)

Beags, I dont know about Shack v's CVN but I have been on a Nimrod doing a PAR to one in the Med. I think the guys on the deck found the 100' overshoot even more exciting than we did ...

john50uk
13th Jun 2009, 02:30
"I seem to recall that the advertising slogan "Join the Navy and see the world" was countered by "Join the Royal Air Force and see the next ....."

Or join the Army and sweep it.:(

Riskman
14th Jun 2009, 18:04
I remember seeing "Fly Navy, Sail RAF, Eat crow" on a zap but I'm not sure if this was a comment on Army catering or not.:confused:

Beatriz Fontana
14th Jun 2009, 18:09
Best ad of recent years was for the Bootnecks...

"Royal Marines: 99.9% need not apply"

And they didn't.

Gainesy
15th Jun 2009, 09:06
Like the Shackleton making an approach on a USN carrier

:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/Gainesy/shackcarrier.jpg