PDA

View Full Version : Congrats CASA for a great Error Management Roadshow

PlankBlender
10th Jun 2009, 21:02
As our dear regulator gets so much bad rap here (and sometimes deservedly so :\), I wanted to take the opportunity to dish out a compliment:

Attended the CASA Error Management Roadshow in Brisbane yesterday, and just wanted to thank the organisers for putting together a very informative and worthwhile day that actually exceeded my expectations by far. :ok:

Tony Kern delivered a superb performance I felt, and gave me and -- judging from the generous applause and the questions -- a lot of the other participants a fair bit to think about on how to improve our standards and safety, far beyond the usual HUF/TEM/CRM components that were to be expected and duly delivered also.

If you can get yourself onto the list for one of the upcoming events in the other centres, I'd say go for it, it just might make you that little bit safer, as the man said, you don't know when you'll need it :}

tmpffisch
10th Jun 2009, 22:59
Onya PlankBender.

I got my hands on the Safety Behaviours pack that CASA released a few months ago yesterday and its quite informative, and the production on the DVD is surprisingly good. HUF/TEM/CRM is extremely important because as you all know accounts in some way for 75% of all accidents. Glad to see its high on CASA's priority list.

cficare
11th Jun 2009, 01:43
Went to the roadshow in Launceston last night (with about 70 others). Got underway just after 6pm finished about 9:45pm (with a 15 min break).
It was way too long and lost a lot of impact as a result.
I was disappointed.

PlankBlender
11th Jun 2009, 03:00
Hmm, cficare, I wonder what they changed in the format to alter the experience that much for you?! Sorry to hear you didn't like it, I found Tony quite an inspiration. :ok:

It was 9-5 in Brissie, with enough time spent on Tony's cutting edge research with the military in the US to make it very interesting, and just enough of a summary of the run of the mill HUF/TEM/CRM to not let it get boring.

Might want to check out the web resources he provided..

One quote that stuck with me particularly is this (here verbatum from the blog, also one of the central points of his remarks yesterday):

many of us have lost the distinction between accuracy (good enough to get by) and precision (as good as I can be). Or perhaps better said, we have lost sight that precision is important in life - or worth the effort.

Good on ya Tony, the industry sure needs more pilots like you! :D

megle2
12th Jun 2009, 05:32
CFICARE - There was no Human factors course in Launy.
Brisbane / Wednesday
Cairns / Today ( Friday ).

Maybe your talking about a different course.
Our course was all day and was excellent.

No Body
12th Jun 2009, 10:42
I was going to go to the Hobart one, but unfortunately they cancelled it due to lack of interest :(

Dog One
12th Jun 2009, 12:39
cficare - I think you probably went to a Aviation Safety Seminar, which normally run for about 3 hrs.

tasdevil.f27
13th Jun 2009, 00:51
Correct, different event at LST.

ITCZ
15th Jun 2009, 12:03
The full 9-5 seminar was excellent.

If you are tired of 1980's CRM and find attending "human factors" courses like watching midday movie re-runs, do yourself a favour. Get to this seminar. Its a breath of fresh air.

The man has credibility and depth of knowledge, but he keeps it practical and useable.

And its free, fer chrissakes!

Captain Klink
19th Jun 2009, 10:41
Have just got home from today's seminar in Perth and concur with all the previous positive comments. Well worth the time if you get the chance to attend any future events. A very knowledgeable presenter who, I think, has many pilots and engineers having a look at themselves this evening.
:D

john_tullamarine
19th Jun 2009, 12:28
Sounds like my time will be invested well this Monday ...

tmpffisch
19th Jun 2009, 13:05
Absolutely John. I'm looking forward to it too! Was glad to hear they're all booked out.....even glader they were able to fit me in :)

john_tullamarine
20th Jun 2009, 00:55
The chap running the show nowadays (Ben C, whose name may be on your CASA entry pass email) is recently ex-RAAF, keen as mustard on the subject ... and a hell of a nice bloke to boot.

Tony Kern's reputation is such that one would be foolish not to listen to his observations, I suspect. Much the same as when Dick Wood was out some years ago.

john_tullamarine
23rd Jun 2009, 04:57
... I think that we all came away with food for thought from yesterday's session ...

FL170
23rd Jun 2009, 08:10
Great to hear its worthwhile. I'm going along to the session this Friday at BK sports. Any advice on things to bring, or is it mostly sit and listen?

Cheers FL170:ok:

megle2
23rd Jun 2009, 08:51
You just need to be on time and bring your eyes and ears.
There should be morning tea ect.

No need to take notes.

Horatio Leafblower
26th Jun 2009, 10:46
What an awesome day :ok:

Nice to run into a few old friends (why do all my old friends work for CASA? :eek: )

I would normally have had deep misgivings about a CASA safety seminar but the delivery and the material were delivered by Kern in great style.

yes the whole show probably used the same old CRM/hum fac stuff as a launching point but the emphasis on individul improvement was inspirational.

There were a few airline guys there in the SY session today asking questions about fatigue etc.... I would be interested in their opinions about the session, considering the volume of CRM etc they are forced to digest.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough... if CASA ever run a repeat, make sure you are there. :ok:

FL170
26th Jun 2009, 11:01
I concur completlely with horatio, not only managing to be inspirational yet funny at the same time..

"If your pee is clear that is a good thing,
If your pee is slightly yellow you should be drinking more,
If your pee is dark yellow you are very dehydrated,
If your pee is red you should have a think about your dating arrangements and probably see a doctor"

A great day for all thanks CASA:ok:

PPRuNeUser0163
26th Jun 2009, 23:35
I attended the conference in Sydney yesterday as well and can't speak highly enough of the extremely informative presentation by the keynote speaker Tony Kern, as well as the organisation and introduction by Ben Cook- Casa's Human Factors Manager.

I was sitting with quite a few QF longhaul pilots, engineers, ATSB safety investigators but I couldn't help but be a bit dissapointed (albeit not shocked because I knew this would happen) that one student pilot from Bankstown had bothered to show up!

Also very positive to see the ATO from the Bankstown Mid air attend- I thought it was a very honourable thing to do facing a pretty severe investigation at the moment which is almost certainly centred on the very topics discussed yesterday on Human Factors.

Great day for all- Full credits to CASA, Ben Cook, Tony Kern and the team who made it possible!

Bullethead
27th Jun 2009, 05:29
I'll second all the previous coments about what a good value day it was. Interesting to know there was a sizable PPruNe representation, me included, there.

Some reading and work to do now.

Regards,
BH.

djpil
27th Jun 2009, 06:37
Excellent stuff, everyone should have a chance to do this. i.e. everyone in the country, as the general version applies to all - perhaps a better High School subject than a lot currently offered.

Horatio Leafblower
27th Jun 2009, 10:34
...Johnathon Livingstone Seagull springs to mind.... :ok: