PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude tests

planedriver7
11th Jun 2009, 05:48
Hi there!
I really need some help, I read from a page that an interview process for a major airline contains Aptitude test. I was wondering if anybody has a better idea on type's of questions asked or is there an online exams which i could practice on.

I Really appreciate your help!!

golfcharlie232
13th Jun 2009, 13:06
Here is a link to the famous cockpitweb pilot aptitude tests ... :
Pilot computer test software: pilot aptitude test, job application, pilot recruitment, pilapt. (http://www.cockpitweb.com/pilottest.html)
It's rather expensive but I guess it's worth it.
It's usually used during the selection processes before starting training by FTOs so I'm not quite sure that what you're looking for ...
There's a description of the content if you follow the link.

planedriver7
16th Jun 2009, 02:25
I check the page out and its exactly what i have been looking for.. Although Its a bit expensive. Due you think its worth the Buy??. golf charlie Thanks a lot for the Info.... really.... appreciate it.

NickFry
10th Jul 2009, 13:09
Is there a specific personality profile being sought?extrovert versus introvert,emotional/empathic versus cold/objective??:ugh:
Also very interested in this. Is it better to be on a more middle ground/reserved side?

Chilli Corneto
11th Jul 2009, 00:33
Statistically (according to most PPL human factors book I've seen) a 'Stable Extrovert' makes an ideal Pilot. The three others being 'Stable Introvert', 'Unstable Introvert' & 'Unstable Extrovert' (Think 'The Joker' in Batman / The Dark Knight).

In reality though everyone has slightly different personalities and what pushes a button for someone might not bother the next. Some Captains are anally retentive, others are not. It's how you cooperate with them that generates good / bad CRM. I would like to think that no one flying would be classified as 'Unstable'. I'm sure others have met a few that could be though!

Pilots are also generally 'Goal-orientated' & 'Person-orientated'. Academically a 'good' pilot lies between these two positive traits. So there is a nice balance between achieving what needs to be done and using the human resources available to them. As well as a couple of other elements. Empathy generally plays an important role as it allows you to take on board other people's feelings, emotions and ideas. This is just one good trait amongst many to have.

Unfortunately the majority of psychometric tests will be cleverly written so that you can't really bias the results and answer what you think should be correct. The same question maybe repeated a number of times and worded differently each time. The best practice is to simply answer it as honestly as possible. This way you decrease your chances of being 'found out' as someone who is trying to tick the most suitable answer. Selection teams will always say there is no right or wrong answer but your answers will ultimately categorise you as one of the 4 personalities above. So best not to say you like boiling your ex's bunny rabbits. ;)

I've met a whole range of pilots who are generally all of similar make up. Easy-going, light-hearted, professional, some quiet, some not so quiet etc etc. If going to any interview / selection process I wouldn't be the quiet, reserved guy / gal that sits in the corner wondering when someone is going to come over and talk to me. Likewise I wouldn't be the person standing in the middle bragging to every one about the women they slept with last night with huge knockers. The middle ground is more ideal as you're in a better position to take on everyone's opinions. From those that wear their heart on their sleeve to those that need a bit of encouragement to voice their opinions.

The ability to talk to people at all levels is vitally important in aviation. :ok:

NickFry
11th Jul 2009, 04:04
Thanks Chilli that's a very helpful post!

captainataya
12th Nov 2010, 00:36
hey....
am taking the aptitude test at the end of the month at FTE...so i was advised train on the cockpit programme ....put i found out that in the 2d tracking there are three types (lines moving according to movement of joystick).. so i was wondering if enyone took the test...my question to them is :
if i move the joystick upwords the horizontal line will move up or or down.
and if i move the joystick in the right direction , the vertical line will move to the right or the left.

and if there is eny advise ....about the apptitude test pleaaase share it thanx :uhoh: