PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Log In To Hotmail Etc.

TURIN
11th Jun 2009, 10:01
So here's the thing.

A few weeks ago I had a problem logging in to the Inland Revenue to file my tax return.
Shortly after that I found that I could not log in to GMail, Hotmail etc.
In addition access within some other websites was limited, EG Fantasy Premier League (could log in but could not access the transfer players bit).

This all with my Compaq Presario Laptop (WIN XP SP2).

Both IE and Firefox had the same problems.

My Media Centre PC (running Vista) has no problem at all.

I have tried a direct wired network and wireless, both have the same problem.

Did all the virus scans, AVAST, Spybot, CCleaner. Nothing found.

Removed AVAST, downloaded AVG 8.5, ran that-nothing.

Thought I had the VUNDO Trojan, loaded a remove tool, nothing found.

Finally I thought, Bugger it! I'll format and reload my OS.

Had to buy a Replacement OS/Driver bundle from HP (£25). As last one mislaid. :O

Did this yesterday so I now have a nice clean laptop, reloaded AVAST to stop any nasties, and tried to log in to Hotmail.

Same problem.

Only thing I haven't done is change the router and I don't see how that would help as my PC works with no problems through the same router.

Any ideas?? I'm all out and ready to chuck it through the window!:ugh::{

In fact I have just had to copy this across to my PC to get it to send as my laptop just timed out when I tried to post . :confused:

green granite
11th Jun 2009, 11:04
MAC address problem in the router?

Saab Dastard
11th Jun 2009, 11:50
I'll format and reload my OS.

Was this a re-install over the top, or a complete "delete partitions and start over"?

SD

TURIN
11th Jun 2009, 12:47
It was a complete reload, partitions delete full format.

parabellum
11th Jun 2009, 13:05
Highly probable that this is way off the mark, but, I keep the Opera browser on my machine without any security restrictions at all. When I can't access a website using IE, FF etc. (which do have security control), I use Opera and 99 times out of a hundred I can get in. I see it as a cookies problem.

Saab Dastard
11th Jun 2009, 13:10
Are there filters in your router that are blocking certain protocols (e.g. HTTPS) for that MAC / IP address?

Have you set up the network connection incorrectly? Is this a wired / wireless, static / DHCP configuration? Have you got the same IP configuration on the Vista and XP PCs - particularly regarding DNS?

Have you copied back anything from your original configuration (from backup)?

SD

TURIN
11th Jun 2009, 14:01
SD

It looks like it's the router.

I have just tried another router and that works fine. Trouble is it's only got one ethernet connection and it's not wireless.

I still don't understand why my original router just suddenly stopped accepting my laptop hotmail access but the PC continues to work fine.

Regarding your questions..

I haven't copied anything back from my original OS setup. I did a complete wipe and reinstalled all the drivers from the supplied disc.

My connection are

PC.. Wired.

Laptop.. Wired or Wireless

As far as I know the configs are identical for both. I will have to check.

Thanks for your time.:ok:

Ancient Observer
12th Jun 2009, 13:18
If you do find out the issue, do please let us know! Those of us without SD's skills do find these stories useful...........it'll probably happen to us........
thanks

Saab Dastard
12th Jun 2009, 14:41
If it's your router, have you tried a reset to factory settings?

If not, it may clear the problems. Obviously, ensure you have recorded all the settings before wiping it.

When setting it back up (if you go down this road), test while it is in as near to default as possible, then add back settings, test, add back settings etc.

SD

N727NC
12th Jun 2009, 15:47
Had a couple of weeks struggling with various login difficuties - including my router (Netgear 834 GT) declining to let me log into its homepage. Only time I could get into the homepage was just after a powerup.
Finally cured by:

saving my settings.
uploading the latest firmware from the OEM's site.
done a factory reset using the recessed button at the back.
reloading my settings.
Carefully checked that all of my MAC settings (in the LAN IP Setup Table) were correct.I went through the process twice before the router settled down. I can only think that either a previous firmware upload had not gone through properly, or that my shuffling around computers in the house (ie, moving MAC allocations amongst names) might have scrambled things.

Hope this is useful.

TURIN
17th Jun 2009, 11:34
Reset the router and just set it up again.

Nil fix!!!!:mad:

May have to go shopping at this rate.

Thanks for all your help.:ok:

Keef
17th Jun 2009, 12:48
I keep a spare (old, clunky) Alcatel Frog in the cupboard for those moments when the Internet seems stroppy. Unplug the nice wireless modem router, plug in the Frog, log in, and see.

When it's not the ADSL down (happened a lot with the previous ISP, very rarely with this one) the act of swapping over and back seems to fix it.

I suspect sometimes that just waving the Frog in front of the "normal" device would fix it.

Guest 112233
17th Jun 2009, 13:22
I have has this prob too - Do you have other telecomms communication equipment in the vacinity of your home. I mistakenly thought were on wireless ADSL (I had co channel interfearence for months - The source was not broadcasting its SSID ) - An additional problem that I encountered was electrical interfearence from a problematic Cable TV distribution cabenet outside the house.

CAT III

TURIN
19th Jun 2009, 22:56
Well b*gger me! it works!

So, here's the fix.

In IE.

Tools

Internet Options..

Programs (tab)..

Email..

Select Hotmail on the drop down menu.

Apply and exit.

Amazing. It has fixed all the trouble I was having, not just the hotmail one. Wierd!

Thanks for all your help.:ok:

Ancient Observer
21st Jun 2009, 16:02
Is that wierd? I struggle to see why that fix worked, when another router was also one of your fixes. Some deep inter-relationship between IE and your router. Maybe they are having a software affair?
My pc used to have an affair between HP and IE, but they had a terrible bust-up, and HP sulked for a very long while. She is still sulking, as the scanner won't work from the printer end, amd only reluctantly works from the control panel end................and it appeared to be IE's fault.

green granite
21st Jun 2009, 19:23
:confused::confused::confused:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/orangeherald/tools.jpg

I don't have an E-Mail Drop down menu.

TURIN
22nd Jun 2009, 10:39
Green granite.

Try the 'Set Programs' button under INTERNET PROGRAMS from that screen you have there.

What version of IE are you running by the way?

Is that wierd? I struggle to see why that fix worked, when another router was also one of your fixes. Some deep inter-relationship between IE and your router.

Me neither Mr Mariner. Someone with a deeper understanding of these things will no doubt work it out-all I know is it worked for me. GMail and all the other websites I was having problems with all work ok now. :ok:

green granite
22nd Jun 2009, 11:00
What version of IE are you running by the way?

IE8, if I use the set programs button it puts me straight into the relevant page of the control panel. Not that I have any problems accessing hot-mail. I only tried it to see what else was in the drop-down menu.