PDA

View Full Version : Florida flying - Fixed wing and Heli

airbourne
10th Jun 2009, 03:09
I had a look through the search facility. Its needs a bit of an update. Looking for recommendations for both fixed wing and helicopter hire in or around Orlando. Is OFT still in operation?

I am going to be in Orlando for a week in September and wouldnt mind taking something for a bit of a jolly with an instructor to guide me on my way.

How close can you fly to the Kennedy Space Centre or the Space Shuttle launch pads?

Anybody want to personally recommend a school or organisation? I have about 50 hours each on a R44 and a C172, but Im think the 172 would be a damn sight cheaper.

BackPacker
10th Jun 2009, 07:39
When I was at OFT they indeed did have a fleet of fixed wing (PA-28, C152 and C172 mostly) and rotary wing (R22 I believe). The R22s were not all that expensive, as I recall. I considered doing a trial lesson but in the end it didn't work out, schedule-wise.

And OFT is still advertising in the usual magazines, so I would assume they're still in operation.

As far as flying close to the Kennedy Space Center etc.: I think the normal low-flying rules apply, if they're not about to launch. If they are there's a large exclusion zone around the site. Even worse if they're expecting a Shuttle landing.

tdbristol
10th Jun 2009, 08:49
Hi,
I did a fair amount of training last Oct. at Air Orlando based at Orlando Executive KORL, right in the middle of Orlando.
(Air Orlando Aviation (http://www.flyairorlando.com))
I found Air Orlando very professional and intend going back there sometime to do my FAA CPL.
The aircraft seemed to be well looked after (PA28, C172, DA40, DA42) and I was very comfortable renting from them.
One instructor there I would definitely recommend is Greer Rabiega.
If you have the time, recommend a night flight at 9pm: the time the Disney and other fireworks go up - great view from the air.

floppyjock
10th Jun 2009, 10:49
Hi

Ive done a lot of flying around Florida and id recommend Air Orlando Aviation as well. Nice people with great facilities inc pilot shop. They also have a great sim which I spent some time in. They did both fixed and rotary when I was there. Not far from Orlando International and right in the city.

I did go and visit OFT to ask a question about my CAA licence and was not impressed by their attitude.

Floppy

airbourne
10th Jun 2009, 17:15
Seems as though Air Orlando is the best option. Money wise, fixed wing seems to be the way to go. i see they have a glass cockpit C172 there. Are you allowed to overfly the cape at all? How close for a camera shot can you go to the take-off pads?

airbourne
15th Jun 2009, 01:38
Looking for R44 operators in or around Orlando. Anybody know or recommend anyone?

BackPacker
15th Jun 2009, 06:43
OFT had an R44 in the hangar. I don't know if this was owned by the school, or private ownership or something else, and whether this could be used for lessons or hire or not. It wasn't brought out of the hanger once during my stay there. You might want to give 'em a call about it.

airbourne
15th Jun 2009, 17:59
Does $575 per hour wet seem expensive to you? Got that from 1 place in Orlando.

BHenderson
16th Jun 2009, 10:56
Yes that seems expensive. For comparison I got an Astro for $365ph wet on the West coast.

airbourne
16th Jun 2009, 21:07
Well the old information super highway here seems a bit slow. Can anyone share experiences of Orlando flying, costs etc?

airbourne
19th Sep 2009, 01:39
I had booked some time with Richard Good up in Ocala. Nice guy, hes from Manchester. Unfortunatly, his heli has gone tech. In Orlando till tuesday, can anyone tell me anywhere that i can fly a 44 for an hour or 2?

Cheers.

BackPacker
19th Sep 2009, 09:17
When I was there OFT had an R44 in the hangar. I don't know if this was available for hire, but it might be worth giving them a call about it.